Welcome, new members

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 8, 2001
      Hi,

      Just want to take a moment to welcome about 8 Blanding fans who have
      joined our group in the past few weeks.

      Although the message board has been rather quiet, there's much to
      read and view within the group website.

      Everyone is welcome to contribute. So let's hear some stories about
      your DB connection!

      ~~Cadia
    • Nelson Black
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 8, 2001
        Cadia: Did you get my earlier question on the Virgin of Waikiki? You
        responded once but I was still curious. I thought a run of 2000 copies a
        bit large on a privately printed book and I noticed there was a regularly
        published version the same year. I have no interest in selling....I am just
        inventorying my books....

        Nelson

      • keith2draw@home.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 8, 2001
          Hi Nelson,

          What version of the 'Virgin of Waikiki' do you have? There were many
          versions, and I may be able to identify which one you have...can you
          describe it?

          The very first printing of 'Virgin Annie" was by the Wampas Club, a
          group of early Hollywood movie writers, in 1926 following Blanding's
          reading of the poem at one of their dinners. It is bound in tan
          cardboard covers with a pulp texture to them, with no illustrations.
          I imagine there were perhaps only a few hundred (if even that) as
          they were just printed for the members of the club.

          Then later in the same year the David Graham Fischer company of Los
          Angeles privately printed up a batch as well. This time the cover was
          on a thin olive-looking faux-leather stock, and it had a string and
          tassle holding it together. It also had no illustrations. I would
          guess this printing to be larger than the first, but probably still
          small.

          The next printing was two years later in Honolulu (1928) and this
          time it had illustrations and decorations by Blanding. It may have
          been printed by the Henry M. Snyder Company, because they had an
          advertisement on the inside back cover.

          In 1930 The Henry M. Snyder Company printed up a new version in a
          small hardback, and this one had illustrations by an unknown artist.
          It doesn't seem to be Blanding's...and there is no credit as to who
          did it. This is the infamous edition by "Don"...

          Three years later the Henry M. Snyder Co. republished the title, this
          time with wonderfully humorous illustrations by A. B. Butler, Jr.
          This is the most common version, which pops up quite frequently on
          ebay. The small decorations on some of the pages are by Blanding and
          were reproduced from the 1928 Honolulu version of the book.

          This same book was again republished in 1938, and quite possibly
          again in the forties.

          So Nelson, which one of these do you have?

          Keith Emmons
          http://www.don-blanding.com
        • allen@sawtelle.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 8, 2001
            I have the original one Uncle Don typed up somewhere if anyone gives a rip.
            Allen

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • keith2draw@home.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 8, 2001
              I'd love a copy of that Allen!!

              Keith
            • Nelson, Arlyne M
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 12, 2001
                Cadia: How would I go about changing my email address for this group. I
                now have email at home and would like to use that address which is -
                Arlyne@...

                I love getting all the emails about Don Blanding and friends. I learned
                some things I didn't know - but the State Department might complain about me
                using their system for personal emails. Thanks, Arlyne Nelson

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 12, 2001
                  Hi, Arlyne,

                  I think the easiest way to change your e-mail address is to use "Edit
                  My Membership," which appears near the upper right corner of the
                  screen. Select that option, scroll to the bottom of the resulting
                  screen and you will see the "Add E-mail Address" link.

                  You can select which address receives e-mail.

                  You may also want to read "Account Information" and "My
                  Preferences." Both links appear at or near the upper right corner of
                  a screen. You can have alternate e-mail addresses if you wish, or
                  just one.

                  Hope this helps!