Gertrude M. Sullivan

  • Michael Brookman
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 26, 2001
      OK. I read the email from Keith about non-participation. So, here's a poser. I bought a first edition of The Virgin of Waikiki in Northern California that is inscribed "This book belongs to Gertrude Sullivan, Dunsmuir, CA" I then bought a Butler illustrated edition, copyright 1933 in Santa Barbara that is inscribed "Gertrude M. Sullivan, Honolulu 1929." The writing is similar, but one is in cursive and the other block print, so I'm not sure it's the same person. Here's the mystery: 1) Who is Gertrude Sullivan, and 2) Is she connected to Blanding through Dunsmuir? I remember mention of him in Inverness or somewhere similar before the war. Dunsmuir and Inverness are very close and there's a chance there's a connection. Any ideas? Avenues to pursue? When this is exhausted, I've got another interesting possible bay area connection with a travel writer of the 30's I'd like to pass around. Thanks for the help, michael

    • Tom Harrington
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 27, 2001
        How odd. I also have seen the name "Gertrude Sullivan" inscribed in one of
        my books. Dunsmuir, CA is about 45 miles north of me (Redding area) and
        about 45 miles from the CA/Oregon border. So it is a ways from Inverness.
        If there is any sleuthing to be done in Dunsmuir, I will be happy to look
        into it.

        Gayle

      • keith2draw@home.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 27, 2001
          Michael, a few questions:

          Describe your early edition of 'The Virgin of Waikiki'...publishing
          info & date, page numbers, cover description.

          Also, I'm confused. You say that your 1933 version has an inscription
          from 1929...how is that possible?

          Are either of these editions actually signed by Blanding?

          And lastly, what is the travel writer connection you hinted at?

          Keith
        • keith2draw@home.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 27, 2001
            Hi Gayle,

            What can you tell us about your Gertrude M. Sullivan edition?
            It seems we have a mystery afoot!

            Keith
          • Michael Brookman
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 27, 2001
              My early edition has a blue paper cover with a silouhette of an island in
              the sun across the water. There's a palm in the foreground with a woman
              holding her arms in the air. The only publishing info states "Privately
              printed Honolulu 1928", "Copyright, 1928 by Don Blanding" and "Printed in
              the USA." There are 15 pages and each has a small print of a scenic view on
              the bottom in red.

              I, too, noted the date discrepancy on the 1933 version. A possible
              explanation is that the book was purchased years later to replace or
              compliment the original and the date was a personal reminder to the owner.
              Just a guess, a few others pop to mind pretty quickly.

              Neither of the books were signed by Blanding.

              The travel writer is Frederick O'Brien. He was popular in the 20's. His
              books included "White Shadows in the South Seas" and "Mystic Isles of the
              South Seas." He died in Sausalito, 01/09/32 at age 62 and his ashes were
              strewn at sea "to drift perhaps, into those white shadows of the south seas
              the author-wanderer loved most." One of my uncles died in San Francisco a
              few years ago and my father saw "Mystic Isles" amongst the books. What
              caught his eye was the art on the spine and then on the cover. Very similar
              to Blanding, so Dad kept it and passed it on to me. My uncle had cut
              several obituary notices from the papers and put them into the book.
              O'Brien's life was quite varied.

              Any input, as always, will be greatly appreciated!

              Thanks, Keith for all the work.

              michael

              > Describe your early edition of 'The Virgin of Waikiki'...publishing
              > info & date, page numbers, cover description.
              >
              > Also, I'm confused. You say that your 1933 version has an inscription
              > from 1929...how is that possible?
              >
              > Are either of these editions actually signed by Blanding?
              >
              > And lastly, what is the travel writer connection you hinted at?
              >
              > Keith

            • Michael Brookman
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 27, 2001
                Aha! Well, we at least know she liked his work. Which book do you have with
                her name in it? Do you remember where you bought it? michael

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • keith2draw@home.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 27, 2001
                  Michael,

                  The 'Virgin of Waikiki' you described is a third edition (two
                  printings were done in 1926, both private).

                  I believe the 1928 Honolulu printing that you own may have been an
                  early Mark M. Snyder edition, as they have an ad on the back cover.
                  I also think Blanding drew the little illustrations which appear
                  throughout the book.

                  As for Frederick O'Brien, there is a connection to Blanding. I have
                  him in my Blanding Who's Who under authors, but I can't remember
                  where my reference came from...possibly from the Maloney thesis.

                  Frederick J. O'Brien (1869-1932)

                  Books:
                  White Shadows of the South Seas - 1919
                  Mystic Isles in the South Seas - 1921
                  Sky-pilots in the Paumotus - 1921
                  The Lure of the South Seas - 1922
                  Some Famous Vagabonds - 1922
                  The Men That Found the South Seas - 1922
                  Atolls of the Sun - 1922

                  His 'White Shadows of the South Seas' was made into a movie in 1927.

                  Could I get photocopies of those obituaries?

                  Keith
                • Michael Brookman
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 28, 2001
                    Great! Thanks for setting me straight on the edition number.

                    I'm not familiar with the Maloney Thesis. What is it and where can I access
                    it?

                    I'd be glad to send you copies of the obits. Would you like them digitally?

                    Thanks again, michael

                  • keith2draw@home.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 28, 2001
                      Michael,

                      Digitally would be fine...as long as they are readable.

                      My email address is keith2draw @ home.com

                      The Maloney thesis was written in 1937 by a graduate student at the
                      University of Nebraska. She met, interviewed, and hung out with
                      Blanding in 1936, mainly while he was staying in Taos.

                      It's a goldmine of biographical information, and some insight into
                      his poetry too.

                      When you email me the obits, include your mailing address, and I'll
                      send you a copy. Will have to charge you a few dollars for the copies
                      & postage.