RE: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Welcome to aloha-donblanding

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2001
      WELCOME KEN TO OUR GROUP,

      WOW!!

      You sure have opened up another door in DB’s life.

      Edith Hope Genee was the editor the American Bard, which in the early 1960s
      was supposed to have been the country's largest poetry magazine. She and
      my father were old friends, having been co-editors of an adult school
      newspaper at Hollywood High in the late 1930s. So she brought the printing
      contract to his printshop. This then led to several poetry book jobs.

      Edith had also been a close friend of Don Blanding's and I gather she
      inherited the rights to many of his illustrations, as they were a constant
      source for inclusion in the American Bard and many of the poetry books
      published by Swordsman.
      Did Edith or your parents ever talk about her relationship with Don? We
      know they traveled to Hawaii together and on book signing tours. Also that he
      lived at her home. A lady I visited in Tucson, Az. said that Edith wanted to
      marry Don but he was not the marrying type, Do you know anything about
      this???

      When she passed away, many of the Don Blanding
      prints she had were given to another poet-friend, Mary Cox, who was active
      in the Chaparrel Poets. In turn, when Mary died, the prints passed to my
      father. I am just now in the middle of cleaning up my parents' house and I
      uncovered a pile of Blanding prints, as well as several pieces of Vernon
      ceramics and some sheet music for which Blanding wrote the lyrics.
      Ken can you scan these DB prints and show them to us. As a member, you are
      able to put them in our files.

      Ken Klein
      East Asian Library
      University Information Services
      University of Southern California
      kklein@...
      (213) 740-1772
      (213) 740-7437 (fax)
      Wish I had know about you last month\h. I went to the library to research
      Don’s secretary of the 30’s. He graduated from SC in 1926 and I searched the
      old grad books for him.

      Again,

      Welcome aboard. know you will find it interesting here. Do check out Keith
      Emmons site a www.don-blanding.com <http://www.don-blanding.com/> . You will
      learn a lot there.

      Aloha,

    • Ken Klein
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13, 2001
        Hi,

        I am new to this group. In browsing through some of the past messages, I
        noticed occasional mentions of Edith Hope Genee, Robert Sherwood, the
        Swordsman Publishing Company. I think I could contribute a number of
        answers in this general area, if there is still interest. Swordsman
        Publishing Company was my father's printshop and he printed a long series
        of poetry book, mostly financed by the authors. (Putting it that way
        sounds better than "vanity press").

        Edith Hope Genee was the editor the American Bard, which in the early 1960s
        was supposed to have been the country's largest poetry magazine. She and
        my father were old friends, having been co-editors of an adult school
        newspaper at Hollywood High in the late 1930s. So she brought the printing
        contract to his printshop. This then led to several poetry book jobs.

        Edith had also been a close friend of Don Blanding's and I gather she
        inherited the rights to many of his illustrations, as they were a constant
        source for inclusion in the American Bard and many of the poetry books
        published by Swordsman. When she passed away, many of the Don Blanding
        prints she had were given to another poet-friend, Mary Cox, who was active
        in the Chaparrel Poets. In turn, when Mary died, the prints passed to my
        father. I am just now in the middle of cleaning up my parents' house and I
        uncovered a pile of Blanding prints, as well as several pieces of Vernon
        ceramics and some sheet music for which Blanding wrote the lyrics.

        Robert Sherwood's Laugh A Day was always quite a joke in our house. Not so
        much because of the quality of the book itself; more for the author's
        unreal expectations for its success. When he came to talk over the
        printing with my father, he wanted to know if he would be able to keep up
        with the demand (Swordsman Publishing was always a one-man shop). The
        plastic bindings for the book and the unbound copies sat in our attic for
        years and years after Sherwood himself had passed away. My wife is a
        school teacher and several of her third grade classes have had their
        projects held together by bindings that read "Laugh A Day Sherwood" on
        them. It is quite a hoot to see the book now listed as "rare."

        I have salvaged whatever Swordsman Publishing Company books I could from my
        parents' attic. I gave as full a set as I could muster to the UCLA Library
        several years ago, and another to the library at USC (where I now work)
        just this year. I have a listing of Swordsman publications, but I would
        have to search through more carefully to see which ones feature Don
        Blanding illustrations.

        Thanks for indulging me. I would welcome any questions you might have
        about the circle of poets which involved Don Blanding, at least
        tangentially, and I hope to learn more about them myself from this group.

        --Ken Klein

        Ken Klein
        East Asian Library
        University Information Services
        University of Southern California
        kklein@...
        (213) 740-1772
        (213) 740-7437 (fax)
      • karen Cotter
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 13, 2001
          Wow, Ken! "Indulging" you? I, as I am sure all of us "Blandingites," are,
          am passing out with envy, excitement, curiousity and every emotion known to
          mankind! You are like a few others here, an emerald glittering in a
          streambed of pebbles. Nice little pebbles to be sure, but not gemstones
          such as you!

          Agh! Where to begin? Thanks for the personal foundation you have laid. I
          know Keith Emmons and TJ and Cadia will be putting you through their
          knowledgable and friendly sieves and I as a pebble, will be here gleaning
          the leftovers!

          I am in the Los Angeles area, as are some of the others, having been born at
          30th and Orchard, 3 blocks from USC and growing up in the shadow of all
          that's there!

          I am now in North Hollywood (Valley Village) and am available for
          conversations regarding any and all of the above 24/7!

          My e-mail address is:

          doggydan@...

          Karen Cotter - otherwise known as kittykowkow
        • pgbusi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 13, 2001
            Welcome, Ken;
            You really have a store of information. Prepare to be inundated with
            questions from some real super sleuths who have been researching Blanding and
            are putting his life together---like a jiz-saw puzzle. I am sure you'll be
            hearing from Cadia, Keith, Bev and the other DB veterans.
            Aloha, Dean

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 13, 2001
              Hello, Ken and other new members....

              Oh, boy, do we know a resource when we see one! Ken, the personal
              association with Don Blanding (well, sort of) as well as your
              position at USC make you doubly useful to this group. All bits of
              information help immmensely to piece together the DB puzzle.

              I know there's a copy of the Honolulu Advertiser/Star-Bulletin Index
              at USC. Any chance you can pull photocopies of index pages for me?
              I already have "Blanding" but would like to see what's listed
              under "Lei Day" (1929 and later) and under "Creager" [Scott] between
              about 1937 and 1940. Other keywords and names also come to mind...

              Research aside, I'd also like to welcome new members who've joined us
              in June and July. Come on, now, don't be shy...just jump on in here
              and tell us all why you are a DB fan or what connection you may have
              to DB or his many friends.

              Just this week I've had e-mail from several potential group members,
              including one in Western Australia! Often I get requests for online
              sources of DB poems (there are some, but not many). If any group
              members would like to transcribe some of your favorites and place
              them in the appropriate Files folder, that would be great.

              Our membership roster now shows 101 -- a few of those (including me)
              are multiple e-mail addresses. But the ranks are growing!

              By the way, this site also has a Chat function -- anybody used it yet?