RE: [aloha-donblanding] Today Is Here/The Gypsy Heart

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 26, 2001
      P.S.

      Don and Edythe both signed the ‘Today Is Here”

      Alden A. Alleman died in WWII

    • keith2draw@home.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 26, 2001
        Bev,
        Nice work...and great find. If you happen to come across another copy
        of Gypsy Heart let me know. I sold my copy, and now I regret it.

        I don't have the flier with the cross and poem....Unidentified
        Wouldn't mind a copy of it.

        If I'm not mistaken, all of the Gypsy Heart drawings were
        reprints...but I'm not positive now. He did do a forward for it.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 27, 2001
          From tj to Bev:

          Was their a date on the postcard or note referencing DB's vacation to
          Guatamala? tj has two pictures of DB in Guatamala that was in his scrap
          book....this would help put the time line on the pictures for me....tj
        • keith2draw@home.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 27, 2001
            tj,
            I have the same centaur notecard that Bev mentioned, and in it
            Blanding states that he is finished with the manuscript for today is
            here, and that his greeting cards and the boxed talisman set (with
            medallion) will be released in early summer, along with his radio
            program "Vagabond's Castle."

            He then goes on to state that he will now go on vacation, probably to
            Guatamala. My copy is from the estate of Roy Gibson, and he wrote
            that he received it in April of 1946. So if DB did go to Guatamala,
            then it would have been in April/May of 1946.

            Keep in mind that Blanding also went to south/central
            America/Caribbean on several other occasions:

            1920 - Tours Guatemala, Honduras and Yucatan
            April 1940 - Visits Cuba
            Jan. 1941 - Visits Honduras and Gutatamala with Dorothy
            Aug. 1941 - Goes to Nassau, Bahamas with Dorothy
            Oct. 1941 - Visits Yucatan and Mexico City

            So your photos could also be from one of those trips from the early
            forties.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 27, 2001
              Keith, thanks.....1946 coordinates with the other news clippings in the scrap
              book. Underneath one photo is handwritten, "Guatamala", I would assume that
              both photo's are from the same trip...we need an archeologist to identify the
              ruins! Then we would be certain....I took some of my own photos of the scrap
              book but haven't gotten the pictures back yet so don't know if they are any
              good or not......I need Curt's set up to do this, I think....

              Also, tj, will work on the article again starting Monday and I have better
              ideas of the opening for it...tj is going up to Twain Harte Sat/Sun for a
              "hillbilly, western, bluegrassy" concert that will be a kick in the rear
              (stated politely)........
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 27, 2001
                TJ,

                No date. It says: “the manuscript and drawing for TODAY IS HERE are on the
                way to Dodd, Mead & Company and the book should be ready for Sept.
                publication”…the book came out in 1946. It also mentions the Talisman coming
                out in early summer, so I assume he sent everything in the fall of 1945.