Re: [aloha-donblanding] Virgin of Waikiki

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
      tj has many copies also, but where/when was the one created with the Island
      grass cover on it??? ........tj
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
        This isn't about the infamous Virgin but some info about
        Chowchilla........There isn't any info on DB or Scotty yet, however, tj just
        returned from a family reunion in Fresno...so, on the way home, tj stopped in
        Chowchilla and handed out some flyers to the open antique shops, Senior
        citizen center (well, it was open, unlike the rest of the town!). Out of
        this, I found one shop owner that has a phone book from 1937 (she thinks) and
        she will check out the Creager name to see if there was a listing and contact
        me. I also obtained the names of some originals from the Chowchilla area now
        in there 70's that might be leads. I have the name of the High School
        Principal and will follow up with him on year books. The local newspaper
        publishes once per week and has been in business for 87 years and who knows,
        might have some archived articles, etc...(unless super slueth Keith has
        already gone there)..one shop owner told me there was a flood in town and the
        basement of the newspaper was flooded and much was lost...this happened in
        Carmel also.......any connection to DB??? (smile)
        There was absolutely no other action in this town of 6200 people. It
        was Sunday and all 15 churches were full and nothing else was open....tj
        found a small RV park however, and at least the Blandingmobile will have a
        place of honor when tj follows up on any leads that might surface....if
        any....we'll see.....Only one shop owner even heard of DB and of 4 open
        shops, only 2 even knew of the Vernon Kilns work of DB.......there is a
        Madera County Historical Society and I will follow up on that to see what if
        anything might be known......the current coordinator of the Historical
        society lives in Chowchilla and is original family to the area...we'll see
        where this takes me.....also any other info on Scotty would be helpful.....
        After a lay-off of 5 months of DB hunting due to family caretaking
        issues, it felt good to get into the fray again, even if it was in
        Chowchilla....believe me, this town is not growing at all.....Main St had
        maybe 5 cars on it when I went through.....I can't see DB staying there for
        long...hot, dusty and flat....not the environment that DB liked, for
        sure.........keep you all posted on anything new..........tj
      • allen@sawtelle.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
          Hey! We lived in Fresno for 20 years and I used an airplane mechanic in
          Chochilla. Every been to Firebaugh? Wild place! The local call it
          Fireball. What can I say? Allen

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
            Allen: We zipped by Firebaugh without thinking of it........didn't know it
            was a "wild and wooly" place......Where would I go to when I go back? ..My
            sister in law lives in Fresno and she is dating a pilot now...she is 61 and
            he is 70......he went through WW2, etc.....we were talking about all of this
            at the reunion but he had never heard of Uncle Don.....keep in
            touch...........tj
          • keith2draw@home.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
              tj...you're thinking of 'Leaves from a Grass-House'

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
                Yes Keith, I knew that! (smile)....after I sent off the message I pulled out
                my copy of Leaves..........and smiled......thanks.........tj
              • allen@sawtelle.net
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 28, 2006
                  No, he thought it was his idea. Allen