Re: Dave Ballard's "Vagabond's House" recording?

    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2001
      Maybe HALF a dozen versions...one is the private recording, another
      is on one of Dave's four LP's and the others are from assorted
      Reflections programs between 1970 and 1973 (later broadcast on KBLE
      and other stations in 1978-81).

      I am not absolutely certain if the broadcast versions were different
      readings or just remixed. Even with different background music,
      it's possible to use a single reading to create several versions. (I
      was once an announcer-engineer, too, and spent many hours producing
      my own programs.)

      Actually, I have about 150 hours of Dave's Reflections programs on
      tape. Many are clearly duplicates, which is fortunate because a
      couple of tapedecks sort of ate a few cassette tapes! Some years ago
      I counted 36 out of 52 programs that included at least one Don
      Blanding poem. One January 1971 program is entirely Blanding.

      Dave was a great fan of Don Blanding. For Vagabond's House, Dave
      always substituted the name of his own dog, Robespierre, for Boreas.

      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2001
        Donnelle,

        I just got off the phone with Lucille Richardson from San Rafael. She was
        your mother Patty McCabe best friend in Inverness/Pt. Reyes Stations. She
        talked of their times together and your grandmother Evelyn Cravelli. However,
        she moved to Pt. Reyes Station in 1947 and knows nothing of Don Blanding.

        Lucille said your sister Dana might know more and if you could give me your
        Uncle Sidney Roberts phone number, I could learn more from him. Alex Cravelli
        told me that Sid recently had a stroke, but was doing O.K. He had even been
        to Pt. Reyes recently.

        Anyway, if you could patch me up with your sister Dana and Uncle Sid, I’ll
        see what they remember about DB.

        Mahalo,

        Bev.
        bevbach@...

      • Clueless in Seattle
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2001
          Cadia Los wrote:

          > Maybe HALF a dozen versions...one is the private recording, another
          > is on one of Dave's four LP's

          LP's?! You mean all these years I could have just gone to a record
          store and bought an LP of Dave reading "Vagabond's House?" Oohh! I
          could just kick myself. Well, there are still yard sales and thrift
          stores. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one.

          What label were they on?

          > I am not absolutely certain if the broadcast versions were different
          > readings or just remixed. Even with different background music,
          > it's possible to use a single reading to create several versions. (I
          > was once an announcer-engineer, too, and spent many hours producing
          > my own programs.)

          What station were you on? What kind of program. Maybe I used to listen
          to you too!

          > Actually, I have about 150 hours of Dave's Reflections programs on
          > tape. Many are clearly duplicates, which is fortunate because a
          > couple of tapedecks sort of ate a few cassette tapes! Some years ago
          > I counted 36 out of 52 programs that included at least one Don
          > Blanding poem. One January 1971 program is entirely Blanding.

          I'd be interested in trying to catalog how many different variations of
          "Vagabond's House" Dave Ballard recorded. Would you be up for that?
        • devans6360
          Message 4 of 11 , May 4, 2001
            That's great. Hope Lucille is doing great. My sisters, including Dayna
            really know nothing about Don Blanding. I was the only one who took an
            interest in my mothers friendship with him. His letters and books came to
            me before her death. My uncle Sid lives in Vacaville and I'll give him a
            call to ask about Don. I let you know soon. Take care. Donnelle
            I just got off the phone with Lucille Richardson from San Rafael. She was
            your mother Patty McCabe best friend in Inverness/Pt. Reyes Stations. She
            talked of their times together and your grandmother Evelyn Cravelli.
            However,
            she moved to Pt. Reyes Station in 1947 and knows nothing of Don Blanding.

            Lucille said your sister Dana might know more and if you could give me
            your
            Uncle Sidney Roberts phone number, I could learn more from him. Alex
            Cravelli
            told me that Sid recently had a stroke, but was doing O.K. He had even been
            to Pt. Reyes recently.

            Anyway, if you could patch me up with your sister Dana and Uncle Sid, I'll
            see what they remember about DB.

            Mahalo,

            Bev.
            bevbach@...

            NetZero Platinum
            No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
            Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!
            http://www.netzero.net
            Message 5 of 11 , May 4, 2001
              Donnelle:

              tj lives in Vacaville with your Uncle Sid....put him in touch with me or give
              me his phone number and I'll follow up with him...always amazing all the
              lines that are crossed....tj