re: No Strings

  • cholyday@iinet.net.au
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1 6:15 AM
      Ok, thanks guys - we have quite a few South African friends here in
      Perth, being west coastal, we are closer to SA - though it's still a
      long step off west across the Indian Ocean!
      Great Barrier Reef AND Kangaroos AND Western Australia - great scott,
      you'll have to stay a couple of months - Queensland (and the Reef) is
      diagonally opposite to us here!
      DB question - reading the VH poem, DB refers to a shelf for his
      favourite books. Does anyone have any strings on what his favourites
      were?
      Thanks again,
      Chris
    • allen@sawtelle.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1 6:51 AM
        Uncle Don loved the classics, Emerson, Thoreau, Walt Whitman. Cosmic
        Consciousness (Bucke) started him on the metaphysical path and he always
        referred to the "Five Foot Shelf". Allen Sawtelle ----- Original
        Message -----
        > Ok, thanks guys - we have quite a few South African friends here in
        > Perth, being west coastal, we are closer to SA - though it's still a
        > long step off west across the Indian Ocean!
        > Great Barrier Reef AND Kangaroos AND Western Australia - great scott,
        > you'll have to stay a couple of months - Queensland (and the Reef) is
        > diagonally opposite to us here!
        > DB question - reading the VH poem, DB refers to a shelf for his
        > favourite books. Does anyone have any strings on what his favourites
        > were?
        > Thanks again,
        > Chris

      • Nelson Black
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1 7:05 PM
          Allen: The "five foot shelf" as you might know, were The Harvard
          Classics....a multi book (50plus or minus) great book collection. I have a
          (slightly diminished due to moisture) set passed down from my grandfather
          who probably bought them in the 20s.

          Nelson W. Black

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • allen@sawtelle.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1 8:11 PM
            Got the whole damn thing here at the house. I can get missing books for you
            but Keith is a better sourse since he is a book dealer. Glad to here from
            you. Keep in touch. Allen
            > Allen: The "five foot shelf" as you might know, were The Harvard
            > Classics....a multi book (50plus or minus) great book collection. I have
            > (slightly diminished due to moisture) set passed down from my grandfather
            > who probably bought them in the 20s.
            >
            > Nelson W. Black

          • Michael Brookman
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2 3:38 PM
              Wow. It's funny how minds can run in like circles. I've read all of Kipling
              and Maugham's works. Some of Wilde, much of Parker, some Norwegian. Now,
              I'll have to get into the others.

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2 9:36 PM
                Funny thing this life is....tj is Norweigen and wouldn't know one if one
                walked by....guess I'll have to peer into my heritage some.....(smile)...tj
              • cholyday@iinet.net.au
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 3 8:01 AM
                  Thanks all for the great feedback. And thanks tj - I'll call.
                  Keith - that was great info, and Cadia, I have been working my way
                  around this site - you've done a great job here, keep it up and I'll
                  let someone else have a go for a while now!
                  Chris
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 6 6:33 AM
                    Have you checked out the Blanding Ebay site for books....many of them on
                    there, or is postage the real issue? tj
                  • cholyday@iinet.net.au
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 6 7:49 AM
                      Thanks tj - I have never used ebay, preferring to use a local Aussie
                      bookfinder service. Actually, my first USA purchase just arrived to
                      day - The Rest of the Road, a 1943 Dodd Mead print, originally
                      purchased in Washington DC on Oct 12, 1943, by a Norman Hewitt. Makes
                      me think about, Antique Shop :- "who's hand wrote his name ... across
                      this tattered novel's faded page"? Adds another dimension to the poem
                      doesn't it - a self actualising book that's now travelled the world!
                      There are some great poems in this book, as I am sure you all know -
                      but I have already spotted a new found favourite - "This Nagging
                      Urge" - I think it's brilliant as it is a theme that is very close to
                      me and one that I have thought and written about in the past. Deja Vu.
                      Yes, the postage to Aust is the real killer tj, at around A$20 per
                      book. I'll talk to you direct about this.
                      Aloha friends,
                      Chris
                    • karen Cotter
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 6 8:08 AM
                        Oh Chris, if you have not looked at eBay, we might as well say "goodbye" to
                        you right now. I have been lost in the wonders of eBay for 2 1/2 years
                        straight and am just now surfacing for air and re-joining the living! I
                        have an enormous collection of books that I would not have found in 10
                        lifetimes of searching elsewhere! The most arcane, esoteric book you have
                        ever desired will show up, sooner or later, on eBay! Bon Voyage!

                        LOL Karen - Kittykowkow
                      • Michael Brookman
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 6 6:16 PM
                          Too true! I finally completed (well, for now) my collection of Blanding via
                          eBay. I'd searched for some of the books for almost 20 years! The easiest
                          can sometimes be the hardest. Good luck, Chris! michael