[aloha-donblanding] Movies on Turner Classic Movies this Friday Night!

  • TikiRoom18@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1 5:26 AM
      Hello All....

      This is a little off topic, but maybe not... on Turner Classic Movies this
      Friday night they are showing a mini-marathon of Charlie Chan movies. I
      always kind of considered Chan to be a roundabout Blanding-ish topic because
      Chan was based in Honolulu in the 30s and 40s and the look of Chan's movies
      always put me in mind of Blanding's Eastern illustrations and poetry.
      Also, does anyone else find that Don's illustrations of women back in the
      30s and 40s remind you a lot of movies back then?
      Maybe my "Chan-mania" has overtaken me and blinded my eyes into thinking
      that it might be an appropriate topic for our group, but I just thought I'd
      share...
      I find that by watching these movies from this time period, I get more of
      an understanding of the times and look at the way that "political
      correctness" was handled (or not handled). I mean... this was a time when a
      black actor actually went by the credited stage name of "Sleep n' Eat"
      (ouch!!!). Well, in these 4 movies, we see Mantan Moreland in action...
      Here's the schedule if anyone is interested: The movie titles alone sound
      like Blanding poem names, don't they??

      Coming THIS Friday Feb 4th.... Turner Classic Movies.... Eastern Time...

      4 FRIDAY 8:00 PM ��The Chinese Cat (1944) Charlie Chan investigates a
      string of murders involving a mysterious statue. Sidney Toler, Mantan
      Moreland, Benson Fong. D: Phil Rosen. BW 65m.

      9:30 PM ��The Jade Mask (1945) Before Charlie Chan can catch a pair of
      murderers he has to prove their victims are really dead. Sidney Toler,
      Mantan Moreland, Hardie Albright. D: Phil Rosen. BW 67m.

      11:00 PM ��The Scarlet Clue (1945) Charlie Chan tracks down a spy ring
      that has stolen plans for a new radar system. Sidney Toler, Mantan
      Moreland, Benson Fong. D: Phil Rosen. BW 65m.

      12:30 AM ��The Shanghai Cobra (1945) Charlie Chan investigates a series
      of deaths by snake bite. Sidney Toler, Benson Fong, Mantan Moreland. D:
      Phil Karlson. BW 65m.

      Good writeup too at this URL:
      http://tcm.turner.com/MONTH_SPOTS/00/02/chan.htm

      Just thought I'd share....