Inverness-Pt. Reyes Station

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 2001
      Did Don Blanding ever go to Inverness?????

      My guess is that he did, but Hal & I didn’t find him there. Here is what I
      learned while talking to many people involved in the life of Patty McCabe
      (Donnelle Evan’s in our group, mother).

      It was Evelyn Roberts-McCabe-Crivelli, Donnelle’s grandmother who moved from
      Oakland to Inverness/Pt. Reyes. Her son Mike McCabe remembers going with his
      Mom to meet Don Blanding in Oakland at HC Capwells ,a large dept. store there.
      This was in 1943 and that they moved to Pt. Reyes in ’44 or45. Evelyn was
      married to McCabe in Oakland and her son Sid Robert’s remembers working with
      Patty & Mikes father in the Oakland shipyards when he got out of the service
      in ’43. Evelyn went to Pt. Reyes with Paddy and Mike and opened THE CABIN, a
      restaurant on the corner of Hwy 1 & Inverness Road. Mike McCabe thinks Evelyn
      and Dave Cravelli married in ’46 or 47.

      Mike McCabe said they then ran the Hillside Dairy, across the street from
      THE CABIN in 48 –49. All seem to believe that Dave and Evelyn Cravelli ran
      the Grandy Hotel in Pt Reyes Station from 49-52. It had a restaurant, coffee
      show on the 1st floor and 20 rooms upstairs.
      ***********I have attached photos for Mike McCabe and will once again try to
      put the same photos in our files.
      So Don may have stayed at the Grandy in that time period and that is how
      they met and sang at the piano in the lobby together.

      Or………it may have been across the street at the Western Tavern, that is still a
      swinging place today. Matter of fact the most swinging place in Pt. Reyes
      today.

      Or………it may have been at the Inverness Lodge that was run by Evelyn’s friend
      May Richardson. According to Lee Richardson’s x-wife Lucille and best friend
      of Paddy McCabe, Evelyn and May were swingers of the time. Both dressed to
      the 9‘s and loved to sing and dance. Evelyn frequently visited May at her
      Lodge, even after moving to Sacramento.

      So………
      Now we have more name and places to visit. I would try the Inverness Lodge
      if I went back again. If they have any old check in books, we might learn
      something. I am sure is a place that DB would go to for ideas, rest and fun.

      NOTE:
      DB visited the Jack London Ranch several times between ’36 & 48 according
      to Jack London’s grand nephew Milo Shepard.

      Mike McCabe
      If I missed something or mixed things up, let me know. This is a composite
      of all the interviews that I did.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15, 2001
        Bev: tj will be following up in Inverness area also. I'm just getting back
        on the DB track and thats one area I wanted to probe a bit....I'll carefully
        read what you sent out and maybe we should talk a bit more about it....tj