RE: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Welcome to aloha-donblanding

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2001
      WELCOME KEN TO OUR GROUP,

      WOW!!

      You sure have opened up another door in DB’s life.

      Edith Hope Genee was the editor the American Bard, which in the early 1960s
      was supposed to have been the country's largest poetry magazine. She and
      my father were old friends, having been co-editors of an adult school
      newspaper at Hollywood High in the late 1930s. So she brought the printing
      contract to his printshop. This then led to several poetry book jobs.

      Edith had also been a close friend of Don Blanding's and I gather she
      inherited the rights to many of his illustrations, as they were a constant
      source for inclusion in the American Bard and many of the poetry books
      published by Swordsman.
      Did Edith or your parents ever talk about her relationship with Don? We
      know they traveled to Hawaii together and on book signing tours. Also that he
      lived at her home. A lady I visited in Tucson, Az. said that Edith wanted to
      marry Don but he was not the marrying type, Do you know anything about
      this???

      When she passed away, many of the Don Blanding
      prints she had were given to another poet-friend, Mary Cox, who was active
      in the Chaparrel Poets. In turn, when Mary died, the prints passed to my
      father. I am just now in the middle of cleaning up my parents' house and I
      uncovered a pile of Blanding prints, as well as several pieces of Vernon
      ceramics and some sheet music for which Blanding wrote the lyrics.
      Ken can you scan these DB prints and show them to us. As a member, you are
      able to put them in our files.

      Ken Klein
      East Asian Library
      University Information Services
      University of Southern California
      kklein@...
      (213) 740-1772
      (213) 740-7437 (fax)
      Wish I had know about you last month\h. I went to the library to research
      Don’s secretary of the 30’s. He graduated from SC in 1926 and I searched the
      old grad books for him.

      Again,

      Welcome aboard. know you will find it interesting here. Do check out Keith
      Emmons site a www.don-blanding.com <http://www.don-blanding.com/> . You will
      learn a lot there.

      Aloha,

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13, 2001
        Hello, Ken and other new members....

        Oh, boy, do we know a resource when we see one! Ken, the personal
        association with Don Blanding (well, sort of) as well as your
        position at USC make you doubly useful to this group. All bits of
        information help immmensely to piece together the DB puzzle.

        I know there's a copy of the Honolulu Advertiser/Star-Bulletin Index
        at USC. Any chance you can pull photocopies of index pages for me?
        I already have "Blanding" but would like to see what's listed
        under "Lei Day" (1929 and later) and under "Creager" [Scott] between
        about 1937 and 1940. Other keywords and names also come to mind...

        Research aside, I'd also like to welcome new members who've joined us
        in June and July. Come on, now, don't be shy...just jump on in here
        and tell us all why you are a DB fan or what connection you may have
        to DB or his many friends.

        Just this week I've had e-mail from several potential group members,
        including one in Western Australia! Often I get requests for online
        sources of DB poems (there are some, but not many). If any group
        members would like to transcribe some of your favorites and place
        them in the appropriate Files folder, that would be great.

        Our membership roster now shows 101 -- a few of those (including me)
        are multiple e-mail addresses. But the ranks are growing!

        By the way, this site also has a Chat function -- anybody used it yet?