[aloha-donblanding] Interesting item on ebay tonight

  • TikiRoom18@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2000
      I can seem to get the pictures on this one, takes FOREVER to load on my olde
      computere... but.. looks interesting.. 4 Blanding Books.. two signed.. and
      claims to have 4 pages of handwritten notes on the poem "Names Are Ships"..
      starting out a cool $150.00 it is far more than I am willing to pay, but...
      will someone who can download these pictures let me/us know if they are notes
      written by Blanding? What's your appraisal of it? Here's the URL:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=249490539

      Aloha
      larry
    • Keith Emmons
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2000
        Larry,

        Some of the photos did not load... probably a wrong link address by the
        seller. What does show is fascinating. Could it actually be his
        original hand-written version of 'Names Are Ships'? WOW! That would
        have to be worth more than the $150 in itself... but STILL out of my
        budget. On the letter is a return address of 51 West 44th Street...
        could this be his New York Vagabond's Studio? Cadia, does this jive
        with the address that you have?

        Keith

        tikiroom1-@... wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/aloha-donblanding/?start=
        192

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2000
          I contacted the author on the 4 books and hand written material. He got it
          at an estate sale and doesn't have any desire to keep it. He says everything
          is ledgible, word for word. I forgot to ask what city he obtained it in, not
          that this would tell me much more about it. I might be bidding on it, but
          I've bought so much in the last two months, my "fun" money is getting
          low......It would be hard to pass up, but it seems that more and more
          material of "historical" value is beginning to show up these days. It used
          to be just books out there. This is good, but the pocket book can only
          stand so much.......
        • TikiRoom18@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2000

            << I contacted the author on the 4 books and hand written material. He got
            it
            at an estate sale and doesn't have any desire to keep it. He says
            everything
            is ledgible, word for word. >>

            Have we established that these are Don's notes for "Names Are Ships"? Or
            are they a reader's notations? It is interesting how many people have
            personal items of Don's in their books... Of course we know that he was a
            generous signer...How many other writers will people cut out their photos
            from newspapers and tape them into their books? Don must have been carrying
            on a massive amount of correspondance with his readers...and it seems that
            many of them tucked these letters into his books for us to find... I see a
            lot of old books and I cannot find anything like this with any other
            writers....

            Aloha
            Larry
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 31, 2000
              Keith and Larry,

              I do not have the NY studio address at hand, but I believe it was in the EAST
              30s or 40s. However, he probably had more than one location at various times.
              I recall seeing the address and realizing it was only a few block from where I
              had lived on E 36th Street in the Murray Hill District, during the 1960s.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 31, 2000
                I was a little suspicious of the authenticity of the written material
                myself. I always see and possess written material from DB that is typed, not
                hand written. But, I am going to check it out more as I have interest in
                purchasing it. If it is pre-war, then it could be more authentic with me.
                We'll see. I plan to have more discussions with the seller/owner via
                email.....