[aloha-donblanding] Re: Magic Carpet

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1 12:36 AM
      I have a notecard with the same illustration. DB used them to
      announce publication of new books. However, sometimes the "handwritten" note is actually
      a printd message, not individually handwritten.

      The draft of the poem appears to be real; one would need to compare handwriting
      samples to be sure. Before the easy availability photocopiers, it was a common
      practice to "copy out" recipes, poems, etc., from various sources. I used to do
      it all the time, and in going through my mother's papers, I found all kinds of
      handwritten material -- in her hand, but not composed by her.

      If you can authenticate an actual draft of the poem, that would be a real find,
      indeed!

      ~~Cadia
    • Keith Emmons
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1 4:11 PM
        > Before the easy availability photocopiers, it was a common
        > practice to "copy out" recipes, poems, etc., from various sources.

        I'm not sure, but I get the feeling this one is authentic. The photo
        shows lines crossed out and various editing notations. This would not
        have been done with someone simply copying a poem. Also, I think it was
        mentioned that it was written on the back of a phone pad. I can just
        picture Don Blanding sitting in a hotel room somewhere jotting down an
        inspiration on the most readily available scrap of paper... a phone
        pad. As far as I know, this poem did not appear before 'Vagabond's
        House', which would date it around 1928. He would have still been in
        Hawaii, or in his Hollywood Vagabond House.

        Maybe we should all pool our money together and buy it? Start a Don
        Blanding museum with some of TJ's stuff as well.

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1 5:53 PM
          I've been emailing the owner of the handwritten poem by DB. I have come to
          my own conclusion that it is authentic. Why it is stuffed into some book
          might be a mystery. I will probably bid on it, but haven't made that
          decision yet....