Correspondence, Obituaries, Publications

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 26, 2000
      I've posted new material in the Correspondence, Obituaries and
      Publications areas of the Files.

      Of particular interest is the list of 2nd lieutenants who traveled in
      October 1918 aboard the S. S. Colombia of the Pacific Mail Steamship
      Co. Several friends of DB were Otis L. Butler, Urban E. Wild and
      Lesley (Leslie) Youngs Correthers.

      In a 1956 S-B Hawaii Says Aloha column, Correthers is referred to
      as "Reg":

      "Reg Correthers, whom many kamaainas will remember as a producer of
      beautiful pageants and shows back around 1912-1916, and myself stayed
      on in Rockford, Illinois, after being discharged as second
      lieutenants from Camp Grant after the First World War. He taught in
      a school, and I took the job of Director of the Art Guild there."

      Queston: How could DB have studied for a year or two in Paris and
      London if he was working in 1919-1920 as a poster illustrator in
      Chicago and then as an instructor in Rockford?

      ~~Cadia
    • Keith Emmons
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 27, 2000
        Cadia,
        In the 1921 Cupola, yearbook for the Rockford Collage, Leslie Y.
        Correthers' picture is right next to Blanding.

        I believe Blanding was only in Europe for about six months...nine at
        the most. He seems to have constantly exaggerated the amount of time
        he stayed in places.

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 27, 2000
          Allen Sawtelle says he has two photo's of DB while in Paris....I haven't seen
          them yet as they are packed away and he hasn't unpacked them yet. Hopefully,
          the photo's might have dates attached to them....tj will email him again and
          see if he can find them...also, he says that the photo's are of DB sort of,
          well, ah, er, well, nude....tj
        • Keith Emmons
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 27, 2000
            tj,
            I think Blanding probably posed nude for art classes in Paris.
            It looks like we'll get to know him even better than we expected...
            (birthday suit and all!)
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 27, 2000
              I have an email back from Allen Sawtelle, who says he has knowledge of DB's
              stay in Europe as DB related it to him....Allen wants to talk at me on the
              phone, and I also, wanted him to put it in writing or record it for
              posterity....I'll email later, after I speak further with Allen...tj
            • bevbach@pacbell.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 29, 2001
                --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., TJMarkle@c... wrote:
                > Allen Sawtelle says he has two photo's of DB while in Paris....I
                haven't seen
                > them yet as they are packed away and he hasn't unpacked them yet.
                Hopefully,
                > the photo's might have dates attached to them....tj will email him
                again and
                > see if he can find them...also, he says that the photo's are of DB
                sort of,
                > well, ah, er, well, nude....tj

                TJ,

                Did Allen ever get these photo's to you? I could visit him and
                copy them at Kinko's the nest time in Los Vagas if ok with Allen.

                Let me know.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 29, 2001
                  Bev: No I did not get any pictures from Allen Sawtelle yet. I have my
                  requests in and I'm sure he will reciprocate when he gets to it.......tj