Hello from Down Under

  • cholyday@iinet.net.au
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 20, 2001
      Hi everyone,
      Just wanted to let you know that I have just joined here. I am new to
      the world of DB, and my beach house is a long way from any of Don's
      shorelines.
      I became aware of this great writer from my recent reading of a Jimmy
      Buffett book on the delights and dangers of turning 50. His 1980's
      album which took DB's 'Floridays' title was a recent discovery for me.
      Then JB recited 'The Double Life' at the end of this book about
      drifting around the Carribees with his family on the passing of his
      50th year. I purchased 'Floridays' just recently, my first DB book. I
      just received 'Vagabonds House' yesterday and have 'The Rest of The
      Road' and 'Mostly California' on order from the States.
      I live on the West Coast of Australia and I am very interested in
      getting to read DB's poems on his west coastal life - in Carmel I
      believe?
      One question on a poem in VL - "Footsteps". Where did this blindness
      thing come from?
      Kind regards
      Chris Holyday
    • keith2draw@home.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 20, 2001
        Hi Chris,

        Welcome to the group. There have been a number of folks introduced to
        Don Blanding via Jimmy Buffett.

        There has been a rumour that Blanding suffered a temporary bout of
        blindness, but I have not come across anything to support this. I do
        know that he had several friends through the years that were blind,
        and so he had a great sympathy for them.

        When he reads "footsteps" on his album, he seems to get quite choked
        up near the end of the narration.

        By-the-way, are you the guy from Perth who likes to sail, and also
        owns a Spitfire?

        Keith Emmons
        http://www.don-blanding.com
      • Michael Brookman
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 20, 2001
          Welcome to the club! I've been a fan of both DB and JB for years. I just
          made the connection, I'm a little slow, that "Floridays" was more than a
          coincidence! Duh. I just completed my collection of DB's works. You'll find
          the internet the greatest source and, if it's your goal, you should be done
          in no time. His poetry is so diverse yet focused. I get a real picture of
          his soul. One of the best purchases I've made was the voice recording on CD
          of DB reading his own poems, "Vagabond's House" included. You can find it on
          www.don-blanding.com. A very active DB officiando, Keith Emmons, runs the
          site and produces the CD. If your ever in the neighborhood of Carmel, let
          me know and we'll hook up. Aloha! michael