Re: [aloha-donblanding] Ebay, Ebay, Ebay - Hilo

  • TikiRoom18@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 25, 2001
      In a message dated 1/25/01 4:00:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      keith2draw@... writes:

      << Don Blanding signed postcard, Hilo, Hawaii - 546868857 >>

      I enjoyed hearing that DB spent a bit of time in my hometown. Too bad the
      address on the postcard was to a P O Box. It would have been most interesting
      (to me anyway I guess. . . ) to know where in Hilo he spent time exactly.
      I know from HULA MOONS that he spent time at the volcano, so probably this
      time in the late 30s on this postcard was not his first visit to Hilo.
      BTW, the Hilo Public Library has a decent Blanding book collection. It is
      where I first read his books and fell in love with his poetry and prose.
      Hmmm... could any work have been done for the Hilo paper while there? The
      Hilo Tribune-Herald has been publishing since before Blanding's trips....
      Anyway, nice to hear that DB spent at least one summer in and around Hilo.
      Now I can fantasize that he spent time in the very library I discovered his
      books at. . .

      Aloha
      Larry
    • Keith Emmons
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 25, 2001
        Larry,

        On July 25, 1937 the Hilo Tribune Herald ran a full-page cover
        article on Blanding, and the soon to be published book 'Rest of the
        Road.' He was visiting the Big Island at that time.

        Also, beginning on June 7th, 1939 he was staying in Hilo with his
        friends Scotty Creager and Ted Narramore. They were renting a roomy
        white-washed shack for $17 a month on Onekahakaha Beach called Hale
        Mahapi (the Bye-and-Bye House). Apparently it had a huge lanai, many
        windows, and showers under the house.

        Blanding returned to the mainland on Sept. 15th. Incidentally,
        Onekahakaha means "writings on the sand by rock-crabs at night."

        So Larry, do you have time to poke around the archives of the Hilo
        Tribune Herald for these dates?

        ~~ Keith
      • TikiRoom18@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 25, 2001
          In a message dated 1/25/01 9:31:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          keith2draw@... writes:

          << So Larry, do you have time to poke around the archives of the Hilo
          Tribune Herald for these dates? >>

          Sorry Keith. I would love to, but Atlanta is my current home. I am very
          familiar with Onekahakaha beach area and do remember a lot of the older
          houses down there. perhaps if I ever plan a trip "home" I can schedule in
          some library research too!
          There is a great tidal pool at Onekahakaha Beach that traps in all sorts of
          sea creatures. It's a wonderful spot to safely snorkel in and see all types
          of aquatic life in relatively shallow water. I saw my first pair of Moorish
          Idol fish dancing and twirling underwater there and also recall coming home
          that night ( I was in my early 20s) and writing a Blanding-esque tribute to
          the tidal pool. Spooky that Blanding may have actually also swam in that same
          tidal pool.
          Great information Keith! Thanks for bringing this summer of Blanding's to
          clear life for me!

          Aloha
          Larry