[aloha-donblanding] Re: Blanding

  • Keith Emmons
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 18, 2000
      > Has anyone spent time in the Honolulu newspaper archives,
      researching the
      > 2 years that Blanding spent in writing daily poems for Aji-no-moto? I
      would
      > suppose this would be an very interesting place to research. I know
      the
      > branch libraries in hawaii have all of this on microfilm but it would
      take a
      > LOT of time to go through, day-by-day .Blanding himself has written
      that some
      > of these poems were re-worked into his first 2 small books... I think
      it has
      > already been discovered that somone who makes a living at writing
      sends his
      > writing to whoever will pay sometimes, and it is difficult to try and
      track
      > these down... did Blanding keep any records? Whatever happened to
      his estate?

      Alas, I haven't the budget at the moment to fly to Hawaii, but I have
      on order through inter-library loan those two years on microfilm, which
      I should be getting soon. It will take time, but a necessary endeavor.
      There may be poems that never made it into any of his volumes of verse,
      and could then be considered "lost" material. It would be great to put
      together a booklet of these particular poems. I believe his estate was
      willed to the Bishop museum.

      Keith
    • MauiBandB@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 18, 2000
        I was told by Ron Jacobs a Honolulu Resident that his estate was left to the
        Friends of the Library of Hawai'i not the Bishop Museum. But in 1990 when we
        worked on the project the "Friends" didn't have a clue.
        Jacobs also collected all Blandings Columns (I don't know if they have
        Ajinomoto in them ha ha). He and I collaborated on a fortune cookie project
        for a Restaurant concept, using excerpts from Blandings columns and poems for
        fortunes. We dedicated to Blanding the restaurant called Hula Moons which is
        in its renaisance now at Outrigger Wailea Resort on Maui. The Restaurant has
        an extensive collection of Blanding Memorabilia, from prints, phonograph
        records, Aloha shirts, china and books.
        If you have any questions about Hula Moons Reataurant call Bill Boyd at 808
        879-1922.
        If you come to Maui stay at our Historic Bed and Breakfast Inn called the Old
        Wailuku Inn at Ulupono. The Inn built in 1924 has been renovated and retains
        the comfort and feel of that era with all the modern amenities. To capture
        the spirit of that era we themed the Inn around My Old Hawaiian Garden and
        use the verses from it and from his collaboration with TJ Mundorf to carry
        out the theme. Each room has authentic Hawaiian Quilt in the pattern of
        Blanding flower poem. The Mokihana room is sure to ...twine your heart...
        with memories while you live... and the Red hibiscus room .. with red ardent
        lips...The Landscape Architect used the poem in the Landscape concept. So
        the Yellow Allamanda grows in Gold Profusion on our walls, and Lonely gray
        palm tree creates shadows in the lily ponds... And everything grows together
        in unruly manner. There is a huge monkey pod tree with noisy mynah bird song
        in the morning. You can view our Inn at www.mauiinn.com. It will surely be
        any Blanding fans delight. We are featured on Travel Channel's Best Places
        to Kiss TV Maui in 2000 so watch for it.

        aloha
        Tom Fairbanks
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 18, 2000
          Keith & Tom

          My mom had a good friend name Joel Goldsmith who was a spiritual leader and
          prolific writer about his spiritual path called "The infinite Way." Joel
          accordingly to Mom was a good friend of Blanding and had significant
          influence on him. "Joy is an inside job" was written during the peak of this
          relationship. Just an aside maybe of help.

          aloha
          Tom
        • haven putnam
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 21, 2000
            Aloha Tom
            Do you have an e-mail address on Ron ?
            MAHALO Haven Putnam

          • MauiBandB@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 21, 2000
              I do not have an e mail address for Ron Jacobs but TJ Markle might he is in
              this group

              aloha
              Tom