I Died at Dawn

  • John A. Swearingen
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6 9:55 AM
      Awhile back there was some interest expressed in addressing Blandings poetry
      per se.

      One of my personal favorites has always been, "I Died at Dawn" which I have
      in my copy of "Joy Is an Inside Job". Of course, I assume Blanding was
      moved to write this because of a personal epiphany. Has anyone ever
      pinpointed the precise voyage during which this occurred, and the reason
      for the voyage?

      Will anyone share with us what poets Blanding himself favored? It would be
      interesting to learn who influenced him. It may well have been someone not
      famous, but rather a member of his immediate family or an ancestor. Facility
      with language is often inherited through generational skips.

      Additionally, has anyone ever made a study of how many different styles of
      poetry Blanding wrote? Although individual poets usually have favorite
      styles in which their most famous works were executed, it is not unusual to
      find that they experimented with other styles somewhere along the line. Is
      there any evidence Blanding did this?
    • TikiRoom18@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6 10:01 AM
        In a message dated 4/6/01 12:48:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jas@...
        writes:

        << Additionally, has anyone ever made a study of how many different styles of
        poetry Blanding wrote? Although individual poets usually have favorite
        styles in which their most famous works were executed, it is not unusual to
        find that they experimented with other styles somewhere along the line. Is
        there any evidence Blanding did this? >>

        Blanding wrote mostly in strict rhyming and meter style. But on occasion
        he did write in free verse, verses that arent rhyming. Sometimes he would
        just write a beautiful sentence and leave it at that, perhaps along with an
        illustration. It seems as his reputation as a poet grew, he tried other forms
        of poetry and writing. His early stuff is, predictibly, safely rhyme poems,
        easily diagrammed with precise rhyme and meter. His later stuff got more
        complex, in "Joy Is An Inside Job" he seems to be experimenting with poem and
        even book layout and even has his readers turning back and forth to the front
        of the book and then to the back, sometimes having a piece part poem and part
        prose.
        Hard to picture what the future would have held for Don's writing style,
        definately further experimentation....

        Aloha
        larry