Re: Today Is Here/The Gypsy Heart

  • keith2draw@home.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 26, 2001
      Bev,
      Nice work...and great find. If you happen to come across another copy
      of Gypsy Heart let me know. I sold my copy, and now I regret it.

      I don't have the flier with the cross and poem....Unidentified
      Wouldn't mind a copy of it.

      If I'm not mistaken, all of the Gypsy Heart drawings were
      reprints...but I'm not positive now. He did do a forward for it.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 27, 2001
        From tj to Bev:

        Was their a date on the postcard or note referencing DB's vacation to
        Guatamala? tj has two pictures of DB in Guatamala that was in his scrap
        book....this would help put the time line on the pictures for me....tj
      • keith2draw@home.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 27, 2001
          tj,
          I have the same centaur notecard that Bev mentioned, and in it
          Blanding states that he is finished with the manuscript for today is
          here, and that his greeting cards and the boxed talisman set (with
          medallion) will be released in early summer, along with his radio
          program "Vagabond's Castle."

          He then goes on to state that he will now go on vacation, probably to
          Guatamala. My copy is from the estate of Roy Gibson, and he wrote
          that he received it in April of 1946. So if DB did go to Guatamala,
          then it would have been in April/May of 1946.

          Keep in mind that Blanding also went to south/central
          America/Caribbean on several other occasions:

          1920 - Tours Guatemala, Honduras and Yucatan
          April 1940 - Visits Cuba
          Jan. 1941 - Visits Honduras and Gutatamala with Dorothy
          Aug. 1941 - Goes to Nassau, Bahamas with Dorothy
          Oct. 1941 - Visits Yucatan and Mexico City

          So your photos could also be from one of those trips from the early
          forties.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 27, 2001
            Keith, thanks.....1946 coordinates with the other news clippings in the scrap
            book. Underneath one photo is handwritten, "Guatamala", I would assume that
            both photo's are from the same trip...we need an archeologist to identify the
            ruins! Then we would be certain....I took some of my own photos of the scrap
            book but haven't gotten the pictures back yet so don't know if they are any
            good or not......I need Curt's set up to do this, I think....

            Also, tj, will work on the article again starting Monday and I have better
            ideas of the opening for it...tj is going up to Twain Harte Sat/Sun for a
            "hillbilly, western, bluegrassy" concert that will be a kick in the rear
            (stated politely)........
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 27, 2001
              TJ,

              No date. It says: “the manuscript and drawing for TODAY IS HERE are on the
              way to Dodd, Mead & Company and the book should be ready for Sept.
              publication”…the book came out in 1946. It also mentions the Talisman coming
              out in early summer, so I assume he sent everything in the fall of 1945.