Trem Carr

  • keith2draw@home.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 25, 2001
      I have a first edition of 'The Virgin of Waikiki,' which is the
      actual booklet that was printed after the famed Wampus Club dinner,
      when Blanding first read about Virgin Annie.

      There is a name written in the front of the book, which I assume to
      be the former owner of the book, and most likely a member of the
      Wampus Club, as this edition was only given to members.

      I had never taken much notice of the name, as I didn't recognize it,
      but I punched it into a search engine this morning out of curiosity
      (and boredom), and it turns out the name (Trem Carr) belonged to a
      pioneer Hollywood producer, famous for starting several movie studios
      back in the 20s. The Wampus Club dinner was in 1926, and Carr's first
      movie was in 1927...so this book came out just before he made it big.

      Cool, huh?

      I'm trying to find out what the Wampus Club actually was, and have
      sent an email to the Los Angeles Public Library in hopes they have
      some record of it.

      Also, according to a 1926 Los Angeles directory, Blanding was living
      at the Christie Hotel in 1926. He must have shuttled back and forth
      between LA and Honolulu for several years there.

      -=- Keith -=-
    • Gerald Argetsinger
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 26, 2001
        All your work is really paying off, Keith!

        Congratulations on another great piece of sleuthing.

        Jerry
      • keith2draw@home.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 26, 2001
          Jerry,

          Thanks. Are you and I the only ones left in this group? Has interest
          in Blanding died down, or is everyone just busy with other stuff. I
          hope interest isn't dwindling...I need an audience for my book!!!

          Cadia, what are we doing to get more members in the group. This is by
          far the slowest month since you began the group last year.

          I got my video of 'Song of the Islands' from the Bishop Museum
          today...I'm just itching to go home and watch it. Apparently I will
          need written permission to reproduce it, and pay a usage fee. I was
          thinking about taking a clip of Blanding speaking at the beginning of
          the film and convert it to an mpeg, so that folks can view it at my
          website.

          Keith
        • TikiRoom18@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 26, 2001
            I'm here...

            Any group has its slow months... I am in several and they ebb and flow like
            almost anything in life...

            Not everyone in the group is a potential Blanding biographer...maybe some
            non-Biography discussion would encourage others who simply enjoy DBs poems
            and writing to post stuff up without feeling like we need to always be in the
            minutae of DBs life...

            That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...
            Larry
          • keith2draw@home.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 26, 2001
              Larry,

              Good point. I'm open to participating in any discussions of
              Blanding's poetry and/or art.

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 26, 2001
                Keith,

                I've been away from my computer for several days...got back from
                Oregon at 2 a.m. and it took me til nearly 3:30 a.m. to deal with
                accumulated e-mail!

                My Hitometer stats for the Blanding part of my website keep going up,
                generally averaging 8-9 hits a day. Likewise, my e-mail, guestbook
                and other means of contact all reflect a continued and growing
                interest in Don Blanding.

                If any of you have websites (not necessarily DB related), a link from
                there to here, or to my website or Keith's, would be a good way to
                promote this group.

                The "Promote" section here also provides HTML for setting up a
                subscription box that you can place on your website. (Background
                color and other details can be modified.)

                I also have a business card for this group that I hand out
                liberally. I'm thinking of producing a flyer for distribution at
                shows, bookstores or any other place the Blanding fans congregate. A
                link to my Blanding page(s) appears on all my eBay auctions.

                Periodically, I use the "Invite" feature of this group to send out a
                message to potential members from my extensive mailing list. (I think
                it's available to any member ... am I wrong?)

                As for member participation, I'd like a show of hands as to who's
                monitoring the e-mail messages but perhaps not visiting the group
                website. In Files, there's a "Photos: Members" folder where you can
                post a photo of yourself and family, your pets, your collection
                (s) ... just keep the image size under 50 KB or so. The folder
                for "Reviews and Comments" is not just for published book reviews;
                it's the place to spotlight your favorite DB book, poem or piece of
                artwork and invite further discussion. (Does not have to be an
                uploaded webpage; you can create a text file and upload a photo.)
                Just let us know via a message that you've added photos or comments.

                And, by all means, promote this group among your friends and co-
                workers. I guarantee if you take along a DB book to read on the bus
                or over morning coffee, you will get noticed!

                ~~Cadia
              • keith2draw@home.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 26, 2001
                  Cadia,

                  Welcome back...hope you had a good trip.

                  Thank you for going into detail about your recruitment methods...
                  they sound comprehensive. I use some of them myself, such as the link
                  in my ebay sales. Your probably right, there IS a steady stream of
                  bodies coming through your two sites (and mine)...but I just wish
                  that we had some more interaction.

                  Larry makes a good point, in that not everyone is interested in all
                  the biographical details of Blanding's life...very true. No one in
                  my "real life" gives a damn about Blanding (except for my father),
                  and sometimes I just feel the need to share what I'm coming up with
                  in my research...even if it's partly self-gratifying. It's tough to
                  be so involved in such an obscure subject as Blanding. Just to know
                  that there are people out there who share our interest makes me want
                  to place an ad in the Honolulu and Los Angeles newspapers inviting
                  them here (I looked into it...too expensive!)

                  But perhaps we should shift the focus to discussions of Blanding's
                  poetry, his art, and his prose. That way folks who have an admiration
                  for his work can come by and feel like they can contribute too.

                  By-the-way...the 'Song of the Islands' tape is awesome! It's from
                  1934, and in fuzzy color. Blanding has about a 2-minute dialogue near
                  the beginning with a woman...leading into the story. The tale is a
                  bit hokey, and the acting worse...but it is amazing (and spooky) to
                  see Blanding in action...almost flesh and blood. He has another bit
                  in the end with the same woman.

                  Amazing!

                  ~~~ Keith
                • MauiBandB@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 26, 2001
                    NOt to worry we will all buy the book I guess.

                    aloha
                    Maui Tom