Hula Moons Restaurant

  • Michael Brookman
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7 10:44 AM
      Just a quick comment on the discussion and a few notes. A friend of mine knew I collected DB and saw an article in Aloha magazine, August 1994. Page 20 has a nice review, with pictures of the restaurant. A photo of Bill Boyd, reading Hula Moons, is featured.

      2nd. Thanks, Keith for the CD. Well worth the money. I was very impressed with the quality of the recording and editing. I'll be purchasing another for my Dad's birthday in July. I'll be mailing you hard copies of the obits for O'Brien soon. Got caught up in work, school and taxes.

      3rd. It's probably been mentioned, but I didn't know that pop artist Jimmy Buffett did an album titled Floridays. He read and was impressed with DB's work and did two songs on the album related to his poetry. Not really earthshaking work, but nice to have. Especially if you're a fan of both artists.

      Aloha! michael

    • keith2draw@home.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7 2:57 PM
        Michael,

        I have a copy of that Aloha Magazine article...a nice piece.

        Thanks for the compliments on the CD...no editing was necessary...it
        is straight from the album. A colleague of mine at the college I work
        for transferred it to a CD for $10, and I went out and purchased a CD
        burner to reproduce copies from the master. The cover design is also
        straight from the album...I did shamelessly add a plug for my website
        on the front and back too! :o)

        I have been in contact with Jimmy Buffet's publishers (The Peninsula
        Press), and they have visited my website...they gave me five stars!
        The editor of Jimmy's books is very interested in Blanding, as they
        published a modern version of the book Floridays. They have
        supposedly passed on the website to Jimmy himself, but as far as I
        know he hasn't visited yet. They were nice enough to send me a
        complimentary copy of their version of Floridays and I must say it's
        superior in quality to any Blanding publication I've ever seen
        before...beautiful!

        The album Floridays (and the cassette and CD) has a snippet of
        Blanding's poetry...and Buffet's book 'A Pirate Looks at Fifty' has
        the poem 'A Double Life' as an ending to the book.

        There is definately a large audience out there of Parrotheads who may
        be converted to Blandingheads if we tap into them. I've been told
        that the editors of 'The Coconut Telegram' (Buffet's Fan Rag) are
        interested in a story on Blanding, and I'm currently working on that.

        ~~Keith
        www.don-blanding.com