Today Is Here/The Gypsy Heart

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 26, 2001
      Where to start???

      Gypsy Heart:

      I have met with Victor Alleman and his wife Josephine at their home in
      Santa Ana. Vic does not know much about his Mom and DB. He and Josey married
      in 1943 and lived a few miles north of Emily. All he recalls is that his Mom
      wanted DB to come back from Hawaii and finish up the drawings for her book.
      He was “holding up production.”

      Vic’s sister died after birth…”the nurse gave her something and she
      died”…you know us nurses, we always “do it”.
      Vic’s brother died in WWII while in flight to somewhere….Josey couldn’t
      remember the details. All she remembers is that Emily happily helped with
      their wedding plans and after the wedding Josey found out Vic’s brother had
      died earlier in the year.

      Vic and Josey have been members of the Bowers Museum for years and he said
      he will try and get me into the research area.
      He gave me his copy of his mothers book to read. Love DB’s art…mostly from
      book he had done in the past. Emily’s work is ok.. I was to return it the
      following weekend and when I called to make an apt. I found out they were
      leaving the next morning for Maui for 3 weeks…they too love Hawaii. Told they
      to visit Hula Moons to learn more of DB. Hope they do.

      I will talk with them again in Feb. when they return.

      Today Is Here:

      So I go off to a local book store to get a copy of The Gypsy Heart for $8.50
      and decide to check out DB. There is a 1946 copy with DC and things inside.
      A flier with the cross and poem....Unidentified
      The song sheet…Be With Us,Lord, In Times of Peace
      A note card with the centaur on the front and a Aloha
      Friends on the backside.
      He said the book was off to the publisher. The Castle
      Company designed the correspondence cards, and the booklet and “charm” called
      A Talisman For You, backed by a radio program in the early summer “Vagabond’s
      Castle”
      Also that he was off to vacation, probably to Guatemala.

      All for $15.00.

      And that’s my update on The Gypsy Heart and Vic Alleman.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 26, 2001
        P.S.

        Don and Edythe both signed the ‘Today Is Here”

        Alden A. Alleman died in WWII

      • keith2draw@home.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 26, 2001
          Bev,
          Nice work...and great find. If you happen to come across another copy
          of Gypsy Heart let me know. I sold my copy, and now I regret it.

          I don't have the flier with the cross and poem....Unidentified
          Wouldn't mind a copy of it.

          If I'm not mistaken, all of the Gypsy Heart drawings were
          reprints...but I'm not positive now. He did do a forward for it.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 27, 2001
            From tj to Bev:

            Was their a date on the postcard or note referencing DB's vacation to
            Guatamala? tj has two pictures of DB in Guatamala that was in his scrap
            book....this would help put the time line on the pictures for me....tj
          • keith2draw@home.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 27, 2001
              tj,
              I have the same centaur notecard that Bev mentioned, and in it
              Blanding states that he is finished with the manuscript for today is
              here, and that his greeting cards and the boxed talisman set (with
              medallion) will be released in early summer, along with his radio
              program "Vagabond's Castle."

              He then goes on to state that he will now go on vacation, probably to
              Guatamala. My copy is from the estate of Roy Gibson, and he wrote
              that he received it in April of 1946. So if DB did go to Guatamala,
              then it would have been in April/May of 1946.

              Keep in mind that Blanding also went to south/central
              America/Caribbean on several other occasions:

              1920 - Tours Guatemala, Honduras and Yucatan
              April 1940 - Visits Cuba
              Jan. 1941 - Visits Honduras and Gutatamala with Dorothy
              Aug. 1941 - Goes to Nassau, Bahamas with Dorothy
              Oct. 1941 - Visits Yucatan and Mexico City

              So your photos could also be from one of those trips from the early
              forties.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 27, 2001
                Keith, thanks.....1946 coordinates with the other news clippings in the scrap
                book. Underneath one photo is handwritten, "Guatamala", I would assume that
                both photo's are from the same trip...we need an archeologist to identify the
                ruins! Then we would be certain....I took some of my own photos of the scrap
                book but haven't gotten the pictures back yet so don't know if they are any
                good or not......I need Curt's set up to do this, I think....

                Also, tj, will work on the article again starting Monday and I have better
                ideas of the opening for it...tj is going up to Twain Harte Sat/Sun for a
                "hillbilly, western, bluegrassy" concert that will be a kick in the rear
                (stated politely)........
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 27, 2001
                  TJ,

                  No date. It says: “the manuscript and drawing for TODAY IS HERE are on the
                  way to Dodd, Mead & Company and the book should be ready for Sept.
                  publication”…the book came out in 1946. It also mentions the Talisman coming
                  out in early summer, so I assume he sent everything in the fall of 1945.