Tempski

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 11 7:09 AM
      So, did anyone get a copy of a police report on Tempski when she died in
      Fresno? It was Fresno, right? If not, tj in one of his last unofficial acts
      as a law enforcement officer will attempt to uncover one from the Fresno
      archives.....tj
    • keith2draw@home.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 11 10:13 AM
        tj,

        No...the death report on Armine has never been requested. That would
        be great if you could get a copy! I've always suspected something
        fishy about how she died alone in a hotel room at the young age of 43
        (if I remember correctly.)

        When is your last day in the work force?...you lucky dog!!!

        P.S. that copy of Virgin of Waikiki that I beat you to on ebay has no
        real connection to Blanding or Carmel. It was used by a Navy
        serviceman in World War II as a kind of scrapbook. He had it bound in
        leather and had a couple of dozen extra pages added for the
        signatures and inscriptions of friends and colleagues. It's quite
        fascinating, and will make a nice addition to my collection...but has
        no real value in terms of Blanding research.

        It is not signed by Blanding, so I highly doubt that the owner (Sgt.
        J. Archie Chmelik) ever even met him. It's pretty cool though, and
        might be valuable to a WWII buff.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 11 6:13 PM
          TJ,

          Nice to have you and Jan back. Hope all is well with Jan’s Mom. Heard from
          Don & Michelle and they are still in Carmel trying to sell their home there.
          They will then move to Orange County where I live. Hope to see them at DA
          SHOW, a Hawaiiana gathering at Manhattan Beach on June 24th.

          Hope you find out more on Armine and her death. Milo Shepard of the Jack
          London Ranch is sure she didn’t die of a heart attack….”she wasn’t that sick
          and would never have gone on the tour if she was ill.”

          Bev.

          So, did anyone get a copy of a police report on Tempski when she died in
          Fresno? It was Fresno, right? If not, tj in one of his last unofficial acts
          as a law enforcement officer will attempt to uncover one from the Fresno
          archives.....tj

        • Nelson Black
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 11 6:35 PM
            Keith: Was Armine a Blanding relation? Daughter?

            Nelson

          • keith2draw@home.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 11 8:17 PM
              Nelson,

              Armine von Tempski was a writer of Hawaiian novels and romances who
              came from the famous von Tempsky family of the Haleakala Ranch on
              Maui. Her father introduced Polo to Hawaii.

              She was a very good friend of Blanding's...but no relation. Her and
              her husband Al Ball lived with Blanding for awhile in Carmel while
              she was writing her autobiographical novel "Aloha."

              Keith
            • Nelson Black
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 11 8:24 PM
                I will keep my eyes open for her books....published by a mainstream house?
                Where did Blanding eventually end up? My folks lived in Carmel in the
                mid-30s.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 11 9:36 PM
                  Nelson,

                  Quoting from DB's March 3, 1956 column in the Star-Bulletin:

                  "This brings another memory. Armine von Tempski and her husband, Al
                  Ball, were living in my house in Carmel while she was writing the
                  first half of her book, Born in Paradise. We were taking a walk along
                  the Carmel shore to get the typewriter cramps out of our fingers. A
                  group of Sicilian fishermen and their families were seated on the
                  grass. They were eating. They had big loaves of delectable dark
                  bread. They had wine, garlic, onions, etc.

                  "But Armine and I spotted something else, and began to drool. They
                  were opening and eating beautiful sea-urchins. We paused. A big fat
                  happy looking woman saw us staring. She said something to the others
                  and mockingly offered us one of the sea-urchins. We practically broke
                  her wrist snatching it. She saw the happy reminiscent expressions in
                  our eyes and realized we were veterans to this fare. We were invited
                  to join them. After that, these nice people would call us when they
                  went sea-urchining, and we'd drop whatever we were doing and speed to
                  the feast."

                  DB lived in Carmel from about September 1936 through early 1940,
                  though he traveled far and wide during this time. He married Dorothy
                  Putnam on June 13, 1940 in Florida. DB died in Los Angeles on June
                  9, 1957.

                  I believe Armine's books were published by Dodd, Mead.

                  ~~Cadia
                • keith2draw@home.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 12 4:52 AM
                    Thanks Cadia for correcting me on the book Armine was actually
                    writing while with DB...I got that mixed up. I believe Armines books
                    were put out by various publishers...but Dodd, Mead & Co. was
                    definately one of them.

                    tj:

                    FRESNO, Calif., Dec. 2 (AP) -- Armine von Tempski, writer and
                    lecturer, was found dead here in her hotel room today. She was 44
                    years old. Deputy Coroner L. R. Webb said she died of a heart attack.
                    Best known of Miss von Tempski's works is "Born in Paradise," an
                    autobiography which became a best seller.

                    (This apeared in the New York Times Dec. 3, 1943)

                    ~~Keith
                  • Nelson Black
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 12 9:25 AM
                      Cadia: Thanks for the information. I was reading one of Blanding's books
                      last night and placed his time in Carmel before the marriage to Dorothy. I
                      keep meaning to send an e-mail to Dorothy's grandaughter with a thanks for a
                      delightful book (I have the son's address through the DuPont registry) but
                      have yet to do so. Still doing an inventory on the book collection and it's
                      mighty time consuming; thank goodness for abebooks. Surprising to me that
                      so many people, outside of Hawaiki, don't know who Blanding was. Since his
                      poetry has been out of print for so long, I guess it should not be too much
                      of a mystery. I describe him as a Rod McKuen (sp?) for the 30s and 40s but
                      perhaps that label is not fair to the memory of D.B.

                      Nelson
                      > Quoting from DB's March 3, 1956 column in the Star-Bulletin:
                      >
                      > "This brings another memory. Armine von Tempski and her husband, Al
                      > Ball, were living in my house in Carmel while she was writing the
                      > first half of her book, Born in Paradise. We were taking a walk along
                      > the Carmel shore to get the typewriter cramps out of our fingers. A
                      > group of Sicilian fishermen and their families were seated on the
                      > grass. They were eating. They had big loaves of delectable dark
                      > bread. They had wine, garlic, onions, etc.
                      >
                      > "But Armine and I spotted something else, and began to drool. They
                      > were opening and eating beautiful sea-urchins. We paused. A big fat
                      > happy looking woman saw us staring. She said something to the others
                      > and mockingly offered us one of the sea-urchins. We practically broke
                      > her wrist snatching it. She saw the happy reminiscent expressions in
                      > our eyes and realized we were veterans to this fare. We were invited
                      > to join them. After that, these nice people would call us when they
                      > went sea-urchining, and we'd drop whatever we were doing and speed to
                      > the feast."
                      >
                      > DB lived in Carmel from about September 1936 through early 1940,
                      > though he traveled far and wide during this time. He married Dorothy
                      > Putnam on June 13, 1940 in Florida. DB died in Los Angeles on June
                      > 9, 1957.
                      >

                      > I believe Armine's books were published by Dodd, Mead.
                      >
                      > ~~Cadia

                    • Nelson Black
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 12 9:28 AM
                        In reading the flyleaf of Drifter's Gold, I see that Vagabound's House is in
                        Carmel. I assume this was an actual place. Is it still standing and do you
                        know the address? I know that many of the old bungalows have been torn down
                        and replaced by McMansions.

                        Nelson
                        > Quoting from DB's March 3, 1956 column in the Star-Bulletin:
                        >
                        > "This brings another memory. Armine von Tempski and her husband, Al
                        > Ball, were living in my house in Carmel while she was writing the
                        > first half of her book, Born in Paradise. We were taking a walk along
                        > the Carmel shore to get the typewriter cramps out of our fingers. A
                        > group of Sicilian fishermen and their families were seated on the
                        > grass. They were eating. They had big loaves of delectable dark
                        > bread. They had wine, garlic, onions, etc.
                        >
                        > "But Armine and I spotted something else, and began to drool. They
                        > were opening and eating beautiful sea-urchins. We paused. A big fat
                        > happy looking woman saw us staring. She said something to the others
                        > and mockingly offered us one of the sea-urchins. We practically broke
                        > her wrist snatching it. She saw the happy reminiscent expressions in
                        > our eyes and realized we were veterans to this fare. We were invited
                        > to join them. After that, these nice people would call us when they
                        > went sea-urchining, and we'd drop whatever we were doing and speed to
                        > the feast."
                        >
                        > DB lived in Carmel from about September 1936 through early 1940,
                        > though he traveled far and wide during this time. He married Dorothy
                        > Putnam on June 13, 1940 in Florida. DB died in Los Angeles on June
                        > 9, 1957.
                        >

                        > I believe Armine's books were published by Dodd, Mead.
                        >
                        > ~~Cadia

                      • Nelson Black
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 12 9:35 AM
                          By the way, sea urchins are a delicacy appreciated mainly these days in
                          sushi...."uni" is the Japanese word the next time you're in a sushi bar. I
                          was introduced to them when I was in the Peace Corps stationed in the North
                          of Chile in the early 60s. When we were lucky enough to afford them, we
                          would eat them as an appetizer with a bit of lime, parsley, and (I think)
                          finely chopped onion. Delicious...but defintely an acquired taste.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 12 11:36 PM
                            Nelson,

                            Yes, DB's Carmel home is still there. Bev took a number of photos,
                            inside and out, when she visited the current owners. You can see
                            them in Files: Photos: Places DB Lived or Visited:

                            The Files contain a number of other photos plus assorted articles and
                            notes:

                            Enjoy!

                            ~~Cadia
                          • Nelson Black
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 13 5:00 PM
                              Thanks....nice of the owners to let her in....

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 14 8:06 AM
                                Nelson,

                                Al & Betty Landi are very friendly and this is their get away house from the
                                Stanford area. They are the 2nd owners since DB. He originally sold it to
                                his good friends the Spencers, who ran the local book and paper supply store
                                in Carmel. They came to the DB Carmel show and were very eager to share their
                                home with us.

                              • Nelson Black
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 14 4:36 PM
                                  Interesting....you all certainly have done a lot of work on Mr.Blanding's
                                  history. I trust he is smiling to know he is so well remembered.