Re: [aloha-donblanding] Dave Ballard's "Vagabond's House" recording?

  • Michael Brookman
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2001
      Great story! Wish I could help, but I'm sure someone out there on the site
      will, Will. Good luck, michael

      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2001
        Maybe HALF a dozen versions...one is the private recording, another
        is on one of Dave's four LP's and the others are from assorted
        Reflections programs between 1970 and 1973 (later broadcast on KBLE
        and other stations in 1978-81).

        I am not absolutely certain if the broadcast versions were different
        readings or just remixed. Even with different background music,
        it's possible to use a single reading to create several versions. (I
        was once an announcer-engineer, too, and spent many hours producing
        my own programs.)

        Actually, I have about 150 hours of Dave's Reflections programs on
        tape. Many are clearly duplicates, which is fortunate because a
        couple of tapedecks sort of ate a few cassette tapes! Some years ago
        I counted 36 out of 52 programs that included at least one Don
        Blanding poem. One January 1971 program is entirely Blanding.

        Dave was a great fan of Don Blanding. For Vagabond's House, Dave
        always substituted the name of his own dog, Robespierre, for Boreas.

        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2001
          Donnelle,

          I just got off the phone with Lucille Richardson from San Rafael. She was
          your mother Patty McCabe best friend in Inverness/Pt. Reyes Stations. She
          talked of their times together and your grandmother Evelyn Cravelli. However,
          she moved to Pt. Reyes Station in 1947 and knows nothing of Don Blanding.

          Lucille said your sister Dana might know more and if you could give me your
          Uncle Sidney Roberts phone number, I could learn more from him. Alex Cravelli
          told me that Sid recently had a stroke, but was doing O.K. He had even been
          to Pt. Reyes recently.

          Anyway, if you could patch me up with your sister Dana and Uncle Sid, I’ll
          see what they remember about DB.

          Mahalo,

          Bev.
          bevbach@...

        • Clueless in Seattle
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2001
            Cadia Los wrote:

            > Maybe HALF a dozen versions...one is the private recording, another
            > is on one of Dave's four LP's

            LP's?! You mean all these years I could have just gone to a record
            store and bought an LP of Dave reading "Vagabond's House?" Oohh! I
            could just kick myself. Well, there are still yard sales and thrift
            stores. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one.

            What label were they on?

            > I am not absolutely certain if the broadcast versions were different
            > readings or just remixed. Even with different background music,
            > it's possible to use a single reading to create several versions. (I
            > was once an announcer-engineer, too, and spent many hours producing
            > my own programs.)

            What station were you on? What kind of program. Maybe I used to listen
            to you too!

            > Actually, I have about 150 hours of Dave's Reflections programs on
            > tape. Many are clearly duplicates, which is fortunate because a
            > couple of tapedecks sort of ate a few cassette tapes! Some years ago
            > I counted 36 out of 52 programs that included at least one Don
            > Blanding poem. One January 1971 program is entirely Blanding.

            I'd be interested in trying to catalog how many different variations of
            "Vagabond's House" Dave Ballard recorded. Would you be up for that?
          • devans6360
            Message 5 of 11 , May 4, 2001
              That's great. Hope Lucille is doing great. My sisters, including Dayna
              really know nothing about Don Blanding. I was the only one who took an
              interest in my mothers friendship with him. His letters and books came to
              me before her death. My uncle Sid lives in Vacaville and I'll give him a
              call to ask about Don. I let you know soon. Take care. Donnelle
              I just got off the phone with Lucille Richardson from San Rafael. She was
              your mother Patty McCabe best friend in Inverness/Pt. Reyes Stations. She
              talked of their times together and your grandmother Evelyn Cravelli.
              However,
              she moved to Pt. Reyes Station in 1947 and knows nothing of Don Blanding.

              Lucille said your sister Dana might know more and if you could give me
              your
              Uncle Sidney Roberts phone number, I could learn more from him. Alex
              Cravelli
              told me that Sid recently had a stroke, but was doing O.K. He had even been
              to Pt. Reyes recently.

              Anyway, if you could patch me up with your sister Dana and Uncle Sid, I'll
              see what they remember about DB.

              Mahalo,

              Bev.
              bevbach@...

              NetZero Platinum
              No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
              Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!
              http://www.netzero.net
              Message 6 of 11 , May 4, 2001
                Donnelle:

                tj lives in Vacaville with your Uncle Sid....put him in touch with me or give
                me his phone number and I'll follow up with him...always amazing all the
                lines that are crossed....tj