RE: [aloha-donblanding] Tempski

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 11, 2001
      TJ,

      Nice to have you and Jan back. Hope all is well with Jan’s Mom. Heard from
      Don & Michelle and they are still in Carmel trying to sell their home there.
      They will then move to Orange County where I live. Hope to see them at DA
      SHOW, a Hawaiiana gathering at Manhattan Beach on June 24th.

      Hope you find out more on Armine and her death. Milo Shepard of the Jack
      London Ranch is sure she didn’t die of a heart attack….”she wasn’t that sick
      and would never have gone on the tour if she was ill.”

      Bev.

      So, did anyone get a copy of a police report on Tempski when she died in
      Fresno? It was Fresno, right? If not, tj in one of his last unofficial acts
      as a law enforcement officer will attempt to uncover one from the Fresno
      archives.....tj

    • Nelson Black
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 11, 2001
        Keith: Was Armine a Blanding relation? Daughter?

        Nelson
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 11, 2001
          Nelson,

          Armine von Tempski was a writer of Hawaiian novels and romances who
          came from the famous von Tempsky family of the Haleakala Ranch on
          Maui. Her father introduced Polo to Hawaii.

          She was a very good friend of Blanding's...but no relation. Her and
          her husband Al Ball lived with Blanding for awhile in Carmel while
          she was writing her autobiographical novel "Aloha."

          Keith
        • Nelson Black
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 11, 2001
            I will keep my eyes open for her books....published by a mainstream house?
            Where did Blanding eventually end up? My folks lived in Carmel in the
            mid-30s.

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 11, 2001
              Nelson,

              Quoting from DB's March 3, 1956 column in the Star-Bulletin:

              "This brings another memory. Armine von Tempski and her husband, Al
              Ball, were living in my house in Carmel while she was writing the
              first half of her book, Born in Paradise. We were taking a walk along
              the Carmel shore to get the typewriter cramps out of our fingers. A
              group of Sicilian fishermen and their families were seated on the
              grass. They were eating. They had big loaves of delectable dark
              bread. They had wine, garlic, onions, etc.

              "But Armine and I spotted something else, and began to drool. They
              were opening and eating beautiful sea-urchins. We paused. A big fat
              happy looking woman saw us staring. She said something to the others
              and mockingly offered us one of the sea-urchins. We practically broke
              her wrist snatching it. She saw the happy reminiscent expressions in
              our eyes and realized we were veterans to this fare. We were invited
              to join them. After that, these nice people would call us when they
              went sea-urchining, and we'd drop whatever we were doing and speed to
              the feast."

              DB lived in Carmel from about September 1936 through early 1940,
              though he traveled far and wide during this time. He married Dorothy
              Putnam on June 13, 1940 in Florida. DB died in Los Angeles on June
              9, 1957.

              I believe Armine's books were published by Dodd, Mead.

              ~~Cadia
            • keith2draw@home.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 12, 2001
                Thanks Cadia for correcting me on the book Armine was actually
                writing while with DB...I got that mixed up. I believe Armines books
                were put out by various publishers...but Dodd, Mead & Co. was
                definately one of them.

                tj:

                FRESNO, Calif., Dec. 2 (AP) -- Armine von Tempski, writer and
                lecturer, was found dead here in her hotel room today. She was 44
                years old. Deputy Coroner L. R. Webb said she died of a heart attack.
                Best known of Miss von Tempski's works is "Born in Paradise," an
                autobiography which became a best seller.

                (This apeared in the New York Times Dec. 3, 1943)

                ~~Keith
              • Nelson Black
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 12, 2001
                  Cadia: Thanks for the information. I was reading one of Blanding's books
                  last night and placed his time in Carmel before the marriage to Dorothy. I
                  keep meaning to send an e-mail to Dorothy's grandaughter with a thanks for a
                  delightful book (I have the son's address through the DuPont registry) but
                  have yet to do so. Still doing an inventory on the book collection and it's
                  mighty time consuming; thank goodness for abebooks. Surprising to me that
                  so many people, outside of Hawaiki, don't know who Blanding was. Since his
                  poetry has been out of print for so long, I guess it should not be too much
                  of a mystery. I describe him as a Rod McKuen (sp?) for the 30s and 40s but
                  perhaps that label is not fair to the memory of D.B.

                  Nelson
                  > Quoting from DB's March 3, 1956 column in the Star-Bulletin:
                  >
                  > "This brings another memory. Armine von Tempski and her husband, Al
                  > Ball, were living in my house in Carmel while she was writing the
                  > first half of her book, Born in Paradise. We were taking a walk along
                  > the Carmel shore to get the typewriter cramps out of our fingers. A
                  > group of Sicilian fishermen and their families were seated on the
                  > grass. They were eating. They had big loaves of delectable dark
                  > bread. They had wine, garlic, onions, etc.
                  >
                  > "But Armine and I spotted something else, and began to drool. They
                  > were opening and eating beautiful sea-urchins. We paused. A big fat
                  > happy looking woman saw us staring. She said something to the others
                  > and mockingly offered us one of the sea-urchins. We practically broke
                  > her wrist snatching it. She saw the happy reminiscent expressions in
                  > our eyes and realized we were veterans to this fare. We were invited
                  > to join them. After that, these nice people would call us when they
                  > went sea-urchining, and we'd drop whatever we were doing and speed to
                  > the feast."
                  >
                  > DB lived in Carmel from about September 1936 through early 1940,
                  > though he traveled far and wide during this time. He married Dorothy
                  > Putnam on June 13, 1940 in Florida. DB died in Los Angeles on June
                  > 9, 1957.
                  >

                  > I believe Armine's books were published by Dodd, Mead.
                  >
                  > ~~Cadia

                • Nelson Black
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 12, 2001
                    In reading the flyleaf of Drifter's Gold, I see that Vagabound's House is in
                    Carmel. I assume this was an actual place. Is it still standing and do you
                    know the address? I know that many of the old bungalows have been torn down
                    and replaced by McMansions.

                    Nelson
                    > Quoting from DB's March 3, 1956 column in the Star-Bulletin:
                    >
                    > "This brings another memory. Armine von Tempski and her husband, Al
                    > Ball, were living in my house in Carmel while she was writing the
                    > first half of her book, Born in Paradise. We were taking a walk along
                    > the Carmel shore to get the typewriter cramps out of our fingers. A
                    > group of Sicilian fishermen and their families were seated on the
                    > grass. They were eating. They had big loaves of delectable dark
                    > bread. They had wine, garlic, onions, etc.
                    >
                    > "But Armine and I spotted something else, and began to drool. They
                    > were opening and eating beautiful sea-urchins. We paused. A big fat
                    > happy looking woman saw us staring. She said something to the others
                    > and mockingly offered us one of the sea-urchins. We practically broke
                    > her wrist snatching it. She saw the happy reminiscent expressions in
                    > our eyes and realized we were veterans to this fare. We were invited
                    > to join them. After that, these nice people would call us when they
                    > went sea-urchining, and we'd drop whatever we were doing and speed to
                    > the feast."
                    >
                    > DB lived in Carmel from about September 1936 through early 1940,
                    > though he traveled far and wide during this time. He married Dorothy
                    > Putnam on June 13, 1940 in Florida. DB died in Los Angeles on June
                    > 9, 1957.
                    >

                    > I believe Armine's books were published by Dodd, Mead.
                    >
                    > ~~Cadia

                  • Nelson Black
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 12, 2001
                      By the way, sea urchins are a delicacy appreciated mainly these days in
                      sushi...."uni" is the Japanese word the next time you're in a sushi bar. I
                      was introduced to them when I was in the Peace Corps stationed in the North
                      of Chile in the early 60s. When we were lucky enough to afford them, we
                      would eat them as an appetizer with a bit of lime, parsley, and (I think)
                      finely chopped onion. Delicious...but defintely an acquired taste.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 12, 2001
                        Nelson,

                        Yes, DB's Carmel home is still there. Bev took a number of photos,
                        inside and out, when she visited the current owners. You can see
                        them in Files: Photos: Places DB Lived or Visited:

                        The Files contain a number of other photos plus assorted articles and
                        notes:

                        Enjoy!

                        ~~Cadia
                      • Nelson Black
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 13, 2001
                          Thanks....nice of the owners to let her in....

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 14, 2001
                            Nelson,

                            Al & Betty Landi are very friendly and this is their get away house from the
                            Stanford area. They are the 2nd owners since DB. He originally sold it to
                            his good friends the Spencers, who ran the local book and paper supply store
                            in Carmel. They came to the DB Carmel show and were very eager to share their
                            home with us.

                          • Nelson Black
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 14, 2001
                              Interesting....you all certainly have done a lot of work on Mr.Blanding's
                              history. I trust he is smiling to know he is so well remembered.