Virgin of Waikiki

  • keith2draw@home.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 8 11:53 AM
      Hi Nelson,

      What version of the 'Virgin of Waikiki' do you have? There were many
      versions, and I may be able to identify which one you have...can you
      describe it?

      The very first printing of 'Virgin Annie" was by the Wampas Club, a
      group of early Hollywood movie writers, in 1926 following Blanding's
      reading of the poem at one of their dinners. It is bound in tan
      cardboard covers with a pulp texture to them, with no illustrations.
      I imagine there were perhaps only a few hundred (if even that) as
      they were just printed for the members of the club.

      Then later in the same year the David Graham Fischer company of Los
      Angeles privately printed up a batch as well. This time the cover was
      on a thin olive-looking faux-leather stock, and it had a string and
      tassle holding it together. It also had no illustrations. I would
      guess this printing to be larger than the first, but probably still
      small.

      The next printing was two years later in Honolulu (1928) and this
      time it had illustrations and decorations by Blanding. It may have
      been printed by the Henry M. Snyder Company, because they had an
      advertisement on the inside back cover.

      In 1930 The Henry M. Snyder Company printed up a new version in a
      small hardback, and this one had illustrations by an unknown artist.
      It doesn't seem to be Blanding's...and there is no credit as to who
      did it. This is the infamous edition by "Don"...

      Three years later the Henry M. Snyder Co. republished the title, this
      time with wonderfully humorous illustrations by A. B. Butler, Jr.
      This is the most common version, which pops up quite frequently on
      ebay. The small decorations on some of the pages are by Blanding and
      were reproduced from the 1928 Honolulu version of the book.

      This same book was again republished in 1938, and quite possibly
      again in the forties.

      So Nelson, which one of these do you have?

      Keith Emmons
      http://www.don-blanding.com
    • allen@sawtelle.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 8 6:56 PM
        I have the original one Uncle Don typed up somewhere if anyone gives a rip.
        Allen
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 8 7:17 PM
          I'd love a copy of that Allen!!

          Keith
        • Nelson, Arlyne M
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 12 5:08 AM
            Cadia: How would I go about changing my email address for this group. I
            now have email at home and would like to use that address which is -
            Arlyne@...

            I love getting all the emails about Don Blanding and friends. I learned
            some things I didn't know - but the State Department might complain about me
            using their system for personal emails. Thanks, Arlyne Nelson

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 12 6:23 AM
              Hi, Arlyne,

              I think the easiest way to change your e-mail address is to use "Edit
              My Membership," which appears near the upper right corner of the
              screen. Select that option, scroll to the bottom of the resulting
              screen and you will see the "Add E-mail Address" link.

              You can select which address receives e-mail.

              You may also want to read "Account Information" and "My
              Preferences." Both links appear at or near the upper right corner of
              a screen. You can have alternate e-mail addresses if you wish, or
              just one.

              Hope this helps!