Northwest-Blanding

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 25, 2001
      Aloha Carol,

      Welcome aboard our Vagabond trip. I was born and raised in North Seattle by
      the Aurora Bridge and always figured DB had been there. I can picture him at
      the Captains Table and even old Invar himself chatting with DB and friends. I
      use to work at Fredric and Nelson’s in the 50-60’s and can picture DB there
      also. He loved the mountains, etc. and I can see his Vagabond House on a
      lake, in the mountains of the Olympic Pen. It is in Seattle that I learned
      about DB when Dave Ballard use to read his work on the radio.

      Anyway, welcome, mahalo, mahalo for your input. We will all be waiting for
      more news from you.

      Bev.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 25, 2001
        Keith,

        I’ll ask Terry Carter at the Ontario Library to check it out.

        Bev.

        From: Keith Emmons [mailto:keith2draw@...]
        Subject: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Northwest-Blanding

        Two libraries in California with this book:

        Ontario City Library
        Palos Verdes Library District

      • SSchnei548@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 25, 2001
          Hi: I've just joined the group. I've been a fan of Don Blanding since I was
          a kid in the
          forties. I'd like to share the following: My uncle, Orre Nelson Nobles, who
          was an artist and art teacher in Seattte also ran an "original B & B , called
          Olympus Manor on Hood Canal west of Seattle on the Olympic Peninsula in the
          1920's thru 1955 where DB visited several times. Orre, a bohemian, was a
          friend of DB. I observed correspondence from and to DB. One letter said that
          the manor was an inspiration for Vagabond's House. My father, now 93,
          recalls having lunch with DB, Orre and my mother at the Captain's Table in
          Seattle in the late 40's or early 50's, also he says my mother and Orre met
          in Seattle a couple of times prior. More info later.

          I believe I have all books except: A Talisman, Flowers of the Rainbow,
          Command the Stars by Ruby Altizer, ill DB and Velvet Years by Stelle
          Flewelling, ill DB. Does anyone out there have any extra copy that they
          would like to sell? Also would like to know any info regarding DB's trips to
          the Northwest. Carol S.

        • Keith Emmons
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 25, 2001
            Carol,
            Welcome to the group...you've made our day!

            Your uncle sounds like he was a great person...but then again, I'm
            partial to artists. Blanding has stated that Dorothy and George
            Palmer Putnam's house in Bend, Oregon was the inspiration for
            Vagabond's House...but certainly it was probably a combination of
            many places he had been to and dreamed of throughout the years.

            I'll see if I can dig up some tales of the Northwest...an area that
            Blanding loved dearly.

            The reason you've made MY day is the reference to the book Velvet
            Days, which I had not heard of before. I did look it up on WorldCat,
            and came up with the following:

            Velvet Years
            by Stella Isenhower Flewelling, 64 pages
            Swordsman Publishing Company, Los Angeles, 1961
            (does not mention any illustrations)

            This of course would have been after Blanding had died, but Swordsman
            published two other books, A Laugh A Day (1962), by Robert
            Sherwood...and Haiku & Tanka (1963), by Edythe Hope Genee...both of
            which had Don Blanding illustrations - so I have no doubt that you
            are right.

            I did a quick book search on various search engines and did not
            locate a copy of this book...however, there were a few other books by
            the same author. How did you find out about this book, and do you
            know of others illustrated by Blanding?

            Thanks again Carol, and please share some of the stories you remember
            about Blanding.

            ~~~ Keith
          • Keith Emmons
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 25, 2001

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 26, 2001
                tj would be interested in learning more about Haiku and Tanka by Edithe....tj
                has been studying Haiku poetry for the last year and just started into
                reviewing modern Haiku poets.....DB definetely wasn't into Haiku as far as I
                can determine, but it is of interest that Edithe was.

                Also, tj has been studying the DB scrapbook found in Carmel and in it, are
                lists of Charpparel Poet members and some listing of a class with members in
                Glendale area...so Bev/Karen are you up to chasing down addresses??? The
                scrapbook contains info from 1943-1946, then stops......So, where is the next
                from scrapbook from 1946 on????
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 26, 2001
                  Sure,
                  I think there is a lot to find in Glendale area. That is where Armine
                  VonTempsky-Ball is buried and I have asked Forest Lawn for information on her
                  to see if I can find out more about her, DB and her husband Alfred Ball. Also
                  the main library has a Research/History section that I want to investigate.
                  To bad we didn’t start this a few years ago as the man that started this
                  section died in 98. He may have had a lot to tell.
                  Send the address my/our way , and as soon as I clean the files off the guest
                  bed of DB stuff and visit the U of Riverside…it will be on top of the away
                  research list.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 29, 2001
                    Karon or Dean,

                    Can you check on this book at the Palos Verdes Library to see if there is
                    DB art or poetry in it. Terry at the Ontario Library said their copy is gone.

                    Mahalo,

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 29, 2001
                      tj may have missed some of the dialogue recently, but tj has a copy of The
                      Velvet Years. It has illustrations by DB and states so on the dust cover.
                      The book was published in 1961. There are 8 illustrations......hope this
                      helps....tj
                    • bevbach@pacbell.net
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 28, 2001
                        Keith,

                        Did you ever get this book,,,Velvet Years????

                        Bev.

                      • keith2draw@home.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 28, 2001
                          Bev,