Re: [aloha-donblanding] David Mayo

  • MauiBandB@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2001
      There is a David Malo who was one of the first Hawaiian's to be educated
      after western contact. He was a scholar and translated many documents into
      hawaiian and recorded Hawaiian antiquities held in oral tradition to writting.

      There is a David Malo day celebrated at Lahainaluna High School the oldest
      public school west of the Rockies on or about May 1. Lahainaluna does not
      celebrate May day per say but David Malo day with similariites to May day. I
      do not know if Lahainaluna celebrated in the May day fashion prior to 1928 or
      not.
      However we all know that Blanding and Grace Tower started May Day.

      aloha
      Maui Tom
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2001
        Mahalo Tom,

        She said something about it starting at a High School in Hawaii. Thanks
        for the information.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2001
          Bev

          My wife graduated from Lahainaluna High School. She said they started
          celebrating David Malo day in late fifties or early sixties. So your patient
          was dead wrong.

          aloha
          Tom