Re: [aloha-donblanding] re: No Strings

  • allen@sawtelle.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
      Uncle Don loved the classics, Emerson, Thoreau, Walt Whitman. Cosmic
      Consciousness (Bucke) started him on the metaphysical path and he always
      referred to the "Five Foot Shelf". Allen Sawtelle ----- Original
      Message -----
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
        Allen: The "five foot shelf" as you might know, were The Harvard
        Classics....a multi book (50plus or minus) great book collection. I have a
        (slightly diminished due to moisture) set passed down from my grandfather
        who probably bought them in the 20s.

        Nelson W. Black

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • allen@sawtelle.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
          Got the whole damn thing here at the house. I can get missing books for you
          but Keith is a better sourse since he is a book dealer. Glad to here from
          you. Keep in touch. Allen
          > Allen: The "five foot shelf" as you might know, were The Harvard
          > Classics....a multi book (50plus or minus) great book collection. I have
          > (slightly diminished due to moisture) set passed down from my grandfather
          > who probably bought them in the 20s.
          >
          > Nelson W. Black

        • Michael Brookman
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2, 2001
            Wow. It's funny how minds can run in like circles. I've read all of Kipling
            and Maugham's works. Some of Wilde, much of Parker, some Norwegian. Now,
            I'll have to get into the others.

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2, 2001
              Funny thing this life is....tj is Norweigen and wouldn't know one if one
              walked by....guess I'll have to peer into my heritage some.....(smile)...tj
            • cholyday@iinet.net.au
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 3, 2001
                Thanks all for the great feedback. And thanks tj - I'll call.
                Keith - that was great info, and Cadia, I have been working my way
                around this site - you've done a great job here, keep it up and I'll
                let someone else have a go for a while now!
                Chris
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 6, 2001
                  Have you checked out the Blanding Ebay site for books....many of them on
                  there, or is postage the real issue? tj
                • cholyday@iinet.net.au
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 6, 2001
                    Thanks tj - I have never used ebay, preferring to use a local Aussie
                    bookfinder service. Actually, my first USA purchase just arrived to
                    day - The Rest of the Road, a 1943 Dodd Mead print, originally
                    purchased in Washington DC on Oct 12, 1943, by a Norman Hewitt. Makes
                    me think about, Antique Shop :- "who's hand wrote his name ... across
                    this tattered novel's faded page"? Adds another dimension to the poem
                    doesn't it - a self actualising book that's now travelled the world!
                    There are some great poems in this book, as I am sure you all know -
                    but I have already spotted a new found favourite - "This Nagging
                    Urge" - I think it's brilliant as it is a theme that is very close to
                    me and one that I have thought and written about in the past. Deja Vu.
                    Yes, the postage to Aust is the real killer tj, at around A$20 per
                    book. I'll talk to you direct about this.
                    Aloha friends,
                    Chris
                  • karen Cotter
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 6, 2001
                      Oh Chris, if you have not looked at eBay, we might as well say "goodbye" to
                      you right now. I have been lost in the wonders of eBay for 2 1/2 years
                      straight and am just now surfacing for air and re-joining the living! I
                      have an enormous collection of books that I would not have found in 10
                      lifetimes of searching elsewhere! The most arcane, esoteric book you have
                      ever desired will show up, sooner or later, on eBay! Bon Voyage!

                      LOL Karen - Kittykowkow
                    • Michael Brookman
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 6, 2001
                        Too true! I finally completed (well, for now) my collection of Blanding via
                        eBay. I'd searched for some of the books for almost 20 years! The easiest
                        can sometimes be the hardest. Good luck, Chris! michael