Frederick O'Brien

  • keith2draw@home.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2001
      Michael,

      I found my reference to O'Brien...it was indeed in the Milred Maureen
      Maloney thesis (1937).

      "Frederick J. O'Brien, whose 'White Shadows in the South Seas' placed
      him in the front rank of travel writers, came across a copy (of
      Vagabond's House) and wrote Blanding, 'Yours are the first authentic
      poems I've seen of the tropics. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed
      your book. It stirred many memories of my life in Hawaii at the
      beginning of the century and since'."

      So they had at least exchanged letters...no indication as to whether
      they ever met.

      Keith
      www.don-blanding.com
    • Michael Brookman
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 28, 2001
        Thanks so much. Now, I've got to figure out why O'Brien was so important to
        my late uncle! michael

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 21, 2003
          I have a tidbit for you all. Charmian London was a friend of Freddie and
          had Armine von Tempsky look him up when she lived in Tahiti in 1928. Armine
          visited his home for dinner on a few occasions. They continued to correspond
          through 1930. I have found no more mention of him after that, but have many
          more diaries to read. Don Blanding is mentioned starting in Jan. 1935 thru
          1939.
          He seemed to come into the group after Freddie died.