Mr. Blanding's Builds His Dream House

  • keith2draw@home.com
    Message 1 of 12 , May 8, 2001
      Unfortunately, the movie with Cary Grant had nothing to do with Don
      Blanding.

      However, there is a remote connection which I find quite interesting.
      According to Allen Sawtelle (Ed's grandson), Blanding told Allen that
      when he heard of the title 'Mr. Blanding Builds His Dream House,' he
      was livid, as he felt it was an obvious reference to Vagabond's House.

      Allen tells me Don sued the motion picture company...and won! I don't
      know any other details...and it may not even be true (could be Don
      was pulling young Allen's leg)...but if it is true, it'd make an
      interesting chapter in the ol' Blanding Bio.

      I suppose the court records could be looked up in L.A., if they do
      exist.

      Keith
    • JoAnna Blanding-Koskinen
      Message 2 of 12 , May 8, 2001
        Hi,

        I'm not sure if you guys are aware of this, but the title you're
        referring to is not, "Mr. Blanding's Dream House." The correct title is,
        "Mr. Blandings Dream House."

        A very easy mistake to make.>;^)

        JoAnna Blanding-Koskinen

        > Unfortunately, the movie with Cary Grant had nothing to do with Don
        > Blanding.
        >
        > However, there is a remote connection which I find quite interesting.
        > According to Allen Sawtelle (Ed's grandson), Blanding told Allen that
        > when he heard of the title 'Mr. Blanding Builds His Dream House,' he
        > was livid, as he felt it was an obvious reference to Vagabond's House.
        >
        > Allen tells me Don sued the motion picture company...and won! I don't
        > know any other details...and it may not even be true (could be Don
        > was pulling young Allen's leg)...but if it is true, it'd make an
        > interesting chapter in the ol' Blanding Bio.
        >
        > I suppose the court records could be looked up in L.A., if they do
        > exist.
        >
        > Keith

      • JoAnna Blanding-Koskinen
        Message 3 of 12 , May 8, 2001
          Oops,

          Mr. Blandings "Builds" His Dream House. Sorry.

          JBK

          Message 4 of 12 , May 8, 2001
            "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House," by Eric Hodgins, was
            published in September 1946 by Simon & Schuster. The book (and the
            later movie) began life as an article titled "Mr. Blandings Builds
            His Castle" in the April 1946 issue of Fortune magazine.
            Illustrations were by William Steig (whose cartoon style also graced
            some wonderful magazine ads).

            Eric Hodgins was an executive with Fortune and decided to go back to
            writing for awhile.

            Hodgins' work has absolutely nothing to do with Don Blanding, but the
            names and the book/movie title always confuse people. I, too, have
            often wondered if DB and Dodd, Mead raised any objections to the
            similarities. If anyone wants to pursue the idea ... start digging!

            ~~Cadia
          • JoAnna Blanding-Koskinen
            Message 5 of 12 , May 8, 2001
              That's right, Cadia! I remember being told that years ago(Mr. Blandings
              Builds His Castle). I actually prefer this title as the other one tends to
              tie up the tongue a bit. The name "Blandings" is kinda hard to get used to
              as well, but I'll take that over Tom Hanks, "The Money Pit" Anytime!!!!>;^)

              JoAnna Blanding-Koskinen

              > "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House," by Eric Hodgins, was
              > published in September 1946 by Simon & Schuster. The book (and the
              > later movie) began life as an article titled "Mr. Blandings Builds
              > His Castle" in the April 1946 issue of Fortune magazine.
              > Illustrations were by William Steig (whose cartoon style also graced
              > some wonderful magazine ads).
              >
              > Eric Hodgins was an executive with Fortune and decided to go back to
              > writing for awhile.
              >
              > Hodgins' work has absolutely nothing to do with Don Blanding, but the
              > names and the book/movie title always confuse people. I, too, have
              > often wondered if DB and Dodd, Mead raised any objections to the
              > similarities. If anyone wants to pursue the idea ... start digging!
              >
              > ~~Cadia

            • Michael Brookman
              Message 6 of 12 , May 9, 2001
                Cadia, Thanks so much for the info. Glad I asked the question. I've been
                wondering for years but didn't think to take it to the experts! Thanks for
                all you do, michael

                > "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House," by Eric Hodgins, was
                > published in September 1946 by Simon & Schuster. The book (and the
                > later movie) began life as an article titled "Mr. Blandings Builds
                > His Castle" in the April 1946 issue of Fortune magazine.
                > Illustrations were by William Steig (whose cartoon style also graced
                > some wonderful magazine ads).
                >
                > Eric Hodgins was an executive with Fortune and decided to go back to
                > writing for awhile.
                >
                > Hodgins' work has absolutely nothing to do with Don Blanding, but the
                > names and the book/movie title always confuse people. I, too, have
                > often wondered if DB and Dodd, Mead raised any objections to the
                > similarities. If anyone wants to pursue the idea ... start digging!
                >
                > ~~Cadia

              • Gerald Argetsinger
                Message 7 of 12 , May 9, 2001
                  Not to be picky, but the actual title is "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"

                  Jerry