Newcomer Intro

  • tamsui1984@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2001
      Good afternoon folks. I spent 2 1/2 hours on
      Friday reading the archived posts. Well actually
      I managed to read perhaps thirty messages which
      had intriguing headers.
      The previous night I spent a couple of hours enjoying
      Cadia and Keith's websites. Whew!! A lot of reading,
      but oooooh that delicious Blanding art.

      I must say you are all doing very well with the research.
      It is quite clear that this whole process of team-detective
      work, via the Internet, is going to create a whole new
      following and appreciation for Blanding's work.

      I really can't say why the work attracts me. It just does.
      As I kid I was a big fan of Virgil Finlay, the Science Fiction
      illustrator. I still am. His technique for putting black ink
      on the panel is different than Blanding's, but it strikes the
      same chord with me.

      The first book I picked up was MEMORY ROOM, but I believe
      D.B. was already known to me through my research. I would have
      to back paddle through the reearch to find when, but I think
      it relates to bio-files for people in the Carmel / Oceano area.
      Not important.

      I have a few questions, if I might. Anyone who cares to comment
      would be welcome.
      -Did D.B. ever explain clearly why he suddenly abandoned his
      friendship network and professional contacts, to travel half
      way around the world to the islands? What was the primary
      reason?
      Most of his work is illustration - books and commercial design.
      What percentage of his work was for the gallery? There are
      pastel portraits. He did wall panels. Has anyone made a catalog
      of the full range of his work? What are the highest prices
      realized to date? I'm not being mercenary here - but this is
      a "collector" mailgroup?
      Cheers. Ron in British Columbia
    • keith2draw@home.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2001
        Greetings Ron,
        Could I ask you what the basis of your Carmel research was? Maybe
        we could throw out a few names of folks from Carmel to see if they
        are in your bio-files.

        -----------------------
        Jim,
        I came across this blurb in the Bend Bulletin on Feb. 12, 1913:

        "Mrs. L.P. Hudson, mother of C.S. Hudson, who has been visiting at
        her son's home here for several months left Sunday morning. From Bend
        she goes to Oklahoma City."

        So Donald was a cousin to C.S. Bend, cashier and co-director of the
        First National Bank where he worked for a year. I knew there had to
        be a connection. Aunt Sarah was probably headed back to the Blandings
        in Lawton. Do you think there would be an article in the Lawton
        newspapers about her return?

        C.S. Hudson began building a house in February of 1912, which was
        completed in June of that year. Chances are Donald stayed in this
        house while in Bend:

        "Work was started Thursday on the foundation for another handsome
        residence in Bend. This will be the home of C.S. Hudson, which will
        be built at the corner of Ohio and Front streets, on lot 7 of block
        4. It will be an eight-room frame building, two stories high, and
        will be modern in every way. The cost will be about $2,000. The
        contract has been let to J.W. Dimick and construction will be carried
        on as rapidly as possible. The location is one of the best in town,
        along the riverfront and affording a fine view of the mountains."

        I have a fuzzy microfilm copy of the completed house.

        Jean,
        Do you think this house is still standing?

        ~~ Keith
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
          Hello, Ron....and welcome!

          Mice to have another Canadian member of the group (the only other one
          I know about is Bill in Quebec). Yes, we are mostly fans and
          collectors, but as any good collector knows, research into a subject
          is part of the fun.

          I hope you've also had a chance to look at the material in the
          Files. We have lots of photos, and I've been transcribing newspaper
          articles by and about Don Blanding.

          Blanding left home the first time at 15 (to Bend, Oregon, where we
          now know his cousin C. S. Hudson, was a bank president), then again
          at 18 (again to Bend, then on to the Chicago Art Institute), and
          finally to the Islands at age 21. Blanding came from a family of
          vagabonds. Both the Kimbles and the Blandings were part of the
          westward migration of the 1840s to the 1890s, so exploring new
          territory really was in DB's blood.

          Blanding was primarily an illustrator, though he was commissioned to
          do decorative artwork. Painting or drawing for gallery exhibition
          and sale was not his style. The market has yet to be established for
          DB's artwork; the collectibility comes primarily from his association
          with Hawaii.

          By the way, we do know that DB's lecture tours included Canada. Any
          help you'd care to give in finding more material. . . .

          ~~Cadia

          However, we are still uncovering bits and pieces of DB's life, so
          anything is possible!
        • keith2draw@home.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
            Cadia,

            Just a few errors in your last email.

            Blanding did leave home at 15...but it was to go to Yellowstone, as a
            busboy at the Yellowstone Inn, with an as yet unidentified uncle. He
            worked there for three summers.

            C.S. Hudson was one of four directors of the bank...the president was
            U.C. Coe, the frontier doctor who amoung other deeds delivered
            Dorothy and George Pualmer Putnams baby David.

            Keith
          • tamsui1984@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
              --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., "Cadia Los" <duchess@s...> wrote:
              > Hello, Ron....and welcome!
              > Mice to have another Canadian member of the group (the only other
              one
              > I hope you've also had a chance to look at the material in the
              > Files.

              Thanks Cadio. I recognize that you were the pioneer of this
              Blanding reearch circle, but you lit the fuze of a Keith's
              rocket, and have assembled a cast of Baker Street type sleuths.
              I was actually down to Seattle on July 22, and checked out several
              of the shops in Pike Place Market. I may have even eyeballed you,
              but now that we are acquainted and I will seek you out next time.
              Your website was the first I checked out. Then I jumped to Keith's.

              Yes I will certainly help the group solve a mystery or two. First
              I have to figure out how I can be useful. I have some background
              in history and biography, so I can contribute. The approach of this
              mailgroup seems to be to generate clues, ideas etc, and correct the
              errors as the research leads pay off or dry up. The bonus is that it
              also promotes an interest in Don Blanding's art and poetry. As dear
              Martha says ... "That's a good thing!"

              > By the way, we do know that DB's lecture tours included Canada. Any
              > help you'd care to give in finding more material. . . .
              >
              > ~~Cadia

              I was just looking at Keith's Timeline. He says:
              "1916 - 00/00 Travels up to Nova Scotia"
              and then in a Dec. 30, 2000 contribution to the Society mail list:
              "1913-1916 Addresses - Quebec & Nova Scotia, Canada"

              What is the published or ephemera evidence you both base this on?
              Best Wishes ! I am going to enjoy contributing to this group I think.
              Ron in British Columbia
            • keith2draw@home.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
                Ron,

                We have no exact evidence, other than what Blanding has stated in
                interviews and generic biographies.

                Page 134 of the Rest of the Road :
                "For a time he lived in Quebec; then he moved on again to Nova Scotia
                and points north, south and east."

                According to Blanding's Chicago Art Institute transcripts, his last
                class was mid-March of 1916...and apparently he saw the play 'Bird of
                Paradise' in Kansas City around late November/early December, on his
                way back from Canada. So he may have been up north for as long as
                eight months, working odd jobs.

                We have no real evidence of this, and I wouldn't even know where to
                start looking...perhaps in a Quebec newspaper...anyone speak french?

                ~~ Keith

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
                  --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., keith2draw@h... wrote:

                  > We have no exact evidence, other than what Blanding has stated in
                  > interviews and generic biographies.

                  > According to Blanding's Chicago Art Institute transcripts, his last
                  > class was mid-March of 1916...and apparently he saw the play 'Bird
                  >of Paradise' in Kansas City around late November/early December, on
                  >his
                  > way back from Canada. So he may have been up north for as long as
                  > eight months, working odd jobs.
                  >
                  > We have no real evidence of this, and I wouldn't even know where to
                  > start looking...perhaps in a Quebec newspaper...anyone speak french?

                  Thanks Keith. Sorry for the basic questions. It's going to take
                  me a few days to get up to speed with this group. I did read about
                  fifty of the archived messages, but NO WAY do I have the time to
                  read 2000 stored messages, much of which are sure to be repetitive.
                  The basic "Netiquette" I have always practiced since learning
                  to Web crawl in early 1996 is, read - think - and then contribute,
                  lest I make an ass of myself.

                  Another basic question then - one which seems to have preoccupied
                  you for well over a year...
                  Where did this "Bird of Paradise" anecdote get its start?
                  I don't buy it. I think it's a myth. I have the two page
                  bio of Blanding from CURRENT BIOGRAPHY (1957)p60 "In 1915 he saw
                  the play THE BIRD OF PARADISE starring Lenore Ulric in Kansas City
                  and was so entranced by the setting that within a week he was on his
                  way to Hawaii." This was repeated in the NEW YORK TIMES obituary.
                  How old is the anecdote? Where does it first appear, please?

                  Cheers! Ron Jack in B.C.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
                    Ron,

                    My reference was to lecture tours in the 1950s. However, in the
                    Files is a transcription of a 1931 article from the Honolulu Star-
                    Bulletin that mentions DB was vacationing on one of the Thousand
                    Islands in August 1931.

                    Also in the Files is a Star-Bulletin profile of DB in conjunction
                    with his beginning the "Vagabond's House" column in September 1953.
                    One paragraph says:

                    For 25 years with the World Celebrities Lecture Course on the
                    "girdle-gobble-and-gabble" circuit, he has lectured in every State
                    in the United States and much of Canada and England, always with the
                    theme, "I Love Hawaii."

                    DB's 1956-57 lecture tour included a stop in Calgary; I have a
                    postcard that DB wrote on May 8, 1957. Other Canadian cities may
                    have been part of his itinerary.

                    So newspaper articles from almost any year between 1928 and 1957 are
                    likely sources of information. If you have access to microfilm or
                    bound copies of Canadian newspapers -- an index would help! -- then
                    you may be able to locate material.

                    ~~Cadia
                  • keith2draw@home.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
                      Ron,

                      You're very perceptive. Blanding was a bit of a showman, and I've
                      always felt he embellished his stories and experiences with little
                      white lies.

                      The first time I can recollect him telling the 'Bird of Paradise'
                      story is in the early thirties...which means his facts could have
                      been fuzzy by then. For one thing, Lenore Ulrich made the role of
                      Luana famous...but she was never performing that role during the time
                      DB would have been in KC.

                      As you can see, we're still not exactly sure when Blanding DID arrive
                      in the islands. My best guess is Dec. 1916 because of his college
                      transcripts...but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. He could
                      have enrolled for the March 1916 classes, but left in the winter of
                      1915 and never attended them.

                      We may never know for sure. But I love a mystery...so the search goes
                      on.

                      ~~ Keith
                    • tamsui1984@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
                        --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., keith2draw@h... wrote:
                        > Ron,
                        >
                        > You're very perceptive. Blanding was a bit of a showman, and I've
                        > always felt he embellished his stories and experiences with little
                        > white lies.
                        > My best guess is Dec. 1916 because of his college
                        > transcripts...but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. He could
                        > have enrolled for the March 1916 classes, but left in the winter of
                        > 1915 and never attended them.

                        Keith... Bingo! You are absolutely right! He enrolled for the
                        March 1916 classes in Chicago, but never attended.
                        In a day or two I will fill you in on what he was really doing.
                        I have to get into my research binders tonight and cross index a
                        little.
                        Cheers Ron Jack

                        PS Keith and Cadio both. My Yahoo account is registered in Asia
                        (although I am in greater Vancouver, B.C.)
                        which is why the header shows Monday August 6, early a.m.
                        If you care that your posts have the correst date and time,
                        you cannot bounce my message back with annotations. You have
                        to generate a new message. Sorry.
                      • Michael Brookman
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
                          Cadia, I forgot that you're in Seattle! Thanks to our new Canadian friend,
                          Ron, the connection in the little grey cells clicked. I'll be coming from
                          Idaho (Shakespeare Fest and backpacking in the Sawtooths) and would like to
                          come through your town on the way back to California. If you give me the
                          address of your shop, I'll be sure to visit. I should be through on
                          September 6th or so. Looking forward to meeting you, I've been visiting
                          your website for about 2 years. Thx, michael brookman
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
                            Michael and Ron....

                            As most of the group knows, I do not have a shop at the Market. That
                            is just my mailing address. However, Michael, I would enjoy meeting
                            you in September. Since the 6th is a weekday, I'll be working but
                            I'm sure we can schedule lunch or something. And Ron, if you get
                            down this way, please let me know as well.

                            As for time/date on e-mails, that is controlled by the sender. If a
                            message is sent from the group website (as I generally do), the time
                            is recorded as Pacific (Seattle) time regardless of the location of
                            sender or recipient. In any case, the messages appear in the order
                            received. Many group members do not receive individual e-mails so
                            the time/date on the header is not important anyway.

                            For my personal e-mail address, I frequently get responses to e-mails
                            that appear to have been sent before I even send a message -- mainly
                            because the sender has not set his/her e-mail system to local time.
                            Sometimes even the year is wrong!