David Mayo

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2001
      Maui Tom,

      Who is David Mayo?? I had a patient recently that insisted that he started
      Lei Day in Maui. She had never heard of DB and knew no else had started Lei
      Day in Hawaii. So who is this guy anyway???

    • MauiBandB@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 29, 2001
        There is a David Malo who was one of the first Hawaiian's to be educated
        after western contact. He was a scholar and translated many documents into
        hawaiian and recorded Hawaiian antiquities held in oral tradition to writting.

        There is a David Malo day celebrated at Lahainaluna High School the oldest
        public school west of the Rockies on or about May 1. Lahainaluna does not
        celebrate May day per say but David Malo day with similariites to May day. I
        do not know if Lahainaluna celebrated in the May day fashion prior to 1928 or
        not.
        However we all know that Blanding and Grace Tower started May Day.

        aloha
        Maui Tom
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2001
          Mahalo Tom,

          She said something about it starting at a High School in Hawaii. Thanks
          for the information.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 30, 2001
            Bev

            My wife graduated from Lahainaluna High School. She said they started
            celebrating David Malo day in late fifties or early sixties. So your patient
            was dead wrong.

            aloha
            Tom