Re: No Strings

  • cholyday@iinet.net.au
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
      Thanks all re DB's favourite books. I have Emerson in common,
      my "Riverside Edition" of his complete works is my oldest book,
      around 1890. It's a Bradbury Agnew and Co print, London. I can see
      the influences .........
      I am not wiser for my age
      Nor skilful by my grief
      Life loiters at the book's first page
      Ah! could we turn the leaf?

      And what about Mark Twain - another drifter surely?
      Any other known influences?

      Thanks again folks
      Chris
      P.S. - I am still looking for a cheap "Drifter's Gold" - anyone got a
      cheap one for sale, or can point me to a reliable seller?
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
        Chris: tj has several Drifter's Gold's, email me privately on it and I'll
        get a copy to you...tj
      • karen Cotter
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
          Chris - Hi, I'm Karen Cotter, aka "Kittykowkow".

          For all Blanding books or any other out-of-print books, I always have good
          luck by looking into ABEbooks.com and Bibliofind.com.

          At the moment there are quite a few on ABE, with full descriptions and
          prices.

          Bibliofind has dozens of Drifter's Gold as welland you click on each
          seller's hyperlink to see a full description of the book.

          The prices range from $6.00 to $50.00, depending on condition, edition and
          the seller's dream!

          There are many other booksellers and I am sure other "Blandingites" can tell
          you their favorites, but those two happen to be mine and I have obtained
          some marvelous old California history books (which is my "thing") that I
          have not been able to obtain elsewhere, through them.

          Keith has a great personal stash too, and I would always ask him first as he
          sells on eBay as well.

          Good Luck!

          Karen
        • Nelson Black
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
            Chris: I think I saw one last Friday at ReCycle Books in San Jose. Price
            was around $10.00. No d.j. however...

            Nelson W. Black

          • keith2draw@home.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
              Hi Allen...how have you been?

              I wouldn't really call myself a book dealer...I just sell on ebay
              part-time. My true profession is an artist - my hobby is research.

              Chris,

              According to Mildred Maureen Maloney: Don's favorite poem was
              Tennyson's "Passing of Arthur." Other favorite poets were Rupert
              Brooke, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Robinson Jeffers, and J. U.
              Nicholson. As far as prose writers went, he admired Flaubert, Wilde,
              Maugham, Loti, Kipling, and the Norwegian writers.

              Friend James Neill Northe said that Blanding was a fan of Dorothy
              Parker "for her nastiness."

              He loved books on early greece, Rome, Carthage, and the Orient.
              History up to the Fourteenth Century was of great interest to him.

              Blanding admits that he was influenced in his writing by
              Brooke's "bubbling passion"; and by Jeffers, who is like "sea,
              stupendously rolling"; and by Amy Lowell, who "made words do tricks."

              I actually have a book by Amy Lowell, 'Can Grande's Castle,' which
              came from Blanding's personal library, which he gave to a friend
              about 1918. It has his own self-designed bookplate in it, and an
              inscription to the friend.

              Hope that helps.

              ~~ Keith