RE: [aloha-donblanding] California Buddies

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 9, 2000
      Aloha everyone,

      Cadia and Keith are right…its’ been a great year for DB and we have learned
      a lot about him. This is my first year on a computer and because of this
      group, I have learned a lot. I am looking forward to working with Karen
      Cotter in researching all these names in our area. After the Holidays are
      over Karen and I will have to meet up and research with Dean BIG TIME.
      Until then, I am still moving from hotmail to PacBell…amazing what one
      collects in a year.

      Aloha oe,

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 9, 2000
        TJ,

        Does he live in Calif. or Hawaii. If he is in So. Calif. like his
        grandparents, we could look him up.

        Has anyone besides tj been in contact with Allen Sawtelle? I see research on
        his family coming out....tj

        eGroups Sponsor
        Click Here!
        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=102308.1038796.2731130.908943/D=egroupmail/S=1700020083
        :N/A=466330/?http://www.yahoo.com>

      • Keith Emmons
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 10, 2000
          Bev,
          I've made a partial list of Blanding friends from Southern California
          (as requested), sorted by town/area (with some addresses):

          HOLLYWOOD
          Bond, Carrie Jacobs (1862-1946) - Musician friend (2042 Pinehurst Rd.)
          Bray, Helen (?-1963) - Poet friend of Don's.
          Brown, Elinor Edith Henry (1911-?) - Poet friend (11123 Erwin St.)
          Clark, Franklyn - Photographer friend.
          Creager, Scott Crawford (1903-1940) - Met Don while writing scripts.
          Genee, Edythe Hope (1904-1976) - Poet friend (1154 Ogden).
          Genee, Fred - Friend, husband of Edythe Hope Genee.
          Glen, Irma (?-1983) - Composer of music for local Church and album.
          Hull, Ada Virginia Shaw (1894-1982) - Local poet, musical .
          Hull, Alonzo "Lonnie" Bemis - Photographer of Don, Ada's husband.
          Joy, Herman C. - Principal of the Hollywood Adult Evening School.
          Keith, Joseph Joel (?-1967) - Poet friend, also knew Northe.
          Kuno, Hazel Flora (1908-1990) - Hollywood Evening School poet.
          London, Jean "Babe" (1901-1980) - Early silent film actress.
          Luez, Laurette (1928-1999) - Modelled Blanding's clothing.
          Luke, Keye (1904-1991) - Actor & artist.
          Mundy, Lucy - Poet friend (1835 N. Argyle, Hollywood).
          Page, Paul - Lounge musician. 'I Remember Blanding' album.
          Reynolds, Adeline de Walt (1862-1961) - Elderly actress friend.
          Venuti, Giuseppe "Joe" (1903-1978) - Musician on album.
          Wichita, Frank - Studied music with Don at UCLA.

          LOS ANGELES
          Handley, Peggy - Don's Secretary (1326 Virgil Place).

          PASADENA
          Moore, Frank Montague (1877-1967) - Artist friend, lived in Pasadena.
          Royce, Stephen - client, The Huntington Hotel.

          SAN DIEGO
          Benbough, Leglar - Friend, son of Percy J. Benbough.
          Benbough, Percy J. - Friend, Don stayed at his house,
          `Descanso.'

          SAN LUIS OBISPO
          Sawtelle, Edwin (1886-1973) - Good friend (93433 Arroyo Grande).
          Sawtelle, carmen (1891-1976) - Good friend (93433 Arroyo Grande).

          SANTA ANA
          Alleman, Emily Carey (1893-1990) - Poet friend (202 West 18th Street).
          May, Buelah (1883-?) - Poet friend, wrote column (1002 Mabury St).

          SIERA MADRE
          Shippey, Lee Henry (1884-1969) - Author and columnist.

          ONTARIO
          Copeland, Margaret Scott - Poet friend, author (303 Rosewood).
          Northe, James Neill (1903-1993) - Poet friend, author (303
          Rosewood).

          I hope these give you some research ideas Bev.
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 10, 2000
            Keith and Bev,

            The SSDI lists Carmen Sawtelle as residing in Grover Beach, San Luis
            Obispo County, CA 93433 in 1976.

            Edwin Sawtelle is listed as residing in Los Angeles, Los Angeles
            County, CA 90036 when he died in 1973.

            In 1956, both were living in San Bernardino.

            Bev, armed with all the names that Keith has provided, you should be
            well-equipped to search both California and Hawaii newspaper indices,
            among other sources.

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 10, 2000
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 10, 2000
                tj,
                I'd like to contact him...I just didin't want to cut in on your
                action. But if it's O.K., I'll email him tomorrow.
                Keith

                --- In aloha-donblanding@egroups.com, TJMarkle@c... wrote:
                > Has anyone besides tj been in contact with Allen Sawtelle? I see
                research on
                > his family coming out....tj
              • karen Cotter
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 11, 2000
                  Hi Bev! It will be fun to get together and compare stories, etc. I told
                  Cadia my middle name is "Leilani" -gag- nothing like a German/Dane/Scot with
                  a name like that! A reminder of my mom and dad's romantic meeting on the
                  Lurline! Ha ha!

                  I know Tustin well...you can't get in and you can't get out! My mechanic
                  was off Dyer Rd. E and west of Red Hill and he was so good I struggled down
                  there for years. I was almost relieved when he moved to Flagstaff!

                  Hopefully we can find a restaurant off the I-5 halfway...I'm sure we can!

                  Karen Leilani Thorsen Cotter :o)
                  11728 Hartsook St.
                  Valley Village, CA 91607 (North Hollywood)

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 11, 2000
                    From tj: Allen Sawtelle lives in Las Vegas right now....he doesn't seem
                    interested in being on with the egroup, but we do email each other a lot. I
                    just didn't know if anyone else had made contact with him or not.......tj