Re: Virgin of Waikiki

  • keith2draw@home.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 8, 2001
      Hard to say what the value would be on a true first edition of the
      Virgin. I have a copy of my own and I wouldn't sell it for anything.
      I'd say closer to $120-$150...but maybe that's just me.

      I made a mistake on the color of the second edition (David Graham
      Fischer edition) as I was working from memory. It is actually
      burgundy...not olive, and it has gold ink.

      Can I ask you if your copy has an owner's name in it? I'm trying to
      compile a list of members of the WAMPAS group.

      I do have a few Blanding bibliographies. One is on this site in the
      files section (top of the list)...and the other is on my Blanding
      website: http://www.don-blanding.com/works.htm

      Although it's not as complete as I'd like it...a work in progress.

      Keith
    • Nelson Black
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 8, 2001
        Keith: Nope, no owners name. I bought it from the Jack London Bookstore
        in Glen Ellen. She has been in the business a long time and has a good
        memory. She bought a lot of Blandings several years ago and may remember
        the owner. Long shot but worth a try. I know your bibliographers are
        serious cats. I remember meeting the man who did an Art Tatum bibliography.
        He spent an astounding amount of time to get the date of a concert right.
        As the old saw goes, someone has to do it.

        Did Blanding end up in California? He certainly hit the circuit. My father
        had (now mine) an inscribed copy of Today Is Here from Rotary in Santa Rosa
        California in 1947....

        Nelson

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
          tj has many copies also, but where/when was the one created with the Island
          grass cover on it??? ........tj
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
            This isn't about the infamous Virgin but some info about
            Chowchilla........There isn't any info on DB or Scotty yet, however, tj just
            returned from a family reunion in Fresno...so, on the way home, tj stopped in
            Chowchilla and handed out some flyers to the open antique shops, Senior
            citizen center (well, it was open, unlike the rest of the town!). Out of
            this, I found one shop owner that has a phone book from 1937 (she thinks) and
            she will check out the Creager name to see if there was a listing and contact
            me. I also obtained the names of some originals from the Chowchilla area now
            in there 70's that might be leads. I have the name of the High School
            Principal and will follow up with him on year books. The local newspaper
            publishes once per week and has been in business for 87 years and who knows,
            might have some archived articles, etc...(unless super slueth Keith has
            already gone there)..one shop owner told me there was a flood in town and the
            basement of the newspaper was flooded and much was lost...this happened in
            Carmel also.......any connection to DB??? (smile)
            There was absolutely no other action in this town of 6200 people. It
            was Sunday and all 15 churches were full and nothing else was open....tj
            found a small RV park however, and at least the Blandingmobile will have a
            place of honor when tj follows up on any leads that might surface....if
            any....we'll see.....Only one shop owner even heard of DB and of 4 open
            shops, only 2 even knew of the Vernon Kilns work of DB.......there is a
            Madera County Historical Society and I will follow up on that to see what if
            anything might be known......the current coordinator of the Historical
            society lives in Chowchilla and is original family to the area...we'll see
            where this takes me.....also any other info on Scotty would be helpful.....
            After a lay-off of 5 months of DB hunting due to family caretaking
            issues, it felt good to get into the fray again, even if it was in
            Chowchilla....believe me, this town is not growing at all.....Main St had
            maybe 5 cars on it when I went through.....I can't see DB staying there for
            long...hot, dusty and flat....not the environment that DB liked, for
            sure.........keep you all posted on anything new..........tj
          • allen@sawtelle.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
              Hey! We lived in Fresno for 20 years and I used an airplane mechanic in
              Chochilla. Every been to Firebaugh? Wild place! The local call it
              Fireball. What can I say? Allen

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
                Allen: We zipped by Firebaugh without thinking of it........didn't know it
                was a "wild and wooly" place......Where would I go to when I go back? ..My
                sister in law lives in Fresno and she is dating a pilot now...she is 61 and
                he is 70......he went through WW2, etc.....we were talking about all of this
                at the reunion but he had never heard of Uncle Don.....keep in
                touch...........tj
              • keith2draw@home.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
                  tj...you're thinking of 'Leaves from a Grass-House'

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
                    Yes Keith, I knew that! (smile)....after I sent off the message I pulled out
                    my copy of Leaves..........and smiled......thanks.........tj
                  • allen@sawtelle.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 28, 2006
                      No, he thought it was his idea. Allen