Biography

  • Kermit Slobb
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 26, 2001
      Pehea oe - am attempting to get together on this Don Blanding Collector's
      Society but find it very confusing -
      Question - is there a Don Blanding autobiography, or, what is the best
      biography of Don Blanding?
      Mahalo -
      Kermit Slobb - w9bt@...
    • keith2draw@home.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 26, 2001
        From: keith2draw@h...
        Date: Mon Feb 26, 2001 5:46pm
        Subject: Re: Biography

        Hello Kermit...welcome to our group!

        Hey, everyone...we have a celebreity in our midst. Kermit Slobb was a
        studio engineer for the television networks and has worked with many
        of the early television greats. Kermit, I understand you worked with
        Don McNeill, who was a friend of Don Blanding's. Did you ever meet
        Blanding?

        I hope you don't mind me giving out your webpage:

        http://www.mcs.net/~richsam/nbcmm/slobb/floor.html

        To answer your question, I think a few of us have aspirations of
        writing a Blanding biography (myself included)...but as of yet, one
        has not been published.

        Keith Emmons
        http://www.don-blanding.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 26, 2001
          Hello, Kermit...

          I've sent you an invitation to join our group so you'll have access
          to the wealth of material about Don Blanding we've been
          accumulating. Collectively, we've probably written enough to fill
          four biographies . . . it's just a matter of ferreting out
          information and getting it organized. After nearly 40 years of
          collecting Blanding's work, I am still amazed that such a talented
          and popular "icon" of American culture has not been the subject of a
          book! Anything you'd like to share -- about Blanding, about radio,
          about a time when most of us were just kids -- will be most welcome.

          We try to keep the messages on subject (DB) but as a former announcer
          who also did my share of "riding gain," I know some insight into the
          earlier days of broadcast would be fun! Did you know Blanding?

          Your webpage stories had me laughing and crying at the same time --
          those WERE definitely the best years of radio!

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 26, 2001
            Keith: I did forget the check to you.....just been gone alot with all the
            family stuff...not up to speed with the messages and DB right now, etc...I'm
            writing the check now as I type....
            Keep up the good work........I do skim the messages but have lost some of
            interest and energy right now...I'll get back into it a little later........tj
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 27, 2001
              Welcome Kermit to the Group,

              Did you travel with The Breakfast Club? Never knew why it was in Lake City,
              outside of Seattle, Wash. Even my Mom couldn’t remember why.
              Anyway, can you answer our question about Emily Carey Alleman and Don
              Blanding…did they meet through Don McNeill. Emily was a poet and Don would
              read her things on his radio show. She wrote The Gypsy Heart.