May Day Is Lei Day

    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 19, 2001
      I have read 5 rolls of microfilm from the Honolulu Star Bulletin of
      January-April 1928. Result is a bonanza of some 40 items related to
      the proposal for the first Lei Day. One more roll to go, but since
      it predates the article of February 13, 1928 in which Blanding
      announces his proposal, I do not expect to find much more.

      A nice little bonus was an small ad

      Flowers of the Rainbow
      by Don Blanding
      Ideal Steamer Gift

      that ran in the S-B a couple of times a week. I first spotted the ad
      in the January 7 edition.

      Tuesday I will finish reading this lot of microfilm and then will
      start transcribing a few articles a day. In late March and April
      1928, Blanding wrote about 3 articles a week on the subject of Lei
      Day; there were also editorials and letters to the editor in support
      of the proposal.

      More soon,

      ~~Cadia
    • MauiBandB@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 19, 2001
        Duchess

        Why don't you do a story for the Star Bulletin around the articles. they
        haven't done one on D Blanding in a few years. Maybe you can make some $ to
        offset your research.

        aloha
        TOm
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 21, 2001
          Anyone have a foot in the door at the Bishop Museum. They should have a
          copy of it.

          Bev.
          , February 24, 2001 12:02 PM
          To: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [aloha-donblanding] Re: May Day Is Lei Day

          The Star-Bulletin of April 30, 1928, carries a wonderful 2-column
          photo of Don Blanding, wearing leis, of course, in anticipation of
          the first Lei Day.

          The microfilm copy is not reproducible, so, please, everyone, be on
          the hunt for an actual copy of that S-B edition! I want that photo!!

          ~~Cadia

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          Classmates.com
          Click here for Classmates.com
          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=163100.1330039.2920210.2/D=egroupmail/S=1700020083:N/A=
          524804/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=2629>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 23, 2001
            I have started to transcribe Star-Bulletin articles from January -
            April 1928. Although I had not expected to find much on the
            microfilm covering January 20 - February 10, I was pleasantly
            surprised!

            Four of these items are in Files: Publications: Honolulu Star-
            Bulletin. For articles written by Blanding and others specifically
            about Lei Day, I'll create webpages and upload a few articles at a
            time. Promotional "fluff stuff" but fascinating to read how Lei Day
            came together from a simple suggestion.

            ~~Cadia
          • keith2draw@home.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 24, 2001
              Great Stuff Cadia!

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 24, 2001
                  Contact Desoto Brown at Bishop Museum
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 24, 2001
                    Thanks, Tom and Bev,

                    But would the Bishop Museum SELL an actual vintage newspaper?? Or do
                    you think they may have the original photo?

                    ~~Cadia
                  • MauiBandB@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 25, 2001
                      Dunno but you could get a copy made from them.

                      aloha
                      TOm
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 26, 2001
                        A few of DB's 1928 Star-Bulletin articles about Lei Day are now in
                        Files: Publications: S-B. More to come...

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 30, 2001
                          Aloha,

                          Tuesday, May 1, is the 74th Lei Day in Hawaii...coincidentally, this
                          year's calendar is the same as in 1928!

                          I've added four more 1928 articles by Don Blanding about the first
                          Lei Day. The series now extends from February 13 to March 28, 1928,
                          and is located in Publications: Honolulu Star-Bulletin:

                          I have transcribed most of the April 1928 articles and will try to
                          upload these by Tuesday night.

                          Please consider the articles a "virtual lei" in honor of Don's
                          inspiration of long ago.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 30, 2001
                            Good work on your part Cadia! You've certainly added a lot to Don's memory
                            with all of your work.....tj
                          • MauiBandB@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 1, 2001
                              For Each flower I string into a lei on lei day I will think of each of you.
                              For to Don Blandings Group each of you is a cherished lei.

                              Happy Lei Day

                              ALoha
                              Tom Fairbanks

                            • karen Cotter
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 1, 2001
                                Thanks, Tom - what a sweet thought! I can feel it and smell it already!
                                (Or is that my sweet dog's breath this morning on my face, reminding me
                                "IT'S BREAKFAST TIME!" !

                                I'm just teasing, Tom, I accept your lei with many mahalos!

                                Karen Leilani kittykowkow
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 1, 2001
                                  tj can still smell the flowers on the lei's sent to the Carmel show by
                                  Tom....We had guests very disappointed that they didn't get one just by
                                  showing up...thanks Tom, from Tom.......tj Maybe a show on Maui for the next
                                  Lei Day? What fun that would be to honor DB in such a way......tj
                                • MauiBandB@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 2, 2001
                                    Thanks Karen
                                    I did make the lei with a flower for each of you.

                                    aloha
                                    Tom

                                  • MauiBandB@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 3, 2001
                                      Yeah we gotta both retire and get on it TJ, before Bill boyd retires he is 70 you know.

                                      aloha
                                      TOm
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 3, 2001
                                        Well, get me some contacts that I can try to influence....If Bill Boyd is the
                                        MAN, then lets get on him....I can do a lot from the mainland to get this
                                        going, you don't have to do it all you know.....Is the Outrigger the best
                                        option? I've been down this road in Carmel and it took me 8 months to set it
                                        all up...and I'm just 100 miles away from Carmel and I can drive
                                        there.....Hawaii is much different for me....I have to have contacts like
                                        yourself to get things started.....

                                        What was the response to Lei Day on Maui???? Any newpaper coverage? If so,
                                        can you send me copies of whatever was published? That would help me with
                                        the local info and how it is perceived.

                                        My D Day is now less that 6 months away...then I am free to run......talk to
                                        me Mr. Maui Tom....I need you to get me started in the right
                                        direction.......tj
                                      • MauiBandB@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 3, 2001
                                          TJ

                                          Hope to have my D day before yours. There was a nice reminicising article on
                                          front page of my news with no ref to D B. The Outrigger did their fabulous
                                          lei day event again. I do believe that is the correct place to do it. We
                                          could do some other events in build up perhaps even one at the Inn.
                                          I called to wish Bill Happy lei day on the day but he was home ill I will
                                          contact in a day or two.

                                          aloha
                                          Tom