Re: Canadian avenues

  • keith2draw@home.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
      Ron,

      We have no exact evidence, other than what Blanding has stated in
      interviews and generic biographies.

      Page 134 of the Rest of the Road :
      "For a time he lived in Quebec; then he moved on again to Nova Scotia
      and points north, south and east."

      According to Blanding's Chicago Art Institute transcripts, his last
      class was mid-March of 1916...and apparently he saw the play 'Bird of
      Paradise' in Kansas City around late November/early December, on his
      way back from Canada. So he may have been up north for as long as
      eight months, working odd jobs.

      We have no real evidence of this, and I wouldn't even know where to
      start looking...perhaps in a Quebec newspaper...anyone speak french?

      ~~ Keith

    • tamsui1984@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
        --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., keith2draw@h... wrote:

        > We have no exact evidence, other than what Blanding has stated in
        > interviews and generic biographies.

        > According to Blanding's Chicago Art Institute transcripts, his last
        > class was mid-March of 1916...and apparently he saw the play 'Bird
        >of Paradise' in Kansas City around late November/early December, on
        >his
        > way back from Canada. So he may have been up north for as long as
        > eight months, working odd jobs.
        >
        > We have no real evidence of this, and I wouldn't even know where to
        > start looking...perhaps in a Quebec newspaper...anyone speak french?

        Thanks Keith. Sorry for the basic questions. It's going to take
        me a few days to get up to speed with this group. I did read about
        fifty of the archived messages, but NO WAY do I have the time to
        read 2000 stored messages, much of which are sure to be repetitive.
        The basic "Netiquette" I have always practiced since learning
        to Web crawl in early 1996 is, read - think - and then contribute,
        lest I make an ass of myself.

        Another basic question then - one which seems to have preoccupied
        you for well over a year...
        Where did this "Bird of Paradise" anecdote get its start?
        I don't buy it. I think it's a myth. I have the two page
        bio of Blanding from CURRENT BIOGRAPHY (1957)p60 "In 1915 he saw
        the play THE BIRD OF PARADISE starring Lenore Ulric in Kansas City
        and was so entranced by the setting that within a week he was on his
        way to Hawaii." This was repeated in the NEW YORK TIMES obituary.
        How old is the anecdote? Where does it first appear, please?

        Cheers! Ron Jack in B.C.
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
          Ron,

          My reference was to lecture tours in the 1950s. However, in the
          Files is a transcription of a 1931 article from the Honolulu Star-
          Bulletin that mentions DB was vacationing on one of the Thousand
          Islands in August 1931.

          Also in the Files is a Star-Bulletin profile of DB in conjunction
          with his beginning the "Vagabond's House" column in September 1953.
          One paragraph says:

          For 25 years with the World Celebrities Lecture Course on the
          "girdle-gobble-and-gabble" circuit, he has lectured in every State
          in the United States and much of Canada and England, always with the
          theme, "I Love Hawaii."

          DB's 1956-57 lecture tour included a stop in Calgary; I have a
          postcard that DB wrote on May 8, 1957. Other Canadian cities may
          have been part of his itinerary.

          So newspaper articles from almost any year between 1928 and 1957 are
          likely sources of information. If you have access to microfilm or
          bound copies of Canadian newspapers -- an index would help! -- then
          you may be able to locate material.

          ~~Cadia
        • keith2draw@home.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
            Ron,

            You're very perceptive. Blanding was a bit of a showman, and I've
            always felt he embellished his stories and experiences with little
            white lies.

            The first time I can recollect him telling the 'Bird of Paradise'
            story is in the early thirties...which means his facts could have
            been fuzzy by then. For one thing, Lenore Ulrich made the role of
            Luana famous...but she was never performing that role during the time
            DB would have been in KC.

            As you can see, we're still not exactly sure when Blanding DID arrive
            in the islands. My best guess is Dec. 1916 because of his college
            transcripts...but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. He could
            have enrolled for the March 1916 classes, but left in the winter of
            1915 and never attended them.

            We may never know for sure. But I love a mystery...so the search goes
            on.

            ~~ Keith
          • tamsui1984@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
              --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., keith2draw@h... wrote:
              > Ron,
              >
              > You're very perceptive. Blanding was a bit of a showman, and I've
              > always felt he embellished his stories and experiences with little
              > white lies.
              > My best guess is Dec. 1916 because of his college
              > transcripts...but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. He could
              > have enrolled for the March 1916 classes, but left in the winter of
              > 1915 and never attended them.

              Keith... Bingo! You are absolutely right! He enrolled for the
              March 1916 classes in Chicago, but never attended.
              In a day or two I will fill you in on what he was really doing.
              I have to get into my research binders tonight and cross index a
              little.
              Cheers Ron Jack

              PS Keith and Cadio both. My Yahoo account is registered in Asia
              (although I am in greater Vancouver, B.C.)
              which is why the header shows Monday August 6, early a.m.
              If you care that your posts have the correst date and time,
              you cannot bounce my message back with annotations. You have
              to generate a new message. Sorry.
            • Michael Brookman
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
                Cadia, I forgot that you're in Seattle! Thanks to our new Canadian friend,
                Ron, the connection in the little grey cells clicked. I'll be coming from
                Idaho (Shakespeare Fest and backpacking in the Sawtooths) and would like to
                come through your town on the way back to California. If you give me the
                address of your shop, I'll be sure to visit. I should be through on
                September 6th or so. Looking forward to meeting you, I've been visiting
                your website for about 2 years. Thx, michael brookman
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
                  Michael and Ron....

                  As most of the group knows, I do not have a shop at the Market. That
                  is just my mailing address. However, Michael, I would enjoy meeting
                  you in September. Since the 6th is a weekday, I'll be working but
                  I'm sure we can schedule lunch or something. And Ron, if you get
                  down this way, please let me know as well.

                  As for time/date on e-mails, that is controlled by the sender. If a
                  message is sent from the group website (as I generally do), the time
                  is recorded as Pacific (Seattle) time regardless of the location of
                  sender or recipient. In any case, the messages appear in the order
                  received. Many group members do not receive individual e-mails so
                  the time/date on the header is not important anyway.

                  For my personal e-mail address, I frequently get responses to e-mails
                  that appear to have been sent before I even send a message -- mainly
                  because the sender has not set his/her e-mail system to local time.
                  Sometimes even the year is wrong!