Re: [aloha-donblanding] Scotty Creager

  • Gerald Argetsinger
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 21 9:22 AM
      I'll do it! Fascinating find! You're really on a role!
      Jerry
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 26 6:24 PM
        Jerry,

        Later this evening I'll upload a photo that I think may be Scotty.
        It's a portrait in the photography studio album from Honolulu. TJ
        says he doesn't believe it is Scotty, but I'm not giving up on this
        image until you've seen it. Perhaps your mother could take a look at
        it, too. Best guess is that the portrait dates from about 1937-39.

        ~~Cadia
      • Gerald Argetsinger
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 27 5:51 AM
          OK I'll have a look. But remember Scotty died before my mother began
          dating my father. My dad was his roommate. I have the only photo of
          Scotty that my mother owned and I think Keith posted it on the Web. Of
          course it is possible that she saw many other pix of him, so it's still
          worth asking.

          Jerry
        • keith2draw@home.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 27 6:05 AM
            Jerry,

            You never gave me a copy of your photo.

            Keith

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 27 7:44 AM
              Hm-m-m-m who was it I sent a copy to? Cadia?

              I'll have to get out my file and look.

              Jerry
            • keith2draw@home.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 27 8:51 AM
                Jerry...might have been tj. He supposedly has some photos of Scotty,
                and he was looking for something to compare them to.
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 27 11:15 AM
                  Keith & Cadia,

                  Where have you posted Scotty’s photos?

                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 27 1:36 PM
                    Cadia,

                    Have to agree with Keith……one face is narrow and the other appears rounder.
                    TJ, did you ever make it to Scotty’s home town in Central California? They
                    may have a year book there someplace from his high school.

                    Bev.

                    Hard to say Cadia. The man in tj's photo seems to have a longer,
                    angular face...whereas your mystery man has a rotund face...pudgy.

                    If we could only get a larger version of tj's...and of course Jerry's
                    photo of Scotty!

                    Keith

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    www.newaydirect.com
                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=170603.1361494.2950176.2/D=egroupmail/S=1700020083:N/A=
                    613960/?http://www.newaydirect.com>

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 27 4:11 PM
                      Jerry, Keith, Bev, TJ ... all who love a mystery!

                      I've added the portrait of a young man I think may be Scotty Creager
                      to Files: Photos: Family & Friends.

                      This portrait is in the Honolulu photography studio's album that
                      contains two portraits of DB along with somebody's wedding and family
                      photos. Based on DB's appearance, I am guessing the date to be about
                      1937-1939; the age of this man also seems to be mid-30s, a good match
                      to Scotty. These three portraits are the only ones of men and all
                      are together at the back of the album. DB signed one portrait in
                      1950, alluding to the many years gone by.

                      Courtesy of TJ, I have seen a small, blurry image of DB and a younger
                      man that is supposed to be Scotty. Even from this image, the
                      likeness is quite close to the man in the portrait. The receding
                      hairline, wavy hair, approximate age and general physique all lend
                      credence to my theory. I will also add the small photo of DB and
                      Scotty to the Files -- see what you all think!

                      TJ has said he does not agree that the portrait could be Scotty. I
                      don't recall where TJ said he got the photo(s) that he e-mailed to
                      me. Jerry, was this yours? Or do you have a better one?

                      I guess I really, really want the portrait to be Scotty -- that would
                      make my day, my week, my whole year!

                      ~~Cadia
                    • keith2draw@home.com

                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 27 6:12 PM
                          Bev,

                          He may have went to high school elsewhere...possibly Los Angeles...or
                          Texas.

                          How was your trip to Arizona? Did you meet Kay Mallek?

                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 27 7:55 PM
                            regarding the photo of Scotty from Jerry...Jerry sent it to tj.....tj is
                            computer dumb at times and I tried to upload it but it didn't work...need to
                            get my computer tutor again..tj
                          • Gerald Argetsinger
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 28 6:26 AM
                              My turn to go crazy. Cadia, I can't find my way into the photo files at
                              all. I have the group bookmarked, but I've lost your site somehow.
                              Could you send me the URL again ... sorry.
                              It's times like these that I know I'm in the liberal arts instead of
                              technology!

                              Jerry
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 28 8:22 AM
                                Jerry and TJ,

                                To access more than the messages (which are public), you need to
                                register with Yahoo. Has nothing to do with subscribing to the
                                group, just a technicality because eGroups is now part of Yahoo. In
                                the upper left or right corner of the screen there's a "Welcome
                                eGroups members" logo. Click that, and follow the directions.

                                Old bookmarks may not work. The URL for the Files is:

                              • Tom Markle
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 18 5:35 PM
                                  I bought a Vagabond's House book at a little used book store for $3. In it, I
                                  discovered a letter hand written by Don to Mrs. Ethel Chaffee Haag of San
                                  Carlos, Ca., Evidently they had never personally met but had been pen pals
                                  of sorts.
                                  What is most interesting is that the letter was postmarked 12/23/40 from Ft.
                                  Pierce Florida. In the letter Don sadly relates that:

                                  "As relates Scotty Creager. I have sad news. He was my closest and dearest
                                  friend. A fine man, thoughtful, loyal and a grand companion. He died very
                                  suddently in Honolulu this last August, cerebral hemmorage, almost
                                  instantaneously. I miss him so much. He had married the year before. His
                                  wife had precededed him to the coast and he was leaving for the States in a
                                  week. It has been a great shock to all of us who loved him."

                                  He then writes about being the luckiest guy around having married Dorothy
                                  and having a ready made family who loves him and he loves them. He signs
                                  off with his usual Goofus bird signature but has 2 birds instead of one, facing
                                  each other, obviously it is he and Dorothy. The letter is written on the
                                  Talisman pamphlet (actually letter head) with the Talisman story inside.
                                  Quite a find for $3. I had wondered how Scotty had actually died and now I
                                  know from the horses mouth, so to speak. The book was also inscribed to
                                  Ethel Mignon Haag, a different middle name than what was on the letter itself.
                                  Just thought you'd like to know this piece of info if you didn't know it before..tj
                                • Karen Cotter
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 18 6:42 PM
                                    Wow! chicken skin! Whatta find!