Re: Newcomer Intro

  • keith2draw@home.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
      Cadia,

      Just a few errors in your last email.

      Blanding did leave home at 15...but it was to go to Yellowstone, as a
      busboy at the Yellowstone Inn, with an as yet unidentified uncle. He
      worked there for three summers.

      C.S. Hudson was one of four directors of the bank...the president was
      U.C. Coe, the frontier doctor who amoung other deeds delivered
      Dorothy and George Pualmer Putnams baby David.

      Keith
    • tamsui1984@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
        --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., "Cadia Los" <duchess@s...> wrote:
        > Hello, Ron....and welcome!
        > Mice to have another Canadian member of the group (the only other
        one
        > I hope you've also had a chance to look at the material in the
        > Files.

        Thanks Cadio. I recognize that you were the pioneer of this
        Blanding reearch circle, but you lit the fuze of a Keith's
        rocket, and have assembled a cast of Baker Street type sleuths.
        I was actually down to Seattle on July 22, and checked out several
        of the shops in Pike Place Market. I may have even eyeballed you,
        but now that we are acquainted and I will seek you out next time.
        Your website was the first I checked out. Then I jumped to Keith's.

        Yes I will certainly help the group solve a mystery or two. First
        I have to figure out how I can be useful. I have some background
        in history and biography, so I can contribute. The approach of this
        mailgroup seems to be to generate clues, ideas etc, and correct the
        errors as the research leads pay off or dry up. The bonus is that it
        also promotes an interest in Don Blanding's art and poetry. As dear
        Martha says ... "That's a good thing!"

        > By the way, we do know that DB's lecture tours included Canada. Any
        > help you'd care to give in finding more material. . . .
        >
        > ~~Cadia

        I was just looking at Keith's Timeline. He says:
        "1916 - 00/00 Travels up to Nova Scotia"
        and then in a Dec. 30, 2000 contribution to the Society mail list:
        "1913-1916 Addresses - Quebec & Nova Scotia, Canada"

        What is the published or ephemera evidence you both base this on?
        Best Wishes ! I am going to enjoy contributing to this group I think.
        Ron in British Columbia
      • keith2draw@home.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
          Ron,

          We have no exact evidence, other than what Blanding has stated in
          interviews and generic biographies.

          Page 134 of the Rest of the Road :
          "For a time he lived in Quebec; then he moved on again to Nova Scotia
          and points north, south and east."

          According to Blanding's Chicago Art Institute transcripts, his last
          class was mid-March of 1916...and apparently he saw the play 'Bird of
          Paradise' in Kansas City around late November/early December, on his
          way back from Canada. So he may have been up north for as long as
          eight months, working odd jobs.

          We have no real evidence of this, and I wouldn't even know where to
          start looking...perhaps in a Quebec newspaper...anyone speak french?

          ~~ Keith

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
            --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., keith2draw@h... wrote:

            > We have no exact evidence, other than what Blanding has stated in
            > interviews and generic biographies.

            > According to Blanding's Chicago Art Institute transcripts, his last
            > class was mid-March of 1916...and apparently he saw the play 'Bird
            >of Paradise' in Kansas City around late November/early December, on
            >his
            > way back from Canada. So he may have been up north for as long as
            > eight months, working odd jobs.
            >
            > We have no real evidence of this, and I wouldn't even know where to
            > start looking...perhaps in a Quebec newspaper...anyone speak french?

            Thanks Keith. Sorry for the basic questions. It's going to take
            me a few days to get up to speed with this group. I did read about
            fifty of the archived messages, but NO WAY do I have the time to
            read 2000 stored messages, much of which are sure to be repetitive.
            The basic "Netiquette" I have always practiced since learning
            to Web crawl in early 1996 is, read - think - and then contribute,
            lest I make an ass of myself.

            Another basic question then - one which seems to have preoccupied
            you for well over a year...
            Where did this "Bird of Paradise" anecdote get its start?
            I don't buy it. I think it's a myth. I have the two page
            bio of Blanding from CURRENT BIOGRAPHY (1957)p60 "In 1915 he saw
            the play THE BIRD OF PARADISE starring Lenore Ulric in Kansas City
            and was so entranced by the setting that within a week he was on his
            way to Hawaii." This was repeated in the NEW YORK TIMES obituary.
            How old is the anecdote? Where does it first appear, please?

            Cheers! Ron Jack in B.C.
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
              Ron,

              My reference was to lecture tours in the 1950s. However, in the
              Files is a transcription of a 1931 article from the Honolulu Star-
              Bulletin that mentions DB was vacationing on one of the Thousand
              Islands in August 1931.

              Also in the Files is a Star-Bulletin profile of DB in conjunction
              with his beginning the "Vagabond's House" column in September 1953.
              One paragraph says:

              For 25 years with the World Celebrities Lecture Course on the
              "girdle-gobble-and-gabble" circuit, he has lectured in every State
              in the United States and much of Canada and England, always with the
              theme, "I Love Hawaii."

              DB's 1956-57 lecture tour included a stop in Calgary; I have a
              postcard that DB wrote on May 8, 1957. Other Canadian cities may
              have been part of his itinerary.

              So newspaper articles from almost any year between 1928 and 1957 are
              likely sources of information. If you have access to microfilm or
              bound copies of Canadian newspapers -- an index would help! -- then
              you may be able to locate material.

              ~~Cadia
            • keith2draw@home.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
                Ron,

                You're very perceptive. Blanding was a bit of a showman, and I've
                always felt he embellished his stories and experiences with little
                white lies.

                The first time I can recollect him telling the 'Bird of Paradise'
                story is in the early thirties...which means his facts could have
                been fuzzy by then. For one thing, Lenore Ulrich made the role of
                Luana famous...but she was never performing that role during the time
                DB would have been in KC.

                As you can see, we're still not exactly sure when Blanding DID arrive
                in the islands. My best guess is Dec. 1916 because of his college
                transcripts...but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. He could
                have enrolled for the March 1916 classes, but left in the winter of
                1915 and never attended them.

                We may never know for sure. But I love a mystery...so the search goes
                on.

                ~~ Keith
              • tamsui1984@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
                  --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., keith2draw@h... wrote:
                  > Ron,
                  >
                  > You're very perceptive. Blanding was a bit of a showman, and I've
                  > always felt he embellished his stories and experiences with little
                  > white lies.
                  > My best guess is Dec. 1916 because of his college
                  > transcripts...but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. He could
                  > have enrolled for the March 1916 classes, but left in the winter of
                  > 1915 and never attended them.

                  Keith... Bingo! You are absolutely right! He enrolled for the
                  March 1916 classes in Chicago, but never attended.
                  In a day or two I will fill you in on what he was really doing.
                  I have to get into my research binders tonight and cross index a
                  little.
                  Cheers Ron Jack

                  PS Keith and Cadio both. My Yahoo account is registered in Asia
                  (although I am in greater Vancouver, B.C.)
                  which is why the header shows Monday August 6, early a.m.
                  If you care that your posts have the correst date and time,
                  you cannot bounce my message back with annotations. You have
                  to generate a new message. Sorry.
                • Michael Brookman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
                    Cadia, I forgot that you're in Seattle! Thanks to our new Canadian friend,
                    Ron, the connection in the little grey cells clicked. I'll be coming from
                    Idaho (Shakespeare Fest and backpacking in the Sawtooths) and would like to
                    come through your town on the way back to California. If you give me the
                    address of your shop, I'll be sure to visit. I should be through on
                    September 6th or so. Looking forward to meeting you, I've been visiting
                    your website for about 2 years. Thx, michael brookman
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
                      Michael and Ron....

                      As most of the group knows, I do not have a shop at the Market. That
                      is just my mailing address. However, Michael, I would enjoy meeting
                      you in September. Since the 6th is a weekday, I'll be working but
                      I'm sure we can schedule lunch or something. And Ron, if you get
                      down this way, please let me know as well.

                      As for time/date on e-mails, that is controlled by the sender. If a
                      message is sent from the group website (as I generally do), the time
                      is recorded as Pacific (Seattle) time regardless of the location of
                      sender or recipient. In any case, the messages appear in the order
                      received. Many group members do not receive individual e-mails so
                      the time/date on the header is not important anyway.

                      For my personal e-mail address, I frequently get responses to e-mails
                      that appear to have been sent before I even send a message -- mainly
                      because the sender has not set his/her e-mail system to local time.
                      Sometimes even the year is wrong!