RE: [aloha-donblanding] Dave Ballard

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 10 11:22 PM
      Thanks Cadia,

      Have always wondered what the face looked like that went with the wonderful
      voice over the radio in Seattle. Did he like to sail? Great portrait.

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 13 1:50 AM
        Bev,

        This one's especially for you. I finally located a photo and a
        sketch of Dave Ballard.

        I took the photo in August 1965 at the KIXI studios in Seattle as
        Dave recorded for me Vagabond's House and The Cruise of the Spun-
        Glass Ship.

        The sketch is from the LP, Reflections of a Square, produced about
        1966-67.

        Both are in Files: Photos: Family & Friends.

        I still need to find the 45 rpm records (I think at least one has a
        photo of Dave) and a copy of his 1982 obituary (which I know included
        a photo).

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 14 6:42 PM
          I believe AlohaSpirit has the 45's, but I don't remember the photo you
          mentioned....Alohaspirit co-produced the Carmel show with me, if you didn't
          remember...they are moving to Southern Ca. and are sort of off line right
          now...catch up with them later.....tj
        • suzieshawgo
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 7, 2006
            My father was Dave Ballard. I am currently capturing 60 plus hours of
            his radio Show Reflections, from his 10" reel to reel masters. He has
            many Don Blanding poems, some wonderful stories, and humorous anecdotes.
            My brother, sister and I are researching on how to market them, as
            there are many copyright laws that have to be addressed, (re: The Poem
            and Story authors and background music). I have made cds only for the
            family, and their sound is wonderful...
            If anyone knows a direction for me to find answers, would love to hear
            from you... Many Thanks
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 7, 2006
              Aloha,

              I have a tape that my Mom bought somewhere on Westlake of your Dad reading
              Don Blanding poems to organ music. I treasure it and would love to by more
              if you market them.

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 7, 2006
                Thank you for writing. I will keep your email... and contact you when we start releasing cds...

                I have a tape that my Mom bought somewhere on Westlake of your Dad reading

                Don Blanding poems to organ music. I treasure it and would love to by more

                if you market them.

                My father was Dave Ballard. I am currently capturing 60 plus hours of

                his radio Show Reflections, from his 10" reel to reel masters. He has

                many Don Blanding poems, some wonderful stories, and humorous anecdotes.

                My brother, sister and I are researching on how to market them, as

                there are many copyright laws that have to be addressed, (re: The Poem

                and Story authors and background music). I have made cds only for the

                family, and their sound is wonderful...

                If anyone knows a direction for me to find answers, would love to hear

                from you... Many Thanks

                <!--

                #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                #ygrp-text{
                font-family:Georgia;
                }
                #ygrp-text p{
                margin:0 0 1em 0;
                }
                #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                font-family:Arial;
                clear:both;
                }
                #ygrp-vitnav{
                padding-top:10px;
                font-family:Verdana;
                font-size:77%;
                margin:0;
                }
                #ygrp-vitnav a{
                padding:0 1px;
                }
                #ygrp-actbar{
                clear:both;
                margin:25px 0;
                white-space:nowrap;
                color:#666;
                text-align:right;
                }
                #ygrp-actbar .left{
                float:left;
                white-space:nowrap;
                }
                .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                #ygrp-grft{
                font-family:Verdana;
                font-size:77%;
                padding:15px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-ft{
                font-family:verdana;
                font-size:77%;
                border-top:1px solid #666;
                padding:5px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                padding-bottom:10px;
                }

                #ygrp-vital{
                background-color:#e0ecee;
                margin-bottom:20px;
                padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
                }
                #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                font-size:77%;
                font-family:Verdana;
                font-weight:bold;
                color:#333;
                text-transform:uppercase;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul{
                padding:0;
                margin:2px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li{
                list-style-type:none;
                clear:both;
                border:1px solid #e0ecee;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                font-weight:bold;
                color:#ff7900;
                float:right;
                width:2em;
                text-align:right;
                padding-right:.5em;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                font-weight:bold;
                }
                #ygrp-vital a {
                text-decoration:none;
                }

                #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                text-decoration:underline;
                }

                #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                color:#999;
                font-size:77%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                padding:6px 13px;
                background-color:#e0ecee;
                margin-bottom:20px;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                padding:0 0 0 8px;
                margin:0;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                list-style-type:square;
                padding:6px 0;
                font-size:77%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                text-decoration:none;
                font-size:130%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                background-color:#eee;
                margin-bottom:20px;
                padding:0 8px;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                padding:8px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                font-family:Arial;
                font-weight:bold;
                color:#628c2a;
                font-size:100%;
                line-height:122%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                text-decoration:none;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                text-decoration:underline;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                margin:0;
                }
                o {font-size:0;}
                .MsoNormal {
                margin:0 0 0 0;
                }
                #ygrp-text tt{
                font-size:120%;
                }
                blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                .replbq {margin:4;}
                -->

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 7, 2006
                  Susan, I am so pleased that you have joined our group, and to
                  hear of your project. I've often wondered if the master tapes
                  still existed.

                  Are you planning an all-Blanding disc? I know at least one
                  program from January 1971 contained only Blanding pieces.

                  Not long ago I purchased a fresh copy of Dave's first LP; the
                  original that he gave me in 1966 is so worn that I haven't been
                  able to play it in years. Such a joy to listen to it again!

                  Please let us all know when the CD's are available ... I'm sure
                  you'll have plenty of interest.

                  Sincerely,

                  ~~Cadia
                • suzie shawgo

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 9, 2006
                      In answer to Suzie's original question, I came across the following
                      bit of information today in connection with an eBay auction for a
                      rare Velvet Underground acetate.

                      "I'm a copyright attorney and the law is clear that the copyright in
                      a sound recording does not travel with the sound recording. It
                      resides either with the person's [sic] on the recording or the
                      recording engineers and their company, or both depending on various
                      facts including the contract, if any, between the engineer and the
                      band. The only thing that is certain is that it does not belong to a
                      purchaser of the master."

                      Now, this opinion involves original material. However, since Dave
                      Ballard's master tapes are inherited, I would guess that the
                      copyright issue might not be too complicated after all since CD's
                      would technically be a reissue of previously broadcast material.

                      Much of the spoken material is in public domain by now. Even if it
                      isn't, Dave would have obtained recording rights in some form, if
                      only limited to radio broadcast.

                      I don't know whether the 1960s LP recordings were taken directly
                      from the radio masters or were fresh recordings. I suspect the
                      latter, since I have compared a number of versions of "Vagabond's
                      House" and other pieces and have noted differences in inflection and
                      sometimes in background music.

                      I'm sure that few people remain who were involved in
                      presenting "Reflections" on KIXI (through 1971) or KBLE (late 1970s)
                      or even with Lew Lathrop's production facility.

                      A copyright attorney should be able to answer any questions about
                      reissuing the recordings as CD's.

                      Keith, you've produced CD's from Don Blanding's 1950s recording ...
                      any opinion here?

                      ~~Cadia
                    • Susan Shawgo
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 11, 2006
                        Thank you for the info. In the New Year, I will contact a patent
                        attorney and see what can be done. I know the Radio Shows, dealt
                        with the copy right issues, where each station paid a certain amount
                        for each show and that could apply to cds... thanks ever... will
                        keep you posted...

                        --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "Cadia Los" <duchess@...>