Val Samuelson

  • Keith Emmons
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 25, 2000
      Well...we've missed out on another living connection to Blanding. The
      artist Val Samuelson, who Blanding mentions on page 10 of TODAY IS
      HERE passed away earlier this spring. Here is his obit:

      VAL SAMUELSON, 87

      Vallance Arnold Samuelson, 87, of Cathedral City died on Feb.
      29, 2000, at home.

      He was born on Feb. 27, 1913, to Carl and Marie Thompson Samuelson in
      Barrett, Minn. He married Marian Gibbs on May 28, 1960, in San
      Bernardino.

      Mr. Samuelson's careers included easel painter, exhibiting his
      work
      nationwide; advertising agency director; editor of Villager Magazine
      (which became Palm Springs Life); art educator and innovator of a
      weekly art education show on television station KMIR; art director
      for the Palm Springs Desert Museum for 12 years; and hypnotist.

      Mr. Samuelson is survived by his wife, Marian.

      Services are pending and interment will be in Desert Memorial Park in
      Cathedral City under the direction of Wiefels and Son Funeral
      Directors of Palm Springs.

      ---------------

      Blanding was friends with Val in the mid-40's, and had him design the
      cover for TODAY IS HERE. A photo of Val can be seen in the links
      section of this group, in the Great Plains Museum's Photopoint
      album...10th photo from the top.

      Do you guys think we should contact Marion Samuelson in Palm Springs,
      and ask her some questions?

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 25, 2000
        Keith,

        Thanks for the obit of Val Samuelson; I've posted it in the
        Obituaries file. What is the publication source and date?

        If you can locate an address, I think a letter to Marian Samuelson
        would be in order. However, given that she married Val in 1960, she
        may not have known Blanding at all.

        ~~Cadia
      • Keith Emmons
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 25, 2000
          Cadia,
          Thanks for all the feedback.

          I'll add Butler and Correthers to the list. I have at least fifty
          more names to add of my own (all on scraps of paper) which I'll add
          over time - I just wanted to get what I had up and running as an aid
          to others. Please let me know what the typos are so that I can
          correct over the weekend.

          I don't think Marion will have known Blanding at all...I'm just
          hoping she can tell us if Val had any correspondence or artwork of
          his. I think Blanding loved exchanging his paintings and
          illustrations with fellow artists.

          Keith
        • Keith Emmons
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 25, 2000
            Bev,
            That would be great if you could follow up on the Val Samuelson lead.

            Cadia,
            The obit for Val was from The Desert Sun, a Palm Springs newspaper,
            Obituaries for Friday, Mar. 3, 2000.

            Keith
          • Beverly Leinbach