[aloha-donblanding] Re: A request

  • Merle Prusia
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 11, 2000
      Hi, Keith Per your request-10th printing, 1931, Cohan----15thprinting, '34,
      Cohan---27th printing,'41,Challenger---45th printing,56, Challeger I'm
      really enjoying all this , Merle
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2000
        Cadia,
        Thanks for the information. So we have a time-frame between 1928 and
        1940. Anyone else out there with editions between those years? More
        modern editions might even have a third person if Challenger died
        before Blanding.

        Also, in addition to the two NY Times articles Cadia mentioned, there
        is another dated March 2, 1930, which reads:

        "Don Blanding and Earl Challenger work in such close harmony - often
        on the same decoration - that it is difficult to distinguish the
        painting of one from the other. They have just returned from some
        tropical country and brought back with them in minute detail
        information about the flora and some of the fauna, especially humming
        birds, striped fish and butterflies. This accurate detail, in all its
        richness and finesse and color, decorates panels and screens, sometimes
        with too much exuberance. Somehow, one can sympathize with the
        temptation to put in just one more beautiful pink flower, just another
        curling green leaf. - Don Blanding and Earl Challenger - The S.P.R.
        Penthouse."

        Anyone heard of the S.P.R. Penthouse in NYC? ...or can venture a guess
        as to what it might stand for?

        Challenger also wrote several articles in the publication 'Paradise of
        the Pacific', the first in December, 1942 "Kona - before and after",
        and the other in December, 1943 "Hawaii rifles... Big Island volunteer
        unit". I have sent for copies of these articles, and hopefully will get
        them soon.

        Keith
      • Bill McMurray
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2000
          Hi Gang!
          Mine is the19th edition, 1936 and the name is Earl Cohan.

          ----------

        • AhrSea@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2000
            In a message dated 2/1/00 11:02:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            keith2draw@... writes:

            In the earlier versions of the book, the request in 'Someday' is to
            Earl Cohan. Sometime later, the request is made to Earl Challenger------
            I have a 1946 edition DoddMead of Vagabond's House and on page 91 the
            request in Someday is made of Earl Challenger. Hope this helps
            AhrSea
          • Keith Emmons
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2000
              So the Cohan-Challenger mystery is narrowed down to between the 19th
              printing, 1936 and the 25th printing, 1940.