Re: [aloha-donblanding] Virgin of Waikiki

  • Nelson Black
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 8, 2001
      Keith: Thanks for the detailed response. I have the first, printed for the
      Wampas Club. A few hundred printed sounds right to me. So for insurance
      purposes, what would you guess....about $50-75? Decent shape, I would say
      good to very good.
      Some pin holes in the front leaf and minor rubbing on the title page. "her
      smile was beatific."

      Seems to me with your knowledge of Blanding you should do a bibliography, if
      you have not done so already. Did he end up in California? I understand
      bookstores in Hawaii bring his things in from the states. I remember the
      one decent used book store in Honolulu had a fair size batch of his things
      for sale. The owner seemed fairly knowledgable.

      Nelson
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 8, 2001
        Hard to say what the value would be on a true first edition of the
        Virgin. I have a copy of my own and I wouldn't sell it for anything.
        I'd say closer to $120-$150...but maybe that's just me.

        I made a mistake on the color of the second edition (David Graham
        Fischer edition) as I was working from memory. It is actually
        burgundy...not olive, and it has gold ink.

        Can I ask you if your copy has an owner's name in it? I'm trying to
        compile a list of members of the WAMPAS group.

        I do have a few Blanding bibliographies. One is on this site in the
        files section (top of the list)...and the other is on my Blanding
        website: http://www.don-blanding.com/works.htm

        Although it's not as complete as I'd like it...a work in progress.

        Keith
      • Nelson Black
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 8, 2001
          Keith: Nope, no owners name. I bought it from the Jack London Bookstore
          in Glen Ellen. She has been in the business a long time and has a good
          memory. She bought a lot of Blandings several years ago and may remember
          the owner. Long shot but worth a try. I know your bibliographers are
          serious cats. I remember meeting the man who did an Art Tatum bibliography.
          He spent an astounding amount of time to get the date of a concert right.
          As the old saw goes, someone has to do it.

          Did Blanding end up in California? He certainly hit the circuit. My father
          had (now mine) an inscribed copy of Today Is Here from Rotary in Santa Rosa
          California in 1947....

          Nelson

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
            tj has many copies also, but where/when was the one created with the Island
            grass cover on it??? ........tj
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
              This isn't about the infamous Virgin but some info about
              Chowchilla........There isn't any info on DB or Scotty yet, however, tj just
              returned from a family reunion in Fresno...so, on the way home, tj stopped in
              Chowchilla and handed out some flyers to the open antique shops, Senior
              citizen center (well, it was open, unlike the rest of the town!). Out of
              this, I found one shop owner that has a phone book from 1937 (she thinks) and
              she will check out the Creager name to see if there was a listing and contact
              me. I also obtained the names of some originals from the Chowchilla area now
              in there 70's that might be leads. I have the name of the High School
              Principal and will follow up with him on year books. The local newspaper
              publishes once per week and has been in business for 87 years and who knows,
              might have some archived articles, etc...(unless super slueth Keith has
              already gone there)..one shop owner told me there was a flood in town and the
              basement of the newspaper was flooded and much was lost...this happened in
              Carmel also.......any connection to DB??? (smile)
              There was absolutely no other action in this town of 6200 people. It
              was Sunday and all 15 churches were full and nothing else was open....tj
              found a small RV park however, and at least the Blandingmobile will have a
              place of honor when tj follows up on any leads that might surface....if
              any....we'll see.....Only one shop owner even heard of DB and of 4 open
              shops, only 2 even knew of the Vernon Kilns work of DB.......there is a
              Madera County Historical Society and I will follow up on that to see what if
              anything might be known......the current coordinator of the Historical
              society lives in Chowchilla and is original family to the area...we'll see
              where this takes me.....also any other info on Scotty would be helpful.....
              After a lay-off of 5 months of DB hunting due to family caretaking
              issues, it felt good to get into the fray again, even if it was in
              Chowchilla....believe me, this town is not growing at all.....Main St had
              maybe 5 cars on it when I went through.....I can't see DB staying there for
              long...hot, dusty and flat....not the environment that DB liked, for
              sure.........keep you all posted on anything new..........tj
            • allen@sawtelle.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
                Hey! We lived in Fresno for 20 years and I used an airplane mechanic in
                Chochilla. Every been to Firebaugh? Wild place! The local call it
                Fireball. What can I say? Allen

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
                  Allen: We zipped by Firebaugh without thinking of it........didn't know it
                  was a "wild and wooly" place......Where would I go to when I go back? ..My
                  sister in law lives in Fresno and she is dating a pilot now...she is 61 and
                  he is 70......he went through WW2, etc.....we were talking about all of this
                  at the reunion but he had never heard of Uncle Don.....keep in
                  touch...........tj
                • keith2draw@home.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
                    tj...you're thinking of 'Leaves from a Grass-House'

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
                      Yes Keith, I knew that! (smile)....after I sent off the message I pulled out
                      my copy of Leaves..........and smiled......thanks.........tj
                    • allen@sawtelle.net
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 28, 2006
                        No, he thought it was his idea. Allen