[aloha-donblanding] Just a thought

  • Keith Emmons
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000
      A month ago tonight we brought in a new year/century. I was at a party
      with family and friends, and I couldn't help thinking about the
      following poem which appeared in 'Today is Here' over 54 years ago. Not
      one of his best, but very interesting:

      HIGH SCHOOL CLASS, 1946

      Youngsters, I envy you only one thing...
      (not the bright youth of you...transient as spring)
      But some...have you thought of it...some of you may
      Live through a span of years 'til that far day
      When the calendar marking this fabulous age
      Will turn in Time's fingers to show you a page
      That is blackened with horror or glowing with wonder,
      That is welcomed with trumpets or numbed with war's thunder....
      I wonder which ones of you, chosen by Fate
      Will live to enjoy or regret that far date....
      JANUARY 1, 2000
      What will you think of these years we have finished
      When Time and new living have shrunk and diminished
      The dates and the names which, because of their nearness,
      Are vastly inflated with terror or dearness?
      A millennium's start...as you stand on the brink of it.
      You may hear my ghost saying, "What do you think of it?"

      And sure enough, on New Year's eve, I could have sworn I heard his
      voice whispering just that question in my ear... or maybe it was just
      the champagne.

      Keith
    • TikiRoom18@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000
        Keith...

        I actually received a copy of this book for the first time about a week
        after "Y2K" day and it sent a shiver down my spine to read... like a time
        capsule letter to be opened on that date... anyway, one of my more
        interesting Blanding memories.. another is buying a copy of "Joy Is An Inside
        Job" and discovering that it was inscribed a mere week before Don's death...
        again.... shivers....

        Aloha
        Larry
      • Bill McMurray
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000
          I love it, Keith. It's a great find.
          Bill

          ----------

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000
            And tonight I was re-reading A Grand Time Living, pg 94,with DB's references
            to seeing the year AD 2000 come in.
          • TikiRoom18@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000

              << And tonight I was re-reading A Grand Time Living, pg 94,with DB's
              references
              to seeing the year AD 2000 come in. >>

              Tom....
              Thats one I don't have.. would you care to share a bit of it? Thanks...

              Aloha
              Larry
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000
                From a Grand Time Living pg 94. The poem "Hawaiian Panaroma" is too long to
                post here. There is a prelude to the poem however, as follows:

                of days before Pearl Harbor

                Youth has always yelled "Fuddy Duddy" at the Older Generation. I yelled it
                in my time and now wryly accept it, but I have lived long enough to know that
                it will be the grandchildren of Jeep-age Johnny and Synthetic Sally who will
                find that happiness, beauty and peace of heart can not be had by throwing a
                switch, pressing a button or dropping a nickel into the Juke-box. Let
                Us-Who-Remember preserve from this Gadget-Ridden Age some of the things from
                our time which we know have value, amberizing them in memory, story and
                picture in the archives so that when this Time of Transition...and an
                exciting time it is, at that...has passed and life has stabilized again (I
                expect to see the year 2000 A.D. come in) we may bring out some of our
                treasures for the joy of future youngsters, even if our treasures are called
                "antiques". (signed) DB

                He then launches into a 3 1/2 page poem with a Hawaiian theme of koa trees
                and other treasures.

                A very interesting commentary from DB, and here we are amberizing his works
                even further and relating to his books and artistry as "antiques" of our age.
                We are his grandchildren and must preserve his treasures.....
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 1, 2000
                  Larry and Keith...

                  You have seen the postcard from Calgary in my DB Photopoint album, haven't
                  you? At least we know he was there on May 8, 1957... shivers? Yes!

                  ~~C~~
                • TikiRoom18@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 1, 2000
                    Cadia....
                    yes I finally discovered how to access that.. I even added a few links...
                    The copy of "Joy..." that I have is dated May 27, 1957. It says.. "To Marion,
                    Aloha (with the goofus bird...), Happiest Wishes- Don Blanding May 27, 1957"
                    Besides that, I have no information, I assume he was probably back in CA by
                    then...
                    I will admit that this book is a departure for Don.... but enjoyable.. I
                    guess the vagabond, as he got older and slowed down took an inward journey....

                    Aloha
                    Larry
                  • Bill McMurray
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 1, 2000
                      Cadia,
                      Yes, I saw the post card and even printed the handwritten side. It's now a
                      bookmark in Songs Of The SevenSenses. My sister lived in Calgary for a
                      number of years and her daughter still lives there.
                      But what struck me was that it was written just a month before he died.
                      Shivers, and then some!
                      Bill