Re: Tempski

  • keith2draw@home.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 11, 2001
      tj,

      No...the death report on Armine has never been requested. That would
      be great if you could get a copy! I've always suspected something
      fishy about how she died alone in a hotel room at the young age of 43
      (if I remember correctly.)

      When is your last day in the work force?...you lucky dog!!!

      P.S. that copy of Virgin of Waikiki that I beat you to on ebay has no
      real connection to Blanding or Carmel. It was used by a Navy
      serviceman in World War II as a kind of scrapbook. He had it bound in
      leather and had a couple of dozen extra pages added for the
      signatures and inscriptions of friends and colleagues. It's quite
      fascinating, and will make a nice addition to my collection...but has
      no real value in terms of Blanding research.

      It is not signed by Blanding, so I highly doubt that the owner (Sgt.
      J. Archie Chmelik) ever even met him. It's pretty cool though, and
      might be valuable to a WWII buff.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 11, 2001
        TJ,

        Nice to have you and Jan back. Hope all is well with Jan’s Mom. Heard from
        Don & Michelle and they are still in Carmel trying to sell their home there.
        They will then move to Orange County where I live. Hope to see them at DA
        SHOW, a Hawaiiana gathering at Manhattan Beach on June 24th.

        Hope you find out more on Armine and her death. Milo Shepard of the Jack
        London Ranch is sure she didn’t die of a heart attack….”she wasn’t that sick
        and would never have gone on the tour if she was ill.”

        Bev.

        So, did anyone get a copy of a police report on Tempski when she died in
        Fresno? It was Fresno, right? If not, tj in one of his last unofficial acts
        as a law enforcement officer will attempt to uncover one from the Fresno
        archives.....tj

      • Nelson Black
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 11, 2001
          Keith: Was Armine a Blanding relation? Daughter?

          Nelson

        • keith2draw@home.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 11, 2001
            Nelson,

            Armine von Tempski was a writer of Hawaiian novels and romances who
            came from the famous von Tempsky family of the Haleakala Ranch on
            Maui. Her father introduced Polo to Hawaii.

            She was a very good friend of Blanding's...but no relation. Her and
            her husband Al Ball lived with Blanding for awhile in Carmel while
            she was writing her autobiographical novel "Aloha."

            Keith
          • Nelson Black
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 11, 2001
              I will keep my eyes open for her books....published by a mainstream house?
              Where did Blanding eventually end up? My folks lived in Carmel in the
              mid-30s.

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 11, 2001
                Nelson,

                Quoting from DB's March 3, 1956 column in the Star-Bulletin:

                "This brings another memory. Armine von Tempski and her husband, Al
                Ball, were living in my house in Carmel while she was writing the
                first half of her book, Born in Paradise. We were taking a walk along
                the Carmel shore to get the typewriter cramps out of our fingers. A
                group of Sicilian fishermen and their families were seated on the
                grass. They were eating. They had big loaves of delectable dark
                bread. They had wine, garlic, onions, etc.

                "But Armine and I spotted something else, and began to drool. They
                were opening and eating beautiful sea-urchins. We paused. A big fat
                happy looking woman saw us staring. She said something to the others
                and mockingly offered us one of the sea-urchins. We practically broke
                her wrist snatching it. She saw the happy reminiscent expressions in
                our eyes and realized we were veterans to this fare. We were invited
                to join them. After that, these nice people would call us when they
                went sea-urchining, and we'd drop whatever we were doing and speed to
                the feast."

                DB lived in Carmel from about September 1936 through early 1940,
                though he traveled far and wide during this time. He married Dorothy
                Putnam on June 13, 1940 in Florida. DB died in Los Angeles on June
                9, 1957.

                I believe Armine's books were published by Dodd, Mead.

                ~~Cadia
              • keith2draw@home.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 12, 2001
                  Thanks Cadia for correcting me on the book Armine was actually
                  writing while with DB...I got that mixed up. I believe Armines books
                  were put out by various publishers...but Dodd, Mead & Co. was
                  definately one of them.

                  tj:

                  FRESNO, Calif., Dec. 2 (AP) -- Armine von Tempski, writer and
                  lecturer, was found dead here in her hotel room today. She was 44
                  years old. Deputy Coroner L. R. Webb said she died of a heart attack.
                  Best known of Miss von Tempski's works is "Born in Paradise," an
                  autobiography which became a best seller.

                  (This apeared in the New York Times Dec. 3, 1943)

                  ~~Keith
                • Nelson Black
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 12, 2001
                    Cadia: Thanks for the information. I was reading one of Blanding's books
                    last night and placed his time in Carmel before the marriage to Dorothy. I
                    keep meaning to send an e-mail to Dorothy's grandaughter with a thanks for a
                    delightful book (I have the son's address through the DuPont registry) but
                    have yet to do so. Still doing an inventory on the book collection and it's
                    mighty time consuming; thank goodness for abebooks. Surprising to me that
                    so many people, outside of Hawaiki, don't know who Blanding was. Since his
                    poetry has been out of print for so long, I guess it should not be too much
                    of a mystery. I describe him as a Rod McKuen (sp?) for the 30s and 40s but
                    perhaps that label is not fair to the memory of D.B.

                    Nelson
                    > Quoting from DB's March 3, 1956 column in the Star-Bulletin:
                    >
                    > "This brings another memory. Armine von Tempski and her husband, Al
                    > Ball, were living in my house in Carmel while she was writing the
                    > first half of her book, Born in Paradise. We were taking a walk along
                    > the Carmel shore to get the typewriter cramps out of our fingers. A
                    > group of Sicilian fishermen and their families were seated on the
                    > grass. They were eating. They had big loaves of delectable dark
                    > bread. They had wine, garlic, onions, etc.
                    >
                    > "But Armine and I spotted something else, and began to drool. They
                    > were opening and eating beautiful sea-urchins. We paused. A big fat
                    > happy looking woman saw us staring. She said something to the others
                    > and mockingly offered us one of the sea-urchins. We practically broke
                    > her wrist snatching it. She saw the happy reminiscent expressions in
                    > our eyes and realized we were veterans to this fare. We were invited
                    > to join them. After that, these nice people would call us when they
                    > went sea-urchining, and we'd drop whatever we were doing and speed to
                    > the feast."
                    >
                    > DB lived in Carmel from about September 1936 through early 1940,
                    > though he traveled far and wide during this time. He married Dorothy
                    > Putnam on June 13, 1940 in Florida. DB died in Los Angeles on June
                    > 9, 1957.
                    >

                    > I believe Armine's books were published by Dodd, Mead.
                    >
                    > ~~Cadia

                  • Nelson Black
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 12, 2001
                      In reading the flyleaf of Drifter's Gold, I see that Vagabound's House is in
                      Carmel. I assume this was an actual place. Is it still standing and do you
                      know the address? I know that many of the old bungalows have been torn down
                      and replaced by McMansions.

                      Nelson
                      > Quoting from DB's March 3, 1956 column in the Star-Bulletin:
                      >
                      > "This brings another memory. Armine von Tempski and her husband, Al
                      > Ball, were living in my house in Carmel while she was writing the
                      > first half of her book, Born in Paradise. We were taking a walk along
                      > the Carmel shore to get the typewriter cramps out of our fingers. A
                      > group of Sicilian fishermen and their families were seated on the
                      > grass. They were eating. They had big loaves of delectable dark
                      > bread. They had wine, garlic, onions, etc.
                      >
                      > "But Armine and I spotted something else, and began to drool. They
                      > were opening and eating beautiful sea-urchins. We paused. A big fat
                      > happy looking woman saw us staring. She said something to the others
                      > and mockingly offered us one of the sea-urchins. We practically broke
                      > her wrist snatching it. She saw the happy reminiscent expressions in
                      > our eyes and realized we were veterans to this fare. We were invited
                      > to join them. After that, these nice people would call us when they
                      > went sea-urchining, and we'd drop whatever we were doing and speed to
                      > the feast."
                      >
                      > DB lived in Carmel from about September 1936 through early 1940,
                      > though he traveled far and wide during this time. He married Dorothy
                      > Putnam on June 13, 1940 in Florida. DB died in Los Angeles on June
                      > 9, 1957.
                      >

                      > I believe Armine's books were published by Dodd, Mead.
                      >
                      > ~~Cadia

                    • Nelson Black
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 12, 2001
                        By the way, sea urchins are a delicacy appreciated mainly these days in
                        sushi...."uni" is the Japanese word the next time you're in a sushi bar. I
                        was introduced to them when I was in the Peace Corps stationed in the North
                        of Chile in the early 60s. When we were lucky enough to afford them, we
                        would eat them as an appetizer with a bit of lime, parsley, and (I think)
                        finely chopped onion. Delicious...but defintely an acquired taste.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 12, 2001
                          Nelson,

                          Yes, DB's Carmel home is still there. Bev took a number of photos,
                          inside and out, when she visited the current owners. You can see
                          them in Files: Photos: Places DB Lived or Visited:

                          The Files contain a number of other photos plus assorted articles and
                          notes:

                          Enjoy!

                          ~~Cadia
                        • Nelson Black
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 13, 2001
                            Thanks....nice of the owners to let her in....

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 14, 2001
                              Nelson,

                              Al & Betty Landi are very friendly and this is their get away house from the
                              Stanford area. They are the 2nd owners since DB. He originally sold it to
                              his good friends the Spencers, who ran the local book and paper supply store
                              in Carmel. They came to the DB Carmel show and were very eager to share their
                              home with us.

                            • Nelson Black
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 14, 2001
                                Interesting....you all certainly have done a lot of work on Mr.Blanding's
                                history. I trust he is smiling to know he is so well remembered.