Re: Dave Ballard's "Vagabond's House" recording?

    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2001
      Hello, Clueless...

      Welcome!

      As most of this group knows, I live in Seattle and Dave B. was a
      close friend for many years. Today, May 1, would have been his 82nd
      birthday.

      Yes, Reflections aired Sunday evenings at 10 (on KIXI); not sure what
      hour before 1961. Dave may have recorded his program in Hawaii from
      time to time, but most of his work was here in Seattle. As chief
      announcer at KIXI, he did a daily afternoon shift and produced
      Reflections from their studios. For some years, he also had a state-
      of-the-art recording studio at home that he used primarily for
      freelance voiceovers.

      I have maybe half a dozen different recordings of Dave's recitation
      of Vagabond's House, including one that he recorded privately for me
      in 1965 (along with The Cruise of the Spun-Glass Ship). The master
      is on open reel, so I'm going to have to carve out time to have it
      copied onto cassette. I don't have the necessary equipment.

      This has been a "to do" project for some time. I'll try to locate
      the reel and a duplicating service soon.

      ~~Cadia
    • devans6360
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2001
        Cadia, Wasn't Don born on November 7th? That's what my documentation
        says???? Donnelle
        > As most of this group knows, I live in Seattle and Dave B. was a
        > close friend for many years. Today, May 1, would have been his 82nd
        > birthday.
        >
        > Yes, Reflections aired Sunday evenings at 10 (on KIXI); not sure what
        > hour before 1961. Dave may have recorded his program in Hawaii from
        > time to time, but most of his work was here in Seattle. As chief
        > announcer at KIXI, he did a daily afternoon shift and produced
        > Reflections from their studios. For some years, he also had a state-
        > of-the-art recording studio at home that he used primarily for
        > freelance voiceovers.
        >
        > I have maybe half a dozen different recordings of Dave's recitation
        > of Vagabond's House, including one that he recorded privately for me
        > in 1965 (along with The Cruise of the Spun-Glass Ship). The master
        > is on open reel, so I'm going to have to carve out time to have it
        > copied onto cassette. I don't have the necessary equipment.
        >
        > This has been a "to do" project for some time. I'll try to locate
        > the reel and a duplicating service soon.
        >
        > ~~Cadia

        NetZero Platinum
        No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
        Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!
        http://www.netzero.net
      • devans6360
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2001
          Sorry Cadia, I thought you were speaking of Don for a moment... To much sun
          out here in Arizona... Donnelle
          > As most of this group knows, I live in Seattle and Dave B. was a
          > close friend for many years. Today, May 1, would have been his 82nd
          > birthday.
          >
          > Yes, Reflections aired Sunday evenings at 10 (on KIXI); not sure what
          > hour before 1961. Dave may have recorded his program in Hawaii from
          > time to time, but most of his work was here in Seattle. As chief
          > announcer at KIXI, he did a daily afternoon shift and produced
          > Reflections from their studios. For some years, he also had a state-
          > of-the-art recording studio at home that he used primarily for
          > freelance voiceovers.
          >
          > I have maybe half a dozen different recordings of Dave's recitation
          > of Vagabond's House, including one that he recorded privately for me
          > in 1965 (along with The Cruise of the Spun-Glass Ship). The master
          > is on open reel, so I'm going to have to carve out time to have it
          > copied onto cassette. I don't have the necessary equipment.
          >
          > This has been a "to do" project for some time. I'll try to locate
          > the reel and a duplicating service soon.
          >
          > ~~Cadia

          NetZero Platinum
          No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
          Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!
          http://www.netzero.net
        • Michael Brookman
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2001
            Great story! Wish I could help, but I'm sure someone out there on the site
            will, Will. Good luck, michael

            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2001
              Cadia Los wrote:

              > I have maybe half a dozen different recordings of Dave's recitation
              > of Vagabond's House, including one that he recorded privately for me
              > in 1965 (along with The Cruise of the Spun-Glass Ship). The master
              > is on open reel, so I'm going to have to carve out time to have it
              > copied onto cassette. I don't have the necessary equipment.
              >
              > This has been a "to do" project for some time. I'll try to locate
              > the reel and a duplicating service soon.

              What a wonderful surprise! After all these years! This internet is
              really a miracle machine, I swear!

              A dozen (!) different recordings of "Vagabond's House?"

              I can't help wondering what the differences between them are?

              Are any of them recordings from his "Reflections" program?

              Is the background music different from recording to recording?

              I guess I'd better slow down. But you can imagine how excited I am to
              find something I've been looking for for over 40 years.

              Many thanks for replying. I can't wait to hear the tapes!

              Will (a.k.a "Clueless") in Seattle
              Message 6 of 11 , May 2, 2001
                Maybe HALF a dozen versions...one is the private recording, another
                is on one of Dave's four LP's and the others are from assorted
                Reflections programs between 1970 and 1973 (later broadcast on KBLE
                and other stations in 1978-81).

                I am not absolutely certain if the broadcast versions were different
                readings or just remixed. Even with different background music,
                it's possible to use a single reading to create several versions. (I
                was once an announcer-engineer, too, and spent many hours producing
                my own programs.)

                Actually, I have about 150 hours of Dave's Reflections programs on
                tape. Many are clearly duplicates, which is fortunate because a
                couple of tapedecks sort of ate a few cassette tapes! Some years ago
                I counted 36 out of 52 programs that included at least one Don
                Blanding poem. One January 1971 program is entirely Blanding.

                Dave was a great fan of Don Blanding. For Vagabond's House, Dave
                always substituted the name of his own dog, Robespierre, for Boreas.

                Message 7 of 11 , May 3, 2001
                  Donnelle,

                  I just got off the phone with Lucille Richardson from San Rafael. She was
                  your mother Patty McCabe best friend in Inverness/Pt. Reyes Stations. She
                  talked of their times together and your grandmother Evelyn Cravelli. However,
                  she moved to Pt. Reyes Station in 1947 and knows nothing of Don Blanding.

                  Lucille said your sister Dana might know more and if you could give me your
                  Uncle Sidney Roberts phone number, I could learn more from him. Alex Cravelli
                  told me that Sid recently had a stroke, but was doing O.K. He had even been
                  to Pt. Reyes recently.

                  Anyway, if you could patch me up with your sister Dana and Uncle Sid, I’ll
                  see what they remember about DB.

                  Mahalo,

                  Bev.
                  bevbach@...

                • Clueless in Seattle
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 3, 2001
                    Cadia Los wrote:

                    > Maybe HALF a dozen versions...one is the private recording, another
                    > is on one of Dave's four LP's

                    LP's?! You mean all these years I could have just gone to a record
                    store and bought an LP of Dave reading "Vagabond's House?" Oohh! I
                    could just kick myself. Well, there are still yard sales and thrift
                    stores. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one.

                    What label were they on?

                    > I am not absolutely certain if the broadcast versions were different
                    > readings or just remixed. Even with different background music,
                    > it's possible to use a single reading to create several versions. (I
                    > was once an announcer-engineer, too, and spent many hours producing
                    > my own programs.)

                    What station were you on? What kind of program. Maybe I used to listen
                    to you too!

                    > Actually, I have about 150 hours of Dave's Reflections programs on
                    > tape. Many are clearly duplicates, which is fortunate because a
                    > couple of tapedecks sort of ate a few cassette tapes! Some years ago
                    > I counted 36 out of 52 programs that included at least one Don
                    > Blanding poem. One January 1971 program is entirely Blanding.

                    I'd be interested in trying to catalog how many different variations of
                    "Vagabond's House" Dave Ballard recorded. Would you be up for that?
                  • devans6360
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 4, 2001
                      That's great. Hope Lucille is doing great. My sisters, including Dayna
                      really know nothing about Don Blanding. I was the only one who took an
                      interest in my mothers friendship with him. His letters and books came to
                      me before her death. My uncle Sid lives in Vacaville and I'll give him a
                      call to ask about Don. I let you know soon. Take care. Donnelle

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 4, 2001
                        Donnelle:

                        tj lives in Vacaville with your Uncle Sid....put him in touch with me or give
                        me his phone number and I'll follow up with him...always amazing all the
                        lines that are crossed....tj