Re: Tempski

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 11, 2001
      Nelson,

      Quoting from DB's March 3, 1956 column in the Star-Bulletin:

      "This brings another memory. Armine von Tempski and her husband, Al
      Ball, were living in my house in Carmel while she was writing the
      first half of her book, Born in Paradise. We were taking a walk along
      the Carmel shore to get the typewriter cramps out of our fingers. A
      group of Sicilian fishermen and their families were seated on the
      grass. They were eating. They had big loaves of delectable dark
      bread. They had wine, garlic, onions, etc.

      "But Armine and I spotted something else, and began to drool. They
      were opening and eating beautiful sea-urchins. We paused. A big fat
      happy looking woman saw us staring. She said something to the others
      and mockingly offered us one of the sea-urchins. We practically broke
      her wrist snatching it. She saw the happy reminiscent expressions in
      our eyes and realized we were veterans to this fare. We were invited
      to join them. After that, these nice people would call us when they
      went sea-urchining, and we'd drop whatever we were doing and speed to
      the feast."

      DB lived in Carmel from about September 1936 through early 1940,
      though he traveled far and wide during this time. He married Dorothy
      Putnam on June 13, 1940 in Florida. DB died in Los Angeles on June
      9, 1957.

      I believe Armine's books were published by Dodd, Mead.

      ~~Cadia
    • keith2draw@home.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 12, 2001
        Thanks Cadia for correcting me on the book Armine was actually
        writing while with DB...I got that mixed up. I believe Armines books
        were put out by various publishers...but Dodd, Mead & Co. was
        definately one of them.

        tj:

        FRESNO, Calif., Dec. 2 (AP) -- Armine von Tempski, writer and
        lecturer, was found dead here in her hotel room today. She was 44
        years old. Deputy Coroner L. R. Webb said she died of a heart attack.
        Best known of Miss von Tempski's works is "Born in Paradise," an
        autobiography which became a best seller.

        (This apeared in the New York Times Dec. 3, 1943)

        ~~Keith
      • Nelson Black
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 12, 2001
          Cadia: Thanks for the information. I was reading one of Blanding's books
          last night and placed his time in Carmel before the marriage to Dorothy. I
          keep meaning to send an e-mail to Dorothy's grandaughter with a thanks for a
          delightful book (I have the son's address through the DuPont registry) but
          have yet to do so. Still doing an inventory on the book collection and it's
          mighty time consuming; thank goodness for abebooks. Surprising to me that
          so many people, outside of Hawaiki, don't know who Blanding was. Since his
          poetry has been out of print for so long, I guess it should not be too much
          of a mystery. I describe him as a Rod McKuen (sp?) for the 30s and 40s but
          perhaps that label is not fair to the memory of D.B.

          Nelson
          > Quoting from DB's March 3, 1956 column in the Star-Bulletin:
          >
          > "This brings another memory. Armine von Tempski and her husband, Al
          > Ball, were living in my house in Carmel while she was writing the
          > first half of her book, Born in Paradise. We were taking a walk along
          > the Carmel shore to get the typewriter cramps out of our fingers. A
          > group of Sicilian fishermen and their families were seated on the
          > grass. They were eating. They had big loaves of delectable dark
          > bread. They had wine, garlic, onions, etc.
          >
          > "But Armine and I spotted something else, and began to drool. They
          > were opening and eating beautiful sea-urchins. We paused. A big fat
          > happy looking woman saw us staring. She said something to the others
          > and mockingly offered us one of the sea-urchins. We practically broke
          > her wrist snatching it. She saw the happy reminiscent expressions in
          > our eyes and realized we were veterans to this fare. We were invited
          > to join them. After that, these nice people would call us when they
          > went sea-urchining, and we'd drop whatever we were doing and speed to
          > the feast."
          >
          > DB lived in Carmel from about September 1936 through early 1940,
          > though he traveled far and wide during this time. He married Dorothy
          > Putnam on June 13, 1940 in Florida. DB died in Los Angeles on June
          > 9, 1957.
          >

          > I believe Armine's books were published by Dodd, Mead.
          >
          > ~~Cadia

        • Nelson Black
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 12, 2001
            In reading the flyleaf of Drifter's Gold, I see that Vagabound's House is in
            Carmel. I assume this was an actual place. Is it still standing and do you
            know the address? I know that many of the old bungalows have been torn down
            and replaced by McMansions.

            Nelson
            > Quoting from DB's March 3, 1956 column in the Star-Bulletin:
            >
            > "This brings another memory. Armine von Tempski and her husband, Al
            > Ball, were living in my house in Carmel while she was writing the
            > first half of her book, Born in Paradise. We were taking a walk along
            > the Carmel shore to get the typewriter cramps out of our fingers. A
            > group of Sicilian fishermen and their families were seated on the
            > grass. They were eating. They had big loaves of delectable dark
            > bread. They had wine, garlic, onions, etc.
            >
            > "But Armine and I spotted something else, and began to drool. They
            > were opening and eating beautiful sea-urchins. We paused. A big fat
            > happy looking woman saw us staring. She said something to the others
            > and mockingly offered us one of the sea-urchins. We practically broke
            > her wrist snatching it. She saw the happy reminiscent expressions in
            > our eyes and realized we were veterans to this fare. We were invited
            > to join them. After that, these nice people would call us when they
            > went sea-urchining, and we'd drop whatever we were doing and speed to
            > the feast."
            >
            > DB lived in Carmel from about September 1936 through early 1940,
            > though he traveled far and wide during this time. He married Dorothy
            > Putnam on June 13, 1940 in Florida. DB died in Los Angeles on June
            > 9, 1957.
            >

            > I believe Armine's books were published by Dodd, Mead.
            >
            > ~~Cadia

          • Nelson Black
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 12, 2001
              By the way, sea urchins are a delicacy appreciated mainly these days in
              sushi...."uni" is the Japanese word the next time you're in a sushi bar. I
              was introduced to them when I was in the Peace Corps stationed in the North
              of Chile in the early 60s. When we were lucky enough to afford them, we
              would eat them as an appetizer with a bit of lime, parsley, and (I think)
              finely chopped onion. Delicious...but defintely an acquired taste.

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 12, 2001
                Nelson,

                Yes, DB's Carmel home is still there. Bev took a number of photos,
                inside and out, when she visited the current owners. You can see
                them in Files: Photos: Places DB Lived or Visited:

                The Files contain a number of other photos plus assorted articles and
                notes:

                Enjoy!

                ~~Cadia
              • Nelson Black
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 13, 2001
                  Thanks....nice of the owners to let her in....

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 14, 2001
                    Nelson,

                    Al & Betty Landi are very friendly and this is their get away house from the
                    Stanford area. They are the 2nd owners since DB. He originally sold it to
                    his good friends the Spencers, who ran the local book and paper supply store
                    in Carmel. They came to the DB Carmel show and were very eager to share their
                    home with us.

                  • Nelson Black
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 14, 2001
                      Interesting....you all certainly have done a lot of work on Mr.Blanding's
                      history. I trust he is smiling to know he is so well remembered.