Re: [aloha-donblanding] Welcome, new members

  • Nelson Black
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 8, 2001
      Cadia: Did you get my earlier question on the Virgin of Waikiki? You
      responded once but I was still curious. I thought a run of 2000 copies a
      bit large on a privately printed book and I noticed there was a regularly
      published version the same year. I have no interest in selling....I am just
      inventorying my books....

      Nelson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 8, 2001
        Hi Nelson,

        What version of the 'Virgin of Waikiki' do you have? There were many
        versions, and I may be able to identify which one you have...can you
        describe it?

        The very first printing of 'Virgin Annie" was by the Wampas Club, a
        group of early Hollywood movie writers, in 1926 following Blanding's
        reading of the poem at one of their dinners. It is bound in tan
        cardboard covers with a pulp texture to them, with no illustrations.
        I imagine there were perhaps only a few hundred (if even that) as
        they were just printed for the members of the club.

        Then later in the same year the David Graham Fischer company of Los
        Angeles privately printed up a batch as well. This time the cover was
        on a thin olive-looking faux-leather stock, and it had a string and
        tassle holding it together. It also had no illustrations. I would
        guess this printing to be larger than the first, but probably still
        small.

        The next printing was two years later in Honolulu (1928) and this
        time it had illustrations and decorations by Blanding. It may have
        been printed by the Henry M. Snyder Company, because they had an
        advertisement on the inside back cover.

        In 1930 The Henry M. Snyder Company printed up a new version in a
        small hardback, and this one had illustrations by an unknown artist.
        It doesn't seem to be Blanding's...and there is no credit as to who
        did it. This is the infamous edition by "Don"...

        Three years later the Henry M. Snyder Co. republished the title, this
        time with wonderfully humorous illustrations by A. B. Butler, Jr.
        This is the most common version, which pops up quite frequently on
        ebay. The small decorations on some of the pages are by Blanding and
        were reproduced from the 1928 Honolulu version of the book.

        This same book was again republished in 1938, and quite possibly
        again in the forties.

        So Nelson, which one of these do you have?

        Keith Emmons
        http://www.don-blanding.com
      • allen@sawtelle.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 8, 2001
          I have the original one Uncle Don typed up somewhere if anyone gives a rip.
          Allen

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • keith2draw@home.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 8, 2001
            I'd love a copy of that Allen!!

            Keith
          • Nelson, Arlyne M
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 12, 2001
              Cadia: How would I go about changing my email address for this group. I
              now have email at home and would like to use that address which is -
              Arlyne@...

              I love getting all the emails about Don Blanding and friends. I learned
              some things I didn't know - but the State Department might complain about me
              using their system for personal emails. Thanks, Arlyne Nelson

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 12, 2001
                Hi, Arlyne,

                I think the easiest way to change your e-mail address is to use "Edit
                My Membership," which appears near the upper right corner of the
                screen. Select that option, scroll to the bottom of the resulting
                screen and you will see the "Add E-mail Address" link.

                You can select which address receives e-mail.

                You may also want to read "Account Information" and "My
                Preferences." Both links appear at or near the upper right corner of
                a screen. You can have alternate e-mail addresses if you wish, or
                just one.

                Hope this helps!