Various editions of Blanding Books question

  • TikiRoom18@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2001
      I have a question about DB book editions.
      Is there a case where poems were added or deleted in later editions of his
      many books?
      I know there are places where dedications were sometimes adjusted, but are
      there changes to the poems presented or has anyone noted changes to the poems
      themselves, or even addition or deletion of artwork that went with the poetry?

      thanks!

      Aloha
      larry
    • keith2draw@home.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 28, 2001
        Larry,

        This happened occasionally in his earlier works...for example,
        in "Leaves from a Grass-House" the poem 'Vagabond's House' appeared
        in the first couple of editions...then mysteriously disappeared from
        about the fifth printing onwards - a poem entitled 'Aloha House' took
        it's place. My guess is that 'Vagabond's House' was so well liked
        that Blanding hoped to publish it seperately as early as 1923. Of
        course it wasn't until 1928 that he actually found a publisher for it.

        The poem 'Leis for Remembrance' was also added to later editions
        of "Leaves."

        In "Paradise Loot," an illustration from the first edition
        disappeared from later editions. It was used about that time to grace
        the cover of some sheet music for Don's friend and colleague R. Alex
        Anderson...so maybe Anderson bought the rights to it, which might
        explain it's being taken out of "Loot."

        The color illustration from "Hula Moons" was removed from later
        editions.

        The only other examples I can think of are the additional
        illustrations that Blanding provided for "Vagabond's House" to
        celebrate it's 25th edition in 1940.

        ~~ Keith